lolliUK

skydiving and non skydiving girl/boyfriends

"what happens if she meets some hunky guy that she has this amazing thing in common with, they'll start talking about the size of their canopies

The only time we might impress her by being smaller than the next guy....

Never go to a DZ strip show.

I was with a Whuffo for ten years and married for three , and right from the word go I told her that she would not be stopping me jumping or placing restrictions on it as it was my release after a crappy week of "normal" work to get out to the country-ish DZ we went to and jump my ass off. Most of the time she went with me and we went out to the local restaurants after the days jumping and she was never left out of anything much. Then I started to make some good money of a weekend and eventually she was more and more smothering with wanting almost every second together. She eventually gave me an ultimatum , either her or the jumping. Jeez I will miss her!! :ph34r:
But seriously there were a lot of other factors as well like in the ten years we had changed and had less in common than we did when we first met. I was more of a free spirit not wanting to be tied down and she wanted the house with the kids and everything else that goes with it. Oh , and of course the mother in law who decided to move from interstate to live with us for a "short time" only to still be there 18 MONTHS LATER!!! Only so much a person can take! She has since settled down with someone else and the mother still lives under the same roof. I am happy for her but much happier not being tied to all of that now I can step back and take an unbiased look at the whole situation! BSBD! -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

Take my word for it dude - Consider yourself lucky to be with a nonjumper. Really, here is my .02....

For myself, Skydiving is what I do for me and myself. When I go to the DZ, I don't want to screw around, I want to jump. Sometimes, Especially with a serious committed relationship, It's nice to have some time to yourself, to refocus and compose yourself. Jumping Means something to me, and no matter what happens in our relationship, I still want to be able to show up at the DZ and jump. This is kinda hard to explain, I think.....
=========Shaun ==========

I skydive, my wife has no interest. I can get her to go to the DZ sometimes but most of the time she just does not want to. I bought her some nice camera equipment for Christmas and now she think she will go and take pictures of the swoopers.

Either way, I go to the DZ and she understands that it is a deep seeded need within my soul so she gives me no hard times about it.

A jumper/whuffo relationship can work but you both have to respect each others position.

Got to agree. I was really glad when my wife said she didn't get any thrill from the tandem jump. Finances only let me jump once a month as it is. If both of us jumped it would be even less frequent.

Once a month a get a day for myself - keeps me sane.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

You know I kinda missed that post and I agree too. It is nice sometimes to get away when none of my family wants to go with me.

Truth be told most of the time they do not want to go but if I really want them there they go gladly and cheer me on all day. Either way I have a great time.

And it would kinda suck if I was having to come up with the money for two people to jump right now.;)

yes, some v scary things being said, but ulitmately i think that if there is some acceptance and compromise on both sides this gives way to understanding.

i hope!!!
not sure if the boyf will get more enthusiastic when im jumping more often, hopefully i'll see if i can get him to do a tandem and hang around at the DZ while i jump. hes v arty too so im sure he could take pictures/ do sketches and the such.

what annoys me though for non jumpers is the whole thing that loads of people have been saying to me when i tell them,
"oh, is there something LACKING in your life that you feel you have to do this?"

IT REALLYS ANNOYS ME!!!!
just want to give them a big slap round the face. maybe they're just scared cos its something they'd never b able to do. i dont know

i think it is the whole beer, jumps good time that hes worried about

=====================================
If thats the case .... sorry but something is wrong.
What should my gf say when I leave for 2-3 weeks to US (I live in Greece) ? Different time zone and pretty far from home.
Apart of that I pushed her and she made 3 tandems to get a taste of what I am doing. Finally she didnt like it but she knows what make me kick.
I believe that you should discuss it with him and balance things. Do your hobby/sport but give him also some time to spend together.

Blue ones,
Kyros

I really hate to rain more cold water on your parade but Skydiving must have the biggest and fastest dropout rate of any sport I've been involved in (including martial arts). You may withdraw from the sport way before this even becomes an issue. From my original AFF class half stopped at just 1 jump. Then by stage 5 there was only 5 of us out of the original 14 left. Until you get though to you consul jumps the instructors are expecting you drop out at any time (for a number of reasons - frustration being biggest one).

Just take it one jump at a time and see how you go.

Good luck and enjoy.

I have posted this before. I quit jumping back in '73 when I got married the first time with 68 jumps that I made before meeting my wife. She decided that we needed insurance more than I needed to skydive. So to save the marrage I quit. We divirced in '97 after 23 yrs. and the first thing I did after that was start jumping again. Then I met my present wife (who is the MOST understanding woman I have met) that met me at the DZ, which was half way between where we lived, for the first time. I told her then I would not quit jumping again. Meaning we would have to find a way to work it into our relationship. She felt she could live with me jumping. Now this part won't happen with every relationship. She doesn't jump to this day but likes to be at the DZ as much as I do. She has run manifest at two different DZs. She loves being around the sport. I think it's mostly because the skydivers she has met have made her feel like one of them. She goes to the DZ even on days i'm sick and can't jump because she feels she is needed there to help run things. She doesn't get paid to run manifest she just likes being a part of the DZ. May be if you can get your SO involved in some way her would help your relationship.

Well, hi everyone.

