Scooter1812

Crossfire 2 Hard openings

Hey guys any advice on how to make my new Crossfire 2 - 139 open better? It seems to be hit and miss on the openings. I'm pro packing it the same way I did my Katana. I do nothing to the nose but I wrap the tail 2-3 times, as well as plus the slider. Any suggestions? I bought this thing to do camera but it really wacked me a few times.

Hey guys any advice on how to make my new Crossfire 2 - 139 open better? It seems to be hit and miss on the openings. I'm pro packing it the same way I did my Katana. I do nothing to the nose but I wrap the tail 2-3 times, as well as plus the slider. Any suggestions? I bought this thing to do camera but it really wacked me a few times.

If you have a Crossfire II and it is "whacking" you, you need to send it back to the factory.

I have only had 1-2 Crossfires come through the shop that were hard openers. And that is in an 11-12 year time frame.

You should be able to pack that canopy just about anyway and get good openings.

Two questions though;
What is the size and condition of your pilot chute?

Are you using a standard main D-bag?

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

I'm using a zero P 27" pilot chute, the same one I was using with my Katana. The d bag question is a good one that I didn't think of. My d-bag is for a 170 canopy and my Crossfire 2 is a 139. It does fit snugly into the bad though. I think the pack volume isn't that different. Like I said before it's not a hard opening on every jump. In fact the first 10 were excellent. It just seems to be getting more frequent snappy openings. One made my spine tingle.

I'm using a zero P 27" pilot chute, the same one I was using with my Katana. The d bag question is a good one that I didn't think of. My d-bag is for a 170 canopy and my Crossfire 2 is a 139. It does fit snugly into the bad though. I think the pack volume isn't that different. Like I said before it's not a hard opening on every jump. In fact the first 10 were excellent. It just seems to be getting more frequent snappy openings. One made my spine tingle.

Is this a brand new, recently manufactured canopy?

MEL

Push the nose in, pull the slider over the nose. Make sure that you slider is on the stops before you close the d-bag.B|

What he said plus I noticed when I roll the tail from the slider all the way down the trailing edge, 3-4 rolls. My openings are generally pretty sweet!

My d-bag is for a 170 canopy and my Crossfire 2 is a 139.

I have a little smaller main (129), but my container is for 170 too. I had almost exact problem as you. Solved it by stuffing the whole nose of the canopy deep in the packjob. I figured out that before, I was pushing in just upper part of the nose in the packjob (air intakes). Now I have no problems. I use double stows on large rubber bands. 1 foot of slack lines in the container. Slider in front of the nose.
dudeist skydiver #42

I really just clicked on this thread to see if you had written in the wrong canopy name. Yeah, send that one back and save yourself all the packing voodoo. Those things should open like melted butter.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

......and I use mini tube stows.

Now there is part, if not all of the problem. Tube stows!

Use the small rubber bands and the issue should go away.

MEL

Mel, sorry, but that's total nonsense.

I'm not a tubestow fan, but to outright claim they're the cause of hard openings is absurd.

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Mel, sorry, but that's total nonsense.

I'm not a tubestow fan, but to outright claim they're the cause of hard openings is absurd.

Ian

Ian,

Sorry that you feel that way.

But the matter of fact is :
1. He has a bag that is too big which adds to the sum of it all.

2. He is using tube stows.

3. The tube stows are probably stretched to begin with.

4. Round tube stows WILL NOT grip the lines as well as a flat rubber band. We all know this as fact.

5. I have "fixed" alot of peoples hard openings by simply pointing them to rubber bands.

6. John Leblanc has a spill about this also somewhere on the PD's website. This is something we both agree on!

7. Let the guy try the rubber bands and come back here with a report before you make any conclusions yourself.

Cheers,
MEL

Mel,

Poorly maintained rubber bands, or tube stows will cause the same issue if present on the locking stow.

All that matters is that the locking stow is secure, tight, and that the lines reach full stretch before coming out of the band.

Your blanket statement is still absurd, no matter how you cut it.

Ian

Ian,
Poorly maintained rubber Bands will not last as long as poorly maintained Tube Stows.
In other words they tend to grow more since they usually stay on the bag longer, i.e. m ore time in service.

Your blanket statement is still absurd, no matter how you cut it.

The statement is based on kernel knowlege and the use of a fish scale along with the old tube stows in use or question. It really is that simple!

MEL

Very odd indeed. That's a pretty high 'whacker' ratio :)
I'd suggest making sure that the canopy is staying in the bag all the way through line stretch so make sure the locking stow is secure.

Other than that, I have no idea why it would suddenly start opening hard.

Ian

Very odd indeed. That's a pretty high 'whacker' ratio

absolutely!
What's confusing it the part about the silky smooth ones and then the teeth rattlers.

I'd suggest making sure that the canopy is staying in the bag all the way through line stretch so make sure the locking stow is secure.

My thoughts exactly!

It has to be that the stows are coming loose to allow the lines to play out, but probably out of sequence.

MEL

I agree with Ian
I use tube stow on cobalt 95,xoas 21 88, with voodoo v0. never had hard opening. I roll the tail 5 to 8 turn on all my canopy nice opening
"A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body; jealousy is like cancer in the bones ..."