tunaplanet

Roy Jones Jr Loses

What a huge dissapointment that was. Who would have thought. Have to give props to Tarver. Hell of a fight.

This is basically the first fight Jones has lost. In actuality it's his second but no one really considers his first one a loss. He was beat by Montell Griffin (I think that's his name) by DQ. He knocked Griffin down but accidentally hit him one extra time while he was on the mat forcing the DQ.

I hope Jones doesn't retire. This is hands down the greatest pound-for-pound fighter today. It's mind boggling to realize him jumping his weight up and down to fight in all of the different weight classes. No one imagined he could bulk up to the heavies and fight but he did...and did well.

Any other boxing fans amongst us?

Forty-two

Sorry not a boxing fan here. I will watch a fight everyonce and a while, but I saw Tyson get his ass beat last summer.

Joe
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.
Pedro Offers you his Protection.

Jones made a Career out of dodging fighters and hiding behind Corrupt Sanctioning Bodies. Yes he has fast hands and could dance around the ring. Against the 2nd and third rate fighters he fought, He did appear to be great.
For 4 years he dodged Dariusz Michalczewski who was the Real Light Heavyweight Champion at the time. Instead he fought Part-time fighters claiming that they were mandatory. All the while defending Titles that were stripped from Dariusz Michalczewski for no good reason.
His win against Ruiz was impressive but it was obvious that Ruiz was a Lumbering, Slow heavyweight that didn’t have any real power. Any smaller faster fighter would have an easy time with him.
Most people feel that Tarver easily won their last fight on November 8 but was robbed by the judges. As Tarver so eloquently stated as Jones was still trying to get up off the canvas, “Judge That!!".
I have never been so happy to watch a fighter get KTFO as I was last night (Except for maybe when Barrera Slapped Hamed around for 12 rounds a couple years ago.)

You ask if there are any other Boxing Fans here?
Boxing Fanatic would be a better description.
I am a licensed USABA Coach and former boxer. 2 Years ago I trained and coached my younger brother to the Georgia state Championship in the Novice division at 175 lbs.

You're way off the mark with most of your comments. Oh well, to each is his own.

You tried to back up your comments with stating you trained your little brother to the Georgia State Championship in the novice division? Hmmm. What is his name? What's his professional record as of now? What was your professional record? Funny, I've never heard of you before.

Forty-two

I thought you wanted a Boxing discussion.
My Comments on Jones are NOT way off the mark, In fact I can back the up with FACTS.

Jones Never won a Title from a Defending Legitimate CHAMPION at Lt. Heavy.

Light Heavy
1. WBC - RJJ Won the VACANT Title from McCullum
2. WBA - RJJ Beat Lou del Valle for the Title that was stripped from DM. It was Del Valles first Defense of the title. He had just won the VACANT title against Smulders after it was stripped from DM.
3. IBF - Beat Reggie Johnson for the Title that had been stripped from DM. Johnson won this title from Guthrie who won the VACANT title against Darrin Allen (Who was 3-0 at the time. Who ever heard of a 3-0 guy getting a title shot?) after title was stripped from DM.

RJJ Currently held 3 of the 4 major titles at light heavy. (WBC) was vacant when he won it. The other two (WBA, IBF) were stripped from DM and declared vacant.

After collecting these VACANT Titles (That Rightfully belonged to the Legitimate Lineal Lt. Heavy Weight Champ Dariusz Michalczewski (DM) but were stripped by the corrupt sanctioning bodies because Jones was a Bigger name). Jones then did an excellent job of marketing himself as the UNDISPUTED Champion at Light Heavy. To this I say BULLSHIT!!
Then he goes on to defend against An Australian Garbage Man/Sanitation Worker, An Elementary School Teacher and a NY Policeman who all of which had never faced even a single ranked opponent. All the while convincing casual Boxing fans that he was the greatest fighter ever.
The step up to Heavy was a brilliant Marketing move but if you consider the competition, you will see that there was very little risk as Ruiz was a Chump with a belt.
Tarver out boxed Jones last November and was robbed of the decision. Last night he took the decision out of the judge’s hands.

Jones may be a Great Guy, But it is my opinion that he is the most over rated fighter in history. Nothing Personal against the guy, but he did duck the real Champ at Lt. Heavy while fighting tomato cans for several years.

As to my credentials, USBA is the Unites States Amateur Boxing Association. I do hold a Coach License. I fought in the late-80`s and was 3-2. I had to quit after the second time my nose was broken and required surgery. My brother fought in 2001 and 2002. He was 7-0 with 5 RSC`s (Ref Stops Contest). He won the Georgia Games in 2001. Neither of us ever fought Pro.
Funny, I never heard of you either.

Your "facts" are a reach at best. Still far off the mark. As I said, to each is his own.

Funny, I never heard of you either.

Yeah, never was a boxer. Never rose to the plateau of 3-2 as an amateur as yourself.

Regardless of your "professional" opinion, RJJ is and will always be widely known as one of the greatest fighters to have ever lived. unfortunatly, no matter who we discuss, there will always be those who want to bash someone else's ability. Fortunatly, those who think he's overrated are in the vast minority. Hate him all you want, he's the best there is. Period.

Enough with the side-tracked babbling. I really hope RJJ bounces back and shoots for a rematch. There is no question he is better than Tarver.

And speaking of Tarver, this is a stud. He looks absolutely brilliant. I am looking forward to seeing him in the future. The sport is fortunate to have a star like him.

Forty-two

Tarver has been around as long as Jones. He just was not marketed as well. They are both from Florida, Both 35 and Both LOVE to talk shit. Tarver did wait to go Pro until after the 96 Olympics and that did get him a little later start than Jones.
Tarver is one of the fighters that Jones spent years ducking. Tarver was supposed to get his shot at Jones in 2000 but Jones opted to fight another Civil Servant instead.

In the past 6 Years, Who has Jones faced that was a credible opponent other than Ruiz?
Yes, He Totally dominated everyone he faced but who were they?

Fighters like DLH, Trinidad, Barrera, Pacquiao and Wright who will always look for the best Possible opponent, those are great Fighters. Jones spent way too much of his career hiding behind the Sanctioning Bodies and fighting bogus mandatory in defense of belts that were improperly striped from the real Champion at that time. But he was Marketed very well and you are correct, casual Boxing fans will continue to think he was Great even though he refused to face the best available competition and when he finally did, He came up short.

I will say that Jones was the best at the business end of the sport ever. He has made over 100 Million and promoted his own fights so he got to keep most of that money.

At 35 Years old, Neither of these fighters have many great fights left in them. Father Time eventually wins against all great Boxers. I hope they both call it quits before they fight one too many.

Tarver has been around as long as Jones.

Really? Let's see. Jones became a pro in 89, I believe. Tarver hit the pros in 97.

Yeah, I suppose an 8 year difference is almost the same thing :S

You're confusing age with pro status. Yes, they're both the same age (or close to it), but the years they've been in the pros are drastically different.

Forty-two

They both started Boxing at the same time. Tarver stayed in the amateurs allot longer trying for the prize that meant the most to him. Olympic Gold. Most Boxers would tell you that they would take an Olympic gold over a Professional Title any day. Titles come and go at the whim of the corrupt sanctioning bodies, but Olympic Gold is forever.

Tarver has been around in Boxing just as long as Jones. Tarver has actually fought about 100 more fights than Jones because of the extra time he spent in the amateurs. Jones went pro earlier (after his 88 silver medal win, yes he deserved the gold and was indeed robbed in Korea).

My entire point in this thread was that if you look at Jones a little closer and look at the lineage of the titles he held at light heavy and who he chose to defend those titles against you will see that maybe he didn’t really walk on water. Maybe he was not quite as “GREAT” as he was marketed to be. This has been debated over and over again by hardcore boxing fans over the years.

Unfortunatly you're blindly believing the fabled, "Jones only fought scrubs" story. Sometimes you have to be your own person and believe your instincts and heart and not what a few say.

I could rant off at least a dozen names of top-notch opponents he's beaten. But what for? That will only cause about another 100 "he's good/no he's not good" responses.

Forty-two

Thank you! Did not saw the fight. Read it today on the internet and to be honest I'm with all Thanatos340 had said in this thread. Roy Jones is a good fighter but he is really not a best pound per pound fighter. Felix Trinidad is, unfortunately he lost to a very good fighter (can't remember his name right now) and he is retired right now, but Roy avoided countless time to fight with Trinidad...he knew he was no contest to Trinidad.

Now this is going to be a video saved as in My Favorites folder. What a clean and powerful punch that was.

Ivan "Rock On"

Trinidad is coming out of retirement in September to fight Mayorga. No tune up even, Right back in against the best fighter he could find. Trinidad’s first choice was Wright who had just beat Mosley, but Mosley chose to exercise his contractual right to a rematch with Wright therefore blocking the fight.
Trinidad vs Mayorga will be one hell of a fight.

Jones had planned on moving back up to Heavy to face Tyson and then retiring. Jones does not really need the money and may chose to go ahead and retire now before he gets hurt.

For 4 years he dodged Dariusz Michalczewski who was the Real Light Heavyweight Champion at the time.

Why because he would not go to Germany? And who did Julio César González beat? after Roy beat him? hhhhmmmmmm

In his career He beat Bernard Hopkins, James Toney, Merqui Sosa, Julio Gonzalez, Otis Grant, Eric Harding, Lou Del Valle, Virgil Hill, Thomas Tate, Mike McCallum, Vinny Pazienza, Reggie Johnson. Almost all of those guys are legitimate current or past world champions.

Who should he of fought?

3 and 2? you did not even get out novice status. That really does not classify you as a boxer. I had 5 fights at 12 years old my first 6 months of boxing and believe me those were not boxing matches. No matter what you think, he is a great fighter and I'm sure with your great silver gloves novice career would not even spar with Roy Jones with him wearing 18's

Also your brother at 175? is that a typo? That is pro Light heavy, Am Light heavy is 178 please check www.usaboxing.org

There are 2 types of people in this world: those who like Neil Diamond and those who don't. --Bill Murray

In his career He beat Bernard Hopkins, James Toney, Merqui Sosa, Julio Gonzalez, Otis Grant, Eric Harding, Lou Del Valle, Virgil Hill, Thomas Tate, Mike McCallum, Vinny Pazienza, Reggie Johnson. Almost all of those guys are legitimate current or past world champions.

Don't forget John Ruiz, Eric Lucas, Montel Griffin, Jