Eagleeye

CYPRES 2 activation altitude sheet

I took the information from the Cypres site. I may be misinterpreting the info, so I thought the yellow area in the chart would cover that interpretation.

It activates the release unit when it detects a rate
of descent higher than 29 mph (13 meters per second).
The activation altitude is split. In the case
of rate of descent being approx. that of free fall,
the opening altitude is at approx. 750 feet (the
same as with Expert CYPRES). However, should
the rate of descent be lower than that of freefall
but still above the limit of 29 mph (e.g. with
partially opened canopy, or after a cutaway), then
Student CYPRES activates the release unit when
the altitude falls below approx. 1000 feet (approx.
300 meters) above ground level. The student will
then have more time to prepare for landing

I have read other posts regarding this information. I am not quite sure where the 65 mph is derived from?
Could you help me with that equation? I'm here to learn.
Thanks

I took the information from the Cypres site. I may be misinterpreting the info, so I thought the yellow area in the chart would cover that interpretation.

I guess I didn't make the intent of my statement clear.

I was not supporting nor was I contradicting any data regarding the cypres activation speeds.

At the time I posted, another person had posted a contradictory bit of information and since you had not yet responded to that I merely referred you to his post in case you had missed it.

It appears at this point that everyone is now in agreement with your chart.

I have read no documentation so I'm still not taking any position on the matter.
__

My mighty steed

This is a nice sheet! Another recent thread made it painfully clear there is some confusement out there concerning activation states of AADs.

I was thinking about doing something similar, but I couldn't think of a way to visualize, that with the student cypres, below 750 feet any speed above 13 m/s will trigger an activation. In your text in the sheet it is made clear, but the visual representation would be even nicer. Does anyone have an idea?

Also maybe supplement with other AADs? (although visualizing Argus Swoop mode is also a challenge)
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Isn't the activation altitude 1000 ft (but when on belly due to the back burble this 1000 ft roughly translate to 750 ft)?

Something like if you’re doing sit or head down or you’ve just been stood up by the snivel of the opening and still have vertical speed in the range of firing it will fire at 1000 ft and not 750 because the burble is no longer there. :P

Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

Still incorrect. Like stated earlier in another thread, this only occurs when you " trick" the cypres 1.

Cypres 1/2, Argus and Vigil I / II, don't have a linear decision three. They constantly correct measured air pressure, to "assume" a correct height. What Billvon stated is true, but only when you "trick" the AADs. If you have a continued stable back to earth position for most (entire?) time of the skydive, it will fire aprox. 300 feet higher, since it has no information that it isn't stable belly to earth. Therefore it assumes it is stable belly to earth and "add" 300 feet to the fire altitude.

There are other ways to trick them in this "mode", but it certainly isn't default behaviour. Most of the time the AAD will be constantly correcting it's parameters and use algorithms to correct the measured air pressure.

You can also read this in the Airtec statement which is mentioned in the thread which you link too. (http://cypres-usa.com/cyp13.htm)

This is mostly a "problem" of the first generation electronic AAD(s). All current AADs have far more computing power then the first generation and are therefore possible to use correct for these fluctuations way faster, therefore making an already unlikely scenario far more unlikely (but not impossible).
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

My original objective was to have a one page reference for remembering purposes. I guess that you really only need to remember the numbers for the particular model or device for which you are using. Anyway, I thought I'd throw it out there for someone who might find it useful.
I've attached a new one with a few changes.

Have fun out there!

THANKS. Nice Chart. :)
I too would like to see all AAD's, all variations, proportional arrows, etc... (you did know that by submitting something like this for peer review that you were volunteering to accept every editorial change and keep the chart up to date in perpetuity... ;) )

Meanwhile... THANKS!!

JW

PS - not sure I like the font you used... need to fix that ;);)

Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

So, semantics wise you'll probably win. It was a mistake from my side to tell that the decision altitude is 1000ft. I should have made reference to pressure instead.
However, I think that you agree with me when I say that if I've just been stood up by the main opening on 1000ft the cypress will fire no matter what is wrote in that pdf document and this is the real good lesson for everybody can take out of my affirmations.

All that been said, have a good one and take care!
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

Many dz have many AADs...

If you include Vigil and Argus the document would be complete

OK, how about this one? (attached)

p.s. I excluded the military version of the Argus, I don't have a clue as to how to illustrate all of the variables on that one!!!