lolliUK

skydiving and non skydiving girl/boyfriends

Dude, I totally hear you.

The point I was trying to make though is that if you write songs/lyrics and play your heart out, for the right reasons you do get that inner peace/calm- and a damn huge buzz as well. Playing in front of two thousand people is something that will be with me forever. The freedom of expression and the buzz are two things linking the ways of life.
BUT, also you have the whole 'cool' brigade and people who do it for the 'scene', if you know what I mean? Perhaps I'm wrong but it was what I thought I saw when visiting a couple of DZs. Whilst snowboarding in Chamony it seemed to be like it as well. You do it for you, not for the people who are impressed by you doing it.
She did say once that she'd pay for a tandem as a birthday present, so she was trying to get me involved at one point. We could have made it. Before the vultures moved in, I think, hehe.:D You have to laugh dont you?![:/]. It all got very messy, truth be told. I'll move on but will always love her.

Anyway guys thanks for the feedback. Its much appreciated. Nice to know people want to comment in a constructive way. xxx

Life moves pretty fast. If you dont stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
Courtesy of one F.Bueller.

To me, it's more of a life style than a hobby, and I cannot for the world understand how I got by without it before - or what I was thinking for that matter.

I usually get offended if some whuffo says "Well that's a cool hobby you have.". >:( I think things like "You $%&* whuffo, it's not a hobby! It's what I am and do!"
No offense to the whuffo... those poor souls just don't know better (yet).

The skydiver will feel disconnected from the whuffo, since she/he cannot grasp and relate to the experience described.

And vice versa. I often try to reverse that development, but that seems to be impossible. It's more like the "natural consequence" of skydiving.

So, if you plan on taking up skydiving, and plan to be serious about it: prepare to have your socks knocked off, and say farewell to your active social life in its current form.

That's 100% true!

It'll be replaced by a better, improved one.

I wouldn't necessarily call it "better"... just "totally different".

Ich betrachte die Religion als Krankheit, als Quelle unnennbaren Elends für die menschliche Rasse.
(Bertrand Russell, engl. Philosoph, 1872-1970)

Firstly I'm sorry it didn't work out for you mate. Go get yer own back with some groupies ;)

I do agree with what a few people said, if you were perfect together skydiving wouldnt have been a problem - if it hadn't got in the way something else might have eventually.

I had a boyf for about 1 1/2 yrs who had no interest in skydiving. It sucked only having 2 whole free days a week to choose between him, other friends, skydiving, and anything else.. take into account that HE might actually have plans too and that leaves very few weekends together. [:/]

Dr. Kat sees the problem here: it isn't skydiving or not, it's having a job!!

shares a lot of similarities with the whole rock n roll lifestyle

Yeah I can see similarities;
like doing something you love that gives you a buzz, makes you feel high & free;
being surrounded by people who are there to share that passion,
the glow when something challenging goes right,
And practically, travelling around seeing familiar faces from your scene.. finding few weekends left for anything else.. and just a tiny bit of partying too..

BUT, also you have the whole 'cool' brigade and people who do it for the 'scene'

I have to say I've never really noticed that. It's not exactly a spectator sport :P Men in neon lycra don't look good on the ground hehe, :ph34r: and a soggy field out in the back lanes of Little-Localville-Upon-Sheep ain't the coolest place to spend Saturday night.. :S

Maybe your ex found, hope you take it up & do too, that many skydivers seem to be friendly, lively & ridiculously cheerful nuts who share your addiction. You spend weekends in a small happy little world with them and they grow on you like a dirty fungus :)
So maybe they are just 'weekend friends' who I only see at their best. But once in a while something very fuckin shit happens. Luckily I still found then that even though I barely knew them, the same people were understanding & positive when I really needed it.

Everything tells you it's wrong to throw £££shitloads at an activity measured in seconds, and odd to find yourself huddled in a cold tent with cheap cider by night when you're normal friends are glamming it up in the city. Yet somehow we just keep coming back! :S