ILikePizza

Tall guy (6'8'') needs advice

Close to getting my A, and I have started renting from a store that will let me build credit toward my purchased rig as I rent from them.

Situation: The guys at the store have suggested that I am almost certainly going to need to go custom on my container in order to find something comfortable enough, and which will allow me to downsize over the next couple seasons.

Questions:
1) Is the customization completely necessary? Will I be able to find a container w/o having to spend extra on customization?

2) Does anyone have any leads on some gear for freakishly tall dudes?

(I'm about 220lbs w/o gear if that means anything)
...And I'm not gonna not get Randy Jackson's autograph...
Did we just become best friends?

D.S. #1000000

Whether you really need custom gear depends in part on your body size. But the chances are good that the selection of gear that's appropriate for you will be very, very small. If you get a custom harness and container, you can still put used canopies into it.

But if you put the word out at DZs they might keep an eye out in their used gear shops. Or you could get something with appropriate sized container, and have the harness altered (it's a couple hundred dollars or more, depending on teh vendor).

And you could call the DZ at Byron (California) to see if they have any used gear; there is a very tall guy who jumps there.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Close to getting my A, and I have started renting from a store that will let me build credit toward my purchased rig as I rent from them.

Situation: The guys at the store have suggested that I am almost certainly going to need to go custom on my container in order to find something comfortable enough, and which will allow me to downsize over the next couple seasons.

Questions:
1) Is the customization completely necessary?

Probably (if you want to be comfortable), but it depends on how much of your height is in your torso and legs. You can approximate required main lift web length by taking your height in inches, subtracting your inseam measurement, and subtracting 20"

Will I be able to find a container w/o having to spend extra on customization?

You can also have a new harness put on by the manufacturer. This may or may not be less expensive than buying a new container.

This isn't necessarily deinitive, but: I'm two or three inches shorter than you, and in the time I've been jumping, there has been exactly one second-hand container available while I've been shopping that fit me well.

I missed it.

That said, new containers are less of a sticker-shock bling thing than new canopies IMO, especially if you're an unusual shape. Having one that fits you perfectly is a hell of a lot more useful than a brand-new canopy. At the very least, a stock rig with a custom harness can be put together by most manufacturers, which even though it's as expensive as an all-custom rig, at least means you don't have to wait too long.

I'm currently on my second container, with second-hand canopies in it. One upside of being a bit bigger than average is that the wing-loading chart skews your way around the third of fourth downsize... lighter people are still in their progression at around where you are buying long-term canopies, so you have an easier time finding what you want as they discard them on the way down.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Check with Bigun, he had some used gear for sale a while back...:)

You're taller than me and I can't ever find anything 'off the shelf' used, that's comfortable...buy a custom rig and wear it out! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

IS there any reason u cant buy a rig made for a tallish guy and get your local rigger to extend the leg straps to suit your height?

It's the main lift web that you would be more concerned about, depending on the rig that too can be rebuilt to suit a taller person but it's usually a bit pricey.

I'm a a little over 6'4" and have 'made do' with rigs designed for average height jumpers by having the legstraps out to near full extension, but they were never comfortable, instead of the leg-strap buckle at the hip it's under the ribs and that does effect your flying.

I tried a couple taller friends rigs on and that was it, had to have a custom made one...I even went to the factory in Fla. to get measured because the 1st one I bought still didn't fit as well as I thought it should.

It's worth the investment!

Don't confuse a custom harness with a custom harness/container. You can purchase a used harness/container and have the harness re-sized or replaced as needed. It would be possible to save between $500 and $1000 on the final price of a harness/container buying used and getting the harness adjusted for you. The fit of the final product would be the same as if you purchased an all new harness/container.

What you need to do is shop around for a used harness/container, and when you find one that fits the canopies you need, get the serial number. Contact the manufacturer with that number and your measurements to get an estimate for the costs of the harness work. The price can vary from $150 to $500 depending on the type of harness, and amount of adjustment needed.

Provided that the estimate combined with the cost of the used harness/container is reasonable, arrange to have a rigger inspect the harness/container before you purchase it. This will ensure that it airworthy, and you won't be 'surprised' with extra repair costs when you send it to the factory for the harness work.