Sorry to revive this dead thread, But I'm LolliUK's [now] ex boyfriend! She went away to learn and started fooling around almost immediately. A pretty young thing on her own drew a lot of attention. The whole 'cool' side of it affected her a bit too much I think. Seems we werent as secure as she and I hoped. The relationship was so tight before, but perhaps too tight. I did get pretty damn annoyed at the whole predictability of the situation, but really, I never once doubted her in four years together. She never really had problems with me having a few girls as mates either. Not that she told me , anyway!
I am gutted, because we were so happy and at ease with each other. It was definately one of those 'once in a lifetime' kind of loves. Soppy tw*t!. I just wish she didnt have to give in to the bullshit side of it. But I want her to be happy and if she so chooses, free. Skydiving is something I have wanted to do for a long time, and will do in a few months in NZ but I would never really feel the need to do the whole 'dropzone scene' thing as I have a totally busy social life that I love. Yeah, you make friends obviously but for the right reasons.
I have been in and out of rock bands for the best part of 9 years and I think Skydiving (and other extreme type stuff) shares a lot of similarities with the whole rock n roll lifestyle thing. Anyone agree? I would have her back tomorrow if she came to think that skydiving and loving someone who isnt as into it can co-exsist. But, er, maybe I was a tad too angry. Yes, I love her that much. DOH!

Anyones thoughts (however bad)on this would be cool.

Sorry to say but if she started fooling around almost immediately, then the relationship was on the brink to begin with. Since returning to skydiving about 31/2 years ago, I never dated until my current s/o who's been jumping for almost 30 yrs off and on and has about 700 more jumps than myself! People that have never experienced it usually just don't get it and that is one of the reasons we bond together. When I played golf before I would have girlfriends but if they didn't appreciate golf it wouldn't last because I would be at the country club all weekend. Back then golf was my passion now it's skydiving. You may understand better after you start jumping. Sorry.[:/]

Skydiving saved me from my relationship. It was going no where pretty fast after a year and a half. When he got mad that I was spending too much time at the DZ and was not making him my priority, I had to look back and ask myself why that was. I realized that I had found true happiness and it wasn't with him. The relationships that I have found out at the DZ have far outweighed the failing relationship at home. The breakup is done and I am moving on. What Bliss!!!;)
Blue Skies!!!
Kimmy

I think Skydiving (and other extreme type stuff) shares a lot of similarities with the whole rock n roll lifestyle thing. Anyone agree?

Completely disagree. Rock'n'roll tyle life is all about
so called freedom and lots of staff that affects (read f**cks up) both your mind and body. Life style far from harmony. Skydiving is about being calm, exploring your true personality and working hard on skills. Some skydivers will probably argue but this is the way I personally take skydiving.

I think Skydiving (and other extreme type stuff) shares a lot of similarities with the whole rock n roll lifestyle thing. Anyone agree?

Completely disagree.

I think he might have been talking about the basics of it. Obviously the lifestyles are a little different, but I was involved in the punk scene for a few years, and it is similar in that it becomes your life. You spend your weekends (and many weeknights) surrounded by these people, your friends, and you miss a lot of other stuff outside of that scene because you are always doing this one thing (be it going to punk shows or skydiving). I do see the similarities there.

On the whole relationships things - I only started skydiving a month ago, I'm single, I want to be single, I just want to skydive. I think a lot of guys at the dz need to realise a single girl doesnt necessarily mean she is available and willing!

To the guy who brought this thread up again - let it (your relationship) go. Also, if you want to start skydiving, do it for you, dont do it to try to revive something that seemingly has already gone. It takes too much of your money to be doing it just for someone else. If you are doing it for you - then good luck, you'll love it!
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

hey i used to be like this with my lad and the reason i think that i was like this was cos he was doing some thing i thought i couldn't some thing special that would take time away from our special time as we had little time togther as it was with wrk and that.

But he bought me my 1st 3 static line jumps and i loved them after that i had no problem with him jumping the only thing i asked is that i could be involved in his skydive life style by being involved at the DZ taking pic', jumping on a quad bike and getting ride of sheep so the plain could take off etc and socializing.

NOw we do every thing like that together the only thing we dont do at the DZ is go to there parties cos there a bit to full of students and very uncontrolably drunk ppl.

what im tryng to say is ask her if she is interested in getting involved in the DZ and watching you then if she says no tell her that its something you really want to do and thats it it's your life.

We sat and talked about it for ages to sort it out and he still spends more time down there than with me :)
but it's some thing ive grown to live with and going to have to cos he isnt going to give it up even for me.

good luck dude

(if she loves you she'll undersatnd)

Well, hi everyone.

Skydiving is something I have wanted to do for a long time, and will do in a few months in NZ but I would never really feel the need to do the whole 'dropzone scene' thing as I have a totally busy social life that I love. Yeah, you make friends obviously but for the right reasons.

I would have her back tomorrow if she came to think that skydiving and loving someone who isnt as into it can co-exsist. But, er, maybe I was a tad too angry. Yes, I love her that much. DOH!

Anyones thoughts (however bad)on this would be cool.

I'll tell ya this: skydiving has a tendency not only to add value to your life, but also to change it. It'll affect the way you think and prioritize. To me, it's more of a life style than a hobby, and I cannot for the world understand how I got by without it before - or what I was thinking for that matter.

This of course has an effect on your personal life. Non skydivers don't understand the apparent obsession or just how strong the passion for skydiving is. Whuffos will just get annoyed with the constant talk about how cool taking that grip in a sit was. The skydiver will feel disconnected from the whuffo, since she/he cannot grasp and relate to the experience described. I know; I got annoyed with my sis and her talk of skydiving all the time when I was a whuffo. No more, but I can (vaguely :P) remember the whuffo perspective.

So, if you plan on taking up skydiving, and plan to be serious about it: prepare to have your socks knocked off, and say farewell to your active social life in its current form. It'll be replaced by a better, improved one.

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

FWIW; my wife has no interest in skydiving, and she is "a little apprehensive" about my interest. However, she sat through my AFF Level I course and almost went tandem. I think she will probably try tandem eventually. We have a great relationship and we are very supportive of one another's interests. It all goes back to the foundation of the relationship.

B