quadrevium

New gear, did I make a good choice? (your opinion)

OK, this is my first (new) rig I've bought. I want to know your full opinion of the gear I bought dont hold anything back. Also I want to know if I got a decent deal. So you have a better idea to judge my gear by I have 79 jumps and I am 195 pounds.

Ok, so I bought a Wings Container, Articulated harness, Cut in Laterals, custom colors (see pic) all stainless steel, a Safire 2, 209 main, a smart 189 reserve, with a vigil 2 AAD (I know I will get a lot of shit about buying a vigil (but I want to know why you think its good or bad)

I paid just around 5800 for it. This includes shipping, completely assembled and packed, sent to my door.

What do you think?

(The safire 2 is a lime green with black cell walls)
-Eddie B (feel free to message)
www.facebook.com/eddie.d.bryant

OK, this is my first (new) rig I've bought. I want to know your full opinion of the gear I bought dont hold anything back. Also I want to know if I got a decent deal. So you have a better idea to judge my gear by I have 79 jumps and I am 195 pounds.

Ok, so I bought a Wings Container, Articulated harness, Cut in Laterals, custom colors (see pic) all stainless steel, a Safire 2, 209 main, a smart 189 reserve, with a vigil 2 AAD (I know I will get a lot of shit about buying a vigil (but I want to know why you think its good or bad)

I paid just around 5800 for it. This includes shipping, completely assembled and packed, sent to my door.

What do you think?

(The safire 2 is a lime green with black cell walls)

OK. :D

I think you're just looking for some kind of approval, because you don't have confidence in your own purchase.

I'll say, good choice, all of what you got is good gear..

The only downside I see is the huge ass main canopy, you shoulda went smaller, because you'll get bored of that big ass canopy soon..
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

I think you're just looking for some kind of approval, because you don't have confidence in your own purchase.

I'll say, good choice, all of what you got is good gear..

The only downside I see is the huge ass main canopy, you shoulda went smaller, because you'll get bored of that big ass canopy soon..

Listen to Sangi, he knows everything about everything. Just ask him.:|

A big canopy can be less than exciting. But it is also more forgiving as one learns how to fly said canopy and makes a mistake. Learn how to sink it in, make it float as long as possible to get back from a long spot, land crosswind & down wind, make flat turns. Then when you downsize, it will be easier to do those same tasks, with less risk since you have those skills in your toolbox. A panic turn on a big canopy can hurt you. A panic turn on an undersized canopy can do much worse.

And if you have a chance, take a canopy skills course as soon as you can. Learning good habits early is much better than breaking old habits and relearning.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Don't pay attention to others that might encourage you to have a smaller main. The wingloading you will have is a really good way to not get injured. Plenty of fun can be had with that canopy.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Well, you'll see, you'll get bored of that big canopy soon.. Unless you got crap loads of cash and can downsize whenever you wish :P

Shoulda went around 30 sqft less...

Well, you'll see, you'll get bored of that big canopy soon.. Unless you got crap loads of cash and can downsize whenever you wish :P

His wingloading is going to be very appropriate.

Not everyone wants a high wingloading. Plenty of people find it exciting enough at that wingloading. Plenty of people want nothing more out of a landing than for it to be easy and soft.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

He won't get bored if he chooses to learn everything he can learn on the bigger canopy. He won't get bored pushing it all the way to it's limits.

Too many people aren't willing to put the time and effort into learning how to really fly a canopy. They are too lazy to do it right, so they say "It's boring" and downsize. They want to go fast the easy way, not knowing they can go fast if they do it right.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Things to make you proud of yourself:
Main canopy:
- sweet openings and flight
- Vectran lineset which means it will keep its performance and opening characteristics through its lifespan
Container:
- One of the best benefit/cost ratios on the market IMO
- Custom sized so it will be comfortable and (most important) safe
Reserve:
- Along with PD one with the highest maximum weight limits and one of the best on the market

Overall: great acquisition! Congratulations and have fun! :)

Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

He won't get bored if he chooses to learn everything he can learn on the bigger canopy. He won't get bored pushing it all the way to it's limits.

If boring ass slow student type flights are the limits you want to push then yeh..

You can't even decently front riser these huge canopies, so you're far from going into canopy piloting limits..

If boring ass slow student type flights are the limits you want to push then yeh..

You can't even decently front riser these huge canopies, so you're far from going into canopy piloting limits..

A Safire2 at a little over 1:1 isn't going to be "slow student type" flying. "Decently front risering" it isn't hard, unless you have no upper body strength.

I agree that front risering some of the huge canopies is near impossible, I could use both hands on the front riser of a Manta 288 and lift myself up completely without deforming the canopy in the slightest, but there's a difference between that and a Safire2, isn't there?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

but there's a difference between that and a Safire2, isn't there?

There's a difference between advise from a seasoned instructor and a 100 jump wonder spouting brainless bullshit...don't feed the trolls, let Darwin handle the care! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Now you know what kind of advice you can get on the internet. Idiotic advice from someone who doesn't have a clue what they're saying, barely has more jumps than you, jumps a nonzp canopy designed in the 80's and is trying to get you broken..... or some good advice that you did just fine.

I would have recommended buying used gear so that in 200-300 jumps when you MIGHT want to downsize you didn't have such a big investment in this one. But go have fun learning how to fly, both your body and your canopy.

Advice on the internet is like used chewing gum on the street... you don't know where its been, it not much good, and it could kill you. (okay, that was 10 years ago. That advice is still here along with some good advice. But you have to be able to tell the difference and that takes awhile.)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I just want to say a few things. #1 due to the overwhelming opinions (and facts) that I received (and looked up via incident reports) I have emailed my dealer and they were able to give me a cypres 2 instead of the Vigil 2 for 100 dollars more. I hope I am happier with this choice, I definitely feel more at ease (after reading some of those incident reports)

I've decided to keep my second point to myself.

I thank you for all your responses.
-Eddie B (feel free to message)
www.facebook.com/eddie.d.bryant

Your an fucking idiot sangi, I tell u the definition of boring. A 200 pound newbie jumping a 170 and making a low turn and breaking himself and spending 3 months in a hospital bed staring at the ceiling.
We should be encouraging newbies to jump big slow canopies for their first 200 jumps at least. I jumped a 215 until i had 185 jumps and i regret nothing, my ankles and legs are still pointing in the same direction when i took up skydiving.

Another novice opinion here. I think you made a great choice. I did the same as you ...bought new off of student status. Several good reasons to buy new and big canopy.
1. Made for your body;
2. helps learn consistant skills instead of renting gear and having canopy characteristic variables, so you can concentrate on how certain inputs perform different maneuvers.
3. If you leave the sport for awhile, if you get injured, or gain weight you can always come back to jump your larger more forgiving canopy until you get back to your comfort level if you dont sell it. When and if I downsize I plan on keeping my first big main for this specific potential purpose.

I have 40 jumps on my new (.97 WL) canopy and love it. I just took a canopy course with it and yes front risers are tough, but at least I am learning the techniques.

Good luck and have fun!!
THRIVING IN MY DASH!!