The price can vary from $150 to $500 depending on the type of harness, and amount of adjustment needed.

And that's $$ above the 'fair market value' in most cases...so what you have is a used system that cost ya more than it's 'worth'...

That's not necessarily a bad thing, but is something to consider when deciding on benefits of a new H-C made to your personal likes and requirements.

And that's $$ above the 'fair market value' in most cases...so what you have is a used system that cost ya more than it's 'worth'...

That's not necessarily a bad thing, but is something to consider when deciding on benefits of a new H-C made to your personal likes and requirements.

Indeed. However, the OP is in an unusual circumstance, where his personal rig will be of no use to just about anyone else, which is another way of saying that his chances for a 'fair market' value resale are between slim and none. Let's say he does buy a new container, and for one reason or another needs to sell it. Of course we know the value will depreciate the minute he takes it out of the box, but having a harness built for a guy 6' 8" means that any prespective buyer will be looking at a harness resize to make it fit them. So the price of the rig would have to relfect 'fair market' value, minus the cost of the resize in order to make it appealing to any buyers.

If he buys used, and invests in a new harness, he will be adding value to the rig for his personal use, while maintaining a lower initial investment. He will still have to deal with the cost of a harness resize if he needs to sell it, but he won't have to add that loss to the loss from the depreciation of a brand new rig.

The fact is that his harness sizing requirements are going to cost him more than the average sized jumper when buying gear. It just seems to me that spending less up front, and losing less on the back end is a good choice for a new jumper who may, or may not, stay with the sport. If he does stay with the sport and eventually invest a brand new rig, the new harness on the old container will extend it's useful life, and make it a great back-up rig, as he'll never be able to borrow anything to make a back-to-back load.

The fact is that his harness sizing requirements are going to cost him more than the average sized jumper when buying gear. It just seems to me that spending less up front, and losing less on the back end is a good choice for a new jumper who may, or may not, stay with the sport. If he does stay with the sport and eventually invest a brand new rig, the new harness on the old container will extend it's useful life, and make it a great back-up rig, as he'll never be able to borrow anything to make a back-to-back load.

Good point....but where the heck were you when I was jumping all that midget gear years ago! :ph34r:;)

1) Is the customization completely necessary? Will I be able to find a container w/o having to spend extra on customization?

First, let's clarify this point. It's not customization other than it is the same process as any other skydiver buying a new Harness/Container. You pick your reserve first, then your main... when you have the information on those two items; you then choose a rig manufacturer and get 'measured" for your Harness. Part of this process in measuring is to ensure you get a proper fit on the laterals. They will need to know the reserve and main canopies and their date of manufacture to properly size the container.

Like Wendy's advice, your weight loading allows for you to have a considerable amount of choices in the used reserve & main arena. However, I'm fairly confident that "our" height will always lend us to having to buy a new H/C. In your case, my recommendation is a WingsExt. They are specifically designed for those taller and with longer torsos.

On a final note, the larger skydivers should maintain a 08:1 wing-loading ratio on the reserve (fully geared up) so as to minimize injuries even in the most perfect of circumstances. They are seven-cell F111's and have a different sink rate than a ZP main. As a result, your glide ratio is significantly reduced (more down) and with a single stage flare; and a little too late flare could result in sprains and broken ankles/legs. I and the other "old-timers" grew up on F111 so we know how to fly them. These days many folks learn how to fly them on their first reserve deployment.

Blues, Keith
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

[In your case, my recommendation is a WingsExt. They are specifically designed for those taller and with longer torsos.

That's a good point! Wings EXT do feel better, to me, just because of their stretched shape.

Some of the Vector container shapes (347, 348 come to mind but I'm sure there are bigger) are naturally long, too.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I'm in a similar boat. I'm 6'6" and having a tough time finding gear...but 6'8"....wow.

If you ever sell any of your gear, lemme know first :)
In the event that you do have to sell, I think you'll be able to sell it without too much issue. Finding something that fits the few tall people is like gold to us, so we snatch it up quick for a decent price.

The Wings EXT has been recommended to me as well, but it is not for mains > 150...) If I can't find anything affordable to re-harness, I'll order up something new this fall. Just gotta decide on reserve/main size...then get a nice fitting harness!