DebaucheroRdrgz

Riser flaps opening in free fall...

Hey everyone... I was able to hold a decent head down on my last couple skydives, and while I was thinking I was Mr. Cooldude in freefall I felt some flapping on my arms and looked over and my risers had come out of the riser covers and were flapping around! I said ahh! and bellied out for the rest of the dive and pulled. The rig I'm using these days is an older javelin, and it seems like the tabs on the riser covers aren't very stiff. They don't want to stay put in their little slot. Is this something where a rigger could just replace that stiff piece inside, or should I send it all the way back to the manufacturer for repairs?

--Thanks

I have an old Javelin as well and exactly the same problem... My rigger put some extra stiffener in, but it doesn't help a lot. Although I like the harness a lot, I'm starting to look around to buy a new one. I'm a belly flyer but whenever I have to float on exit or when I'm in a funnel, the covers start to flap.I've heard from other people with the same harness and the same problem...

"Ha ! I laugh at danger and drop ice cubes down the vest of fear ..." (Blackadder)

Please give us some more to go on.

Your profile says you have a Mirage G4.

How old is your "older Javelin"? The Packing Data Card should include the Date Of Manufacture information.

Depending on how old it really is, it might not be one of the more freefly friendly systems.

For instance, I'd never suggest freeflying my 1994 Javelin.

That's funny, I've got about 400 freefly jumps and a total of 1500 jumps on my 1994 Javelin and I've never had a riser cover or flap (main or reserve) open.

Each case is different I suppose, just trying to point out that the DOM isn't everything.

That's funny, I've got about 400 freefly jumps and a total of 1500 jumps on my 1994 Javelin and I've never had a riser cover or flap (main or reserve) open.

Each case is different I suppose, just trying to point out that the DOM isn't everything.

What do you do about the non-tuck reserve cover flap? You must be doing something to keep it closed in a sit, no?

Bridle protection isn't particularly good either.

While DOM isn't everything, there have been a lot of improvements to the rig since mine was built.

I don't think those improvements were completely unnecessary.

There are few things I dislike about my Javelin, one os the velcro on my PUD, and the other is the non-tuck reserve flat, that being said, I've never, not once, had my flap come up. A nice indication of how secure the flap is can be seen when checking your reserve pin doing a gear check. Mine fit nice and tight between the flap and the pilot chute.

I've also heard that if you're stuffing a larger reserve in there than should be, it can cause the riser covers to open. Mine takes a 143, and that's what I have as well as a Vigil.

I've also never had a problem with my bridle cover, but I have a pull out deployment system, so it's slightly different than most (pull out systems).

True, generally speaking, older gear was less than freefly friendly.

" ... I've also heard that if you're stuffing a larger reserve in there than should be, it can cause the riser covers to open. ...

"

Yes!
And you will encounter the same problem if you pack an older (pre-2000) Javelin according to the Javelin Oddessey manual, because you will end up with too much bulk across the top of the reserve container and all that extra bulk will prevent the main riser covers form staying closed.
Older Javelins reserves should be packed thin across the top edge, similar to a Vector.

" ... I've also heard that if you're stuffing a larger reserve in there than should be, it can cause the riser covers to open. ...

"

Yes!
And you will encounter the same problem if you pack an older (pre-2000) Javelin according to the Javelin Oddessey manual, because you will end up with too much bulk across the top of the reserve container and all that extra bulk will prevent the main riser covers form staying closed.
Older Javelins reserves should be packed thin across the top edge, similar to a Vector.

You riggers are a bunch of sourpusses... just slap on a piece of duct tape, damn!

to the op, im just kidding, dont ever tape your rig!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

It's like a 95 or 94 I think. It's in great shape and does good in a sit, but back flying or head down seems to get the covers loose. I'll get it fixed as best as it can be and then evaluate it again.

My profile isn't updated, and it probably has wrong stuff in it. I don't put a lot of stock into what people put on these internet profiles.

I see a fair amount of flaps on other jumpers coming out while getting ready and regularly tuck them back in for them.

I never understood this system as it seems to wear down faster than my velcro which has worked perfectly since new. It keeps the flaps nice and tight.

I didn't read other threads on it but there must be some of us who advocate the use of velcro as it works for me.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime