kelel01

Anybody afraid of flying?

Ok, so this past weekend we were kind of talking about this topic, and I brought up that my least favorite part of the skydiving process is the ride to altitude. I really freak out when the plane hits turbulence, etc. And it only gets worse the longer I'm on the plane . . . hence my reason for LOVING jumping a Super King Air or doing hop-n-pops. (Can't launch a 4-way?! Who cares?! Get me the hell out of this plane! :D) I even hate commercial flights . . . I spend most of the time acting like I'm calm, whilst gripping the crap out of the arm rest (ESPECIALLY on take-off and landing).

Other than Xanex :D, anybody have any tips to help me calm down? Or can anyone just relate? You know, misery loves company . . . ;):D

Kelly

My only suggestion would be to jump more. I used to be like that myself, but the more that I jumped the more that went away. You'll get used to it, I promise!!! (****I'm still uneasy on takeoff, and I have over 1400 jumps)
Unknowing attempting to take out all 4 wheeled vehicles remotely close to the landing area!

I'll agree on the turbulance issue!

I was on a flight from Seattle to Minneapolis 2 weeks ago. We got detoured to Fargo, ND because of a tornado in Minneapolis. We stayed in Fargo to 2 hours and then completed our flight to Minneapolis. They might has well stuck the plane in a snow globe and shook it up - that was what the plane ride was like.

When we finally landed the entire plane errupted into applause - the pilot did a good job of communicating to us and getting the plane down. kudos to him and the rest of the Northwest staff that day. We got stuck in Minneapolis for a day and a half - and had to pay for our hotel - but we were safe, a much better option!

Jen
Arianna Frances

took me 20+ jumps to get to a point I wasn't ready to rip the door off at 1000 feet and jump the F#$K out.. Breathe deep go over your jump talk to people on the plane do anything to keep your mind from thinking stupid shit talk to other jumpers who have tons of jumps and when they tell you they have the same thoughts it will help. I know it helped me to have people weith 1000's of jumps tell me they felt and thought the same way as i did..

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

...I really freak out when the plane hits turbulence, etc. And it only gets worse the longer I'm on the plane . . .

I'm personally only nervous until about 1,200 AGL. After that I know I can bail out on my reserve...

I even hate commercial flights

I enjoy looking out the windows and choosing the best "spot." My idea is to ask the stewardess to tell the pilot "5 left and Cut!" :ph34r:

Other than Xanex :D, anybody have any tips to help me calm down?

Copious amounts of Alcohol. Or two benadryl about 1 hr before the flight. But not both...unless you're adventurous...B|

Fuck it. Don't let it bother you, if you're going to crash, you'll crash, you being worried about it won't change a damn thing eitherway.

So relax and enjoy yourself.

(this advice is from someone that was in a jumpplane crash a while back...me).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I know I am not going to be much help here because I grew up in small aircraft. My first memory of a plane was a PT-22 (low wing open cockpit Ryan). I was about 4 years old the first time I rode in one of those. So the turbulence in the plane really doesn't get to me. But I can recall recently being next to the door on the otter with a friend from Australia. It was hot so we opened the door when we got to 1,000 ft. The guy has a D license and lots of jumps and he turned pale white. . .it was absolutely freaking hilarious. . .I had never seen that before. He also would not look at the open door at all. . .

Anyway, what I do when in the plane is take a quick glance at my alti when the pilot hits some turbulence and make a note of when I might expect to feel that under canopy. It kinda takes your mind off the flight and puts you in skydiver mode. . .above my pull altitude, I just relax and enjoy the roller coaster ride. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

HELL.....YEAH!!!!!
Im terrified of heights and hate to fly!!!! Believe it or not, I got into this sport to learn to control my fear of heights. I dont have it so bad now simply because when Im in the aircraft my students are my priority, and my fear takes the back seat.

I concentrate on their saftey and focus on keeping them focus on the task at hand and to have fun. I pay no attention to the "Jedi mind fuck" that goes on in my head because again its my students that I focus on.

I remember years ago my fear of heights and flying almost ended my career. And thats when I remembered my old man saying you have to confront your fears head on. So I took up skydiving.
Susie Hanks, and Jose Malave can attest to this. They remember me very well. Fear is normal without it we loose the sense of caution. So you see its perfectly normal, control your fears, and never let it control you.
zulu

One thing I try to do (at the urging of numerous threads on here) is look around at everyone's chest straps and handles. But that only kills (bad choice of words, maybe) 30 seconds to a minute.

Just don't make me sit on the floor in the back . . . ask Tami Carbone. I started FREAKING OUT! "What was that?!" "Does it always feel like this?!" I'm sure I'm such a comfort to the tandems. LMAO. It was actually hysterical! :D:D:D

Kelly

You might try talking to one of your pilots and have him take you on a good tour of the plane and its equipment. Of course, some planes might take longer than others to look at...
Do an observer ride in the right seat and handle the controls a bit. I found that that helped some apprehensive skydivers. Or go out to a local airport and rent a plane and an instructor for an hour.
In my pre-jump flying days, when I was flying a businessman and his staff around in rented singles, he had a secretary who was terrified of flying in single engine planes. One time I sat her up front, and as the boss conferenced in the back on the way to a meeting, I explained about all the dials and gages and radios on the panel. It was about an hour and a half flight. Later the boss said that she was much more comfortable about flying after all those complicated things on the panel had been explained to her.
We all fear what we don't undersatnd. It took me till my fourth static line to realize that I would not be blown off the step by the wind. Stepping out that door the first time (in a 182) after thousands of hours of flying was one of the scariest things I have ever done. Now I understand it more, and will be far less apprehensive if I decide to take up skydiving (as opposed to sky dRiving) again.
Blue Skies! Hope you get to feel more comfortable!

"I may just be an elevator operator, but without me all you people are BASE jumpers!"
Hartwood Paracenter - The closest DZ to DC!

I've been thinking of a safer way to the sky for years.Conclusion : planes rule.
Yes landing in any plane freaks my shit. And take offs are not that pleasant, but there's no need to worry. Like Dave said, not much you can do. Close your eyes or looky out da window. Just another form of flight for your $20.
Looking for traffic might take your mind off the flight. Am i scaring you yet ?