wildrob

wing loading??

The type of canopy has no effect on wingloading. Wingloading is simply your exit weight divided by the size of the canopy.

The canopy fight characteristics however do change with the change in the type of canopy.

A good rule of thumb when changing canopy types to stay at the same size then downsize on the same platform.

huh ?

Wingloading is your weight divided by the canopy size. It has nothing to do with the type of canopy.

Are you asking if you should load hybrid wings different from ZP ?
If so, in my opinion, it should not make a difference, especially with the canopies you listed (Silhouette and Pulse). But I am not your instructor.

Wing loading is a mathematical formula that only involves size and weight...

The desired wing loading is dependent on the canopy and the pilot.

So to answer your second question... it depends. Do you want the new canopy's flight characteristics to be as similar to the old one as possible?

ETA: Damn I was slow typing that...
"Damn you Gravity, you win again"

>I mean I jumped a sabre 190, it was fine for me, loaded at 1.14, if
>i replace it with a pulse or a shiloette 190 can i expect the same lift . . .

Literally yes. At a 1.14 loading, every 190 square foot canopy will generate almost exactly the same amount of lift (about 210 lbs.)

However, they will all flare differently. Pulses flare differently than Silhouettes, which flare differently that Sabre 2's. The Sils have a "Sabre1 like" flare, which means you get most of the lift early in the stroke. If you're used to this and jump a Safire (for example) you may think the Safire has 'no lift' because not much happens when you flare initially. Likewise, if you're used to the Safire, you may start the flare on the Sil, balloon upwards, then try to use the bottom half to slow yourself down a second time, and get very little remaining lift. You may think that the Sil therefore has "no lift."

But both will get your vertical speed to zero when flown correctly.

Try reading the article - entitled "Wing-Loading" that I wrote for CANPARA Magazine back in 1983.

The simple mathematical calculation is not affected by fabric type ... however, you should follow manufacturers' guidelines on how heavily you should load a specific model of canopy.