Ron

Have you seen someone die in this sport?

I haven't and hope never to see it happen...did have a real close call when a skydiver was spinning violently and I was outside the hanger watching the whole thing...he didn't release his main (couldn't find his handles for some reason) and cypress fired so reserve deployed but then both canopies went downplane so close to the ground but right before he impacted the ground, reserve came back above his head but he hit the ground hard...one of the luckiest guy I have met since he only walked away with a sprained ankle. He hit a soft marshy area. Scared the shit out of me, I was screaming and others were running out of the hanger to see why I was screaming...it was a scary moment for us all and very quiet for a little while after the incident because we didn't know if he survived after hitting the ground.
PMS #113
PMTS #19

My Best Friend died and came back, he landed one cell right on top of the # 13 at the end of the concrete runway.
He was dead for almost 5 minutes and they zapped him back....yes he tells of the light and seing and talking to dead father and his murdered buddy, remembers coming back into his body knowing it was going to hurt like hell.
He described the OR exactly as it was, to the detail of the people who were there and it what position, he drew a duagram exactly as it was, the Doctors were very impressed.
His heel went through his shoe and his sunglasses through his forehead, he had several fractures and several surgeries, he now jumps more than ever, he figures what are the chances of going in twice....ah yes some scumbag stole his wallet and rig would you beleive that?

LIFE IS LIKE A CIGARETTE, YOU CAN SIT THERE AND WATCH IT BURN AWAY OR YOU CAN SMOKE THAT BITCH TO THE FILTER

My Best Friend died and came back, he landed one cell right on top of the # 13 at the end of the concrete runway.
He was dead for almost 5 minutes and they zapped him back....yes he tells of the light and seing and talking to dead father and his murdered buddy, remembers coming back into his body knowing it was going to hurt like hell.
He described the OR exactly as it was, to the detail of the people who were there and it what position, he drew a duagram exactly as it was, the Doctors were very impressed.
His heel went through his shoe and his sunglasses through his forehead, he had several fractures and several surgeries, he now jumps more than ever, he figures what are the chances of going in twice....ah yes some scumbag stole his wallet and rig would you beleive that?

completely amazing:o

Ive seen two...a guy and later, a girl. I have known many who died taking part in the sport..but wasnt there when they bought the farm. I lost 16 friends on one jump, into Lake Erie, Aug 27 1967. I know three or four who committed suicide, but only 1 of those while jumping. Bill Cole D41

Bill,
There are not many who have heard of the Lake Erie jump and fewer of us that remember it.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Sadly enough yes. At the WFFC yesterday. Had to pach up and leave. I'm not sure what I would do without skydiving, but the death yesterday really has me thinking.

just read the incident report on that death. how sad. my sympathy goes out to pops' family and friends.

I visited a DZ in the UK on a trip home once, saw someone land under a spinning mal after a board jump, and he didn't survive. I didn't know him, but the feeling of loss amongst everyone there that day was very strong.

I visited a DZ in the UK on a trip home once, saw someone land under a spinning mal after a board jump, and he didn't survive. I didn't know him, but the feeling of loss amongst everyone there that day was very strong.

I was there that day - horrible, horrible day. :(

Vicki

I had to vote no as I've yet (knock on wood) to actually physically see someone die in this sport. But I do know a friend (our beloved FreeFlyHol) who's passed on.

I just got back from Rantoul with mixed feelings. I enjoyed my time there, but at the same time I saw too much dangerous (jumping and post jumping) shit happening with people getting hurt and of course the fellow from Michigan dying.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Nope was Homestead, lived down the street, brother is Bob, also was a jumper. Al was on the second pass with Hartman? I think was his name, when the controller had the B-25 on screen. Al took my cherry for RW, I got his for CReW, last I heard he was in Arizona/New Mexico area.

I never seen one but i knew somebody who passed away skydiving. The first one was the person that most inspired me in skydiving "Patrick De Gayardon" met him during a no limits tour in italy, the other a good friend met at Empuria and helped me in the path of being a better freeflyer "Lele Dassori". I remember spending long night at the surf inn loughing.:(:( Miss him a hell.......

Keep the dream alive, be safe
Madflying

Thankfully I have not witnessed a fatality.

Even more thankfully, there haven't been any at the two dropzones I've frequented since I started jumping last september.

Ditto...I have been lucky...I just hope it lasts...:|

~R+R:)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

I've never seen it happen but I've had five friends die in the sport. Four went in back in the 70's. One had a mid-air collision on a 300-way attempt.

This is depressing to talk about, but I think it does make us more aware of what can happen. A lot of new jumpers actually think driving to the airport is more dangerous than jumping.....Steve1