cocheese

Tinted light covers. Why ?

99% of the time it's because they think they look cool and actaully look like knobs.

In one or two cases there may be a genuine need. Night blindness can be helped by illuminating things with coloured light (usually yellow).

We have two types of cell in our eye - rods and cones. Rods see in black and white and are more sensitive in low level light, thus we use these at night. People with night blindness have a problem with these cells -either being bust in some way or being too few.

Cones see coloured light but are less sensitive in low level light conditions. People with night blindness can make use of the cone cells in their eyes to see at night if they use coloured lights or tinted glasses. It's not as good as normal vision but is better than their un-aided sight.

Most guys do it because they think girls are gonna be thining "Hey he has tinted headlights.....I think I'll screw him". :D:D:D

It might have worked in high school, but this is the real world, now they have to make their entire car eye catching. :D:D:D

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

The problems with night vision aren't from the person's own headlights, but the headlights coming toward them. Tinting their own lights aren't going to do a bit of good. Using yellow tints can decrease night vision in those that are night blind because it cuts out blue wavelengths which the rods are most sensitive to and the cone system isn't working all that well at night.

Yellow tints DO help with glare control. Blue wavelengths scatter the most inside the eye, yellow cuts out blue wavelengths, so less scatter, so better contrast sensitivity. This isn't the same as 'night blindness.'

True night blindness is actually pretty rare, a lot of people call things night blindness that really isn't, most of these are fixable (new glasses, cataract removal, etc.). A deficiency in rods does cause night vision problems, things like retinitis pigmentosa, rod dystrophy, etc. These folks often have associated visual field loss and visual acuity loss so shouldn't be driving at night anyway.

How's that for more info than you really needed to know :-) If this is on Jeopardy and you win, I get 10%

Jen (Mrs. skydivingchad) OD, MS
Low vision rehab optometrist

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I'll admit I actually had those on my car years ago when I was a senior. I was working on my car and doing some detail and thought it looked "cool" I quickly noticed that at night, even with my brights on, I couldn't see shit. They're sitting in my basement now
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

I would hope women or girls aren't attracted to guys because of good looking cars, and if i had a daughter i would say stay away from those tinted light cover guys.

Some are. I remember a secretary (remember those?) in my group commenting that she was "dating a Porsche." She had some pretty nice headlights herself.

>In one or two cases there may be a genuine need. Night blindness
> can be helped by illuminating things with coloured light (usually
> yellow).

Why not just put vertical polarizers on car headlights? Then people with night-blindness problems can wear clear glasses with horizontal polarizers. They will see normal (reflected) illumination but will see the headlights themselves only dimly.

Sadly it's from the same group that puts those "reindeer racks" (spoilers) on their trunks. I swore I saw a 6 pointer yesterday. But you know, those light covers and spoilers and gaudy paint jobs make those cars go faster.:S I think Ill put on some of those kazoo mufflers so i can put on 5 whole hp somewhere on a uselesss part of the powerband.>:(

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I would hope women or girls aren't attracted to guys because of good looking cars, and if i had a daughter i would say stay away from those tinted light cover guys. They aren't too bright.

HAHAHAHAHA

Was that on purpose?

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham