egloskerry

When do most people buy their rig?

I am still new so am not planning on it right now, but I want to get an idea about the road ahead. Right now I get free gear rental since my home DZ partners with my university, but I would like to buy things like a full helmet and altimeter, preferably an audible one.

However, for the big purchase (the rig), when is that normally purchased?

I would say that most people that finish their aff see how much it costs to hire gear at their dz (rip off) and realise that they are better off looking for their first rig to purchase. Even if its only a basic rig, at least it gets them in the air. Seeing that u get free gear rental then u are in a very different boat. From your point of view right now i cant really see any advantage of purchasing your own rig. There are some minor costs associated with your own rig which right now u dont have to worry about. I say spend your cash on jumping your ass off and enjoy no rig rental costs. By the way u suck... hehe

You're going to get a million different answers from a million different people.

Myself, I bought my rig before graduating AFF. Why? Because I got a good deal. Otherwise, I would have waited.

In any case, realize that you may downsize after AFF. I would suggest looking for used gear and forego buying anything new unless you get a good deal.
"Fail, fail again. Fail better."
-Samuel Beckett

Yeah I looked at the price for new rigs, not going there. I figured I'd get experienced enough to jump something smaller, then buy it. Right now I am jumping a Triathlon 190. Of course it's a student rig so it's very slow, which is what I need right now.

The reason I get free gear rental is because the university bought the gear. I guess it's a pretty sweet deal.

I am still new so am not planning on it right now, but I want to get an idea about the road ahead. Right now I get free gear rental since my home DZ partners with my university, but I would like to buy things like a full helmet and altimeter, preferably an audible one.

However, for the big purchase (the rig), when is that normally purchased?

Got my first used rig at around 29 jumps after I got my A
__

My mighty steed

It seems to depend a lot on what you have available to you: if you just have Mantas but are capable of and allowed to jump a 190/170, buying a rig may be a smart idea. If you have a nice skydiving shop with rental gear near you or have nice friends so you can try all kinds of different rigs and mains, wait a while and demo/rent all you can before buying, you'll make a better choice one that suits you and will keep you happy longer. If you have a lot of canopy rules like here, people often wait until 100 jumps to buy because then they can buy something they'll stick with for a long time. If you're a featherweight with not much option to demo/rent/borrow, you might buy sooner. For heavyweights a 190 may be a very good canopy to stick to for a couple hundred jumps so I'd take full advantage of that free rental gear. If money is tight, same.

A 190 isn'ta bad canopy for a newbie and may be a very good choice. A FREE 190 is never a bad choice :P

ciel bleu,
Saskia

You're going to get a million different answers from a million different people.

Myself, I bought my rig before graduating AFF. Why? Because I got a good deal. Otherwise, I would have waited.

In any case, realize that you may downsize after AFF. I would suggest looking for used gear and forego buying anything new unless you get a good deal.

:D:D:D Yup...I bought mine after my 2nd jump, which was 1/3 of the way through a static-line progression.

It's a Papillon and after almost 35 years I still have it! B|

Didn't get to jump it until my 10th jump, but I knew I was in it for the long haul and couldn't pass up the deal I got!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

It's still free until you find the perfect rig. When I got back into jumping, I jumped my old gear (with a 220) until I found a really great deal -- it gave me the freedom to pick and choose, and save my money. A 190 is by no means unsafe for you. It means a little more care spotting and with winds -- neither of those is bad.

So start saving, and start looking. At your weight, you'll probably end up somewhere in the 150 range. 135 is small unless you wait quite awhile (remember to add the weight of the rig and possible weights to your weight when calculating wing loading). And a 135 will fly noticeably more radically -- it's a pretty noticeable jump from a 150.

You can see about buying a smaller main to help you get to your target canopy size -- you could probably find something like a PD 170 for a fairly small price, and it'd be the next step down to a 150 already.

Good luck -- you're in a fairly enviable position. I had about 70 jumps before I bought gear; a combination of no money and easy access to uncomfortable free gear. But I jumped my first owned rig for about 300 jumps (that was a long time in those days of rapidly-changing gear technology), and the main for another 200 after that.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Most people buy their own rig when the stuff available to them doesn't meet their need (or wants) anymore.

If you have adequate gear available for free, there's no need. As you progress, you may want to get gear that is more advanced than available to you now.

For me, at a DZ where the only student gear was 288 Mantas, it was shortly before getting my A.

Check with your instructors about the use of full face helmets and audibles by students.
Some places want students in open face helmets for communication purposes, or field of view issues.
Some places don't allow students to use audibles because they want them to develop good altitude awareness without one.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I start AFF this weekend and ended up buying a set of gear already even though I can't use it at the recommendation of one of my friends who's an instructor. I wasn't looking to buy so soon, but know I'm commited to this and couldn't pass up a good deal. Even the rigger said I got a good deal on my gear. So I guess the time is different for everyone. I bought when I found the right deal...or what felt like the right deal to me. I listened to those that know me and know the sport. And the DZ I'll be using will have no problem with me using my rig once I'm off student status...which will hopefully be soon since I paid for all the jumps up front. Just have to have my schedule and the weather cooperate.

Shane

its brother is going up for sale soon!

I got mine after I finished my A license and half way thru my deployment...
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I got mine around 50 jumps but my first jump on it was jump 78. But a guy on my 4 way team rented at the dz 3-6 days each month for about 2 years. We did the math, he spent over $6K on rentals. He racked up around 450 jumps then bought a rig off of Jay Stokes....go figure :S

"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

Yeah I can't wear a full face until I'm off student. I don't plan on getting anything until I get off A anyways.

You can jump it when you get your A license, dont gotta wait for the B!

:D:D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

I got mine after I finished my A license and half way thru my deployment...

What, did you throw your pilot chute and then start writing a check? ;)

Nah, these deployments take FOREVER and are not nearly as much fun.