Melissa126

very NEW- want to learn about GEAR

Hello everyone! I made my first tandem last week (totally hooked!), and plan on taking an AFF course and getting certified when I save up a bit more.
I REALLY want to learn everything I can about gear, but am not sure where to turn for the information. I've searched through posts and posts on the forum but most are too technical for me to grasp. Where could I turn for this kind of information? I'd like to learn the different kinds, how the rigs work, what does what, what causes what, the in's and the outs. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you

Taking your first AFF1 course will teach you everything about malfunctions, how the rig works, the in's and outs for the most part. I am learning more on a daily basis just by being at the DZ. I just passed my AFF7 yesterday!
Some of the greatest accomplishments were done by people too stupid to know they were impossible.

Hey, I'm in the same boat. I hope get a lot of responses to this because I would love to learn all I can too. Honestly though the best bet might be to read a lot of threads and posts and search for anything specific. The search function on this site kind of leaves something to be desired but it works well enough. Be prepared for the chance of some rudeness and of course you have to filter anything seems like bad info or advice. Good luck!

Nothing wrong with hanging around the drop zone and learning about jumping. We would make u feel welcome at our dz. Why dont u go and find the local rigger and ask him when he is next doing a reserve re pack and ask if u can sit in and watch him pack it. Im sure for the cost of a few beers he would be happy to show you how it all works.

Ignore the HowStuffWorks link. It sucks.

The first source of good skydiving information is your instructors. If you've done only a tandem, then ask your tandem instructor about the gear you jumped. If you're in the AFF program, then stick to your AFF instructors.

I can recommend two great books, both written by people who have AFF ratings (among other things).

JUMP - Skydiving Made Fun and Easy, by Tom Buchanan: http://www.amazon.com/JUMP-Skydiving-Made-Fun-Easy/dp/0071410686

and

Parachuting: The Skydiver's handbook, by Dan Poyntner: http://www.amazon.com/Parachuting-Skydivers-Handbook-Dan-Poynter/dp/1568601417/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Be careful about accepting advice from people who are not AFF instructors. Much of it will be wrong.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Packing.

Stop by the DZ and ask to talk to one of the riggers and see when they're doing a packing class. Might cost a few bucks (or some beer) but you'll learn all about the gear. If you can get signed off you might find some work at the DZ as a packer to help scrap up the $$$ for AFF (plus you'll need to learn how to pack to get your A-license anyways so it's not like the experience will go to waste).

After that if you still have the bug to learn more about the gear, take a riggers course (Rigger's are the people certificated by the FAA to repack reserves, repair gear and make modifications (minor repairs are done by Senior Parachute Riggers and major repairs and modifications are done by Master Parachute Riggers)).

Dont do AFP, it promotes bad body position. If you want to skydive then just jump into AFF.
Go to a wind tunnel.. that might help you understand a little more
Most important talk to your instructors.. they have dealt with these questions over and over.. you will be surprised

I have spent more time in the chair than in the air.. thats how you learn more about this sport, coming out and doing 1 jump and leaving, just to come back in time so you wont go uncurrent makes you dangerous...

Good luck
6 in 2 out

Dont do AFP, it promotes bad body position. If you want to skydive then just jump into AFF.
Go to a wind tunnel.. that might help you understand a little more
Most important talk to your instructors.. they have dealt with these questions over and over.. you will be surprised

I have spent more time in the chair than in the air.. thats how you learn more about this sport, coming out and doing 1 jump and leaving, just to come back in time so you wont go uncurrent makes you dangerous...

Good luck

I'm in PA.. there's not really any wind tunnels that I know of within a few states unfortunately...
From what I was told at the dz, the only difference (if I took AFP) was that I would have a few tandem's before I started the rest of the aff levels.. it appealed to me knowing that I would have an instructor with me while learning canopy control. How does it promote bad body position? (not arguing, just trying to understand since I know Nothing practically!)

How does it promote bad body position?

The ideal leg position for a tandem passenger in freefall - legs bent with feet on or nearly on the instructors butt - is not the ideal body position for an AFF student. In that body position, the student will be sliding backwards if they had a rig on their back instead of a tandem instructor; it can also create spin issues at Cat C (release jumps). It is very common for people who have done one or more tandems to revert to this body position on AFF jumps, and it can be tough to change that "muscle memory".

Besides the body position in freefall, there is also the landing position. On a tandem, the instructors feet land first; the passenger pulls their feet up in front of them, ideally until just after the instructors feet have made contact with the earth. Do that under a solo canopy and it's quite possible that you will land on your tailbone. This can be painful - broken tailbones and spinal injuries are not uncommon when people try to land even big slow student canopies in that body position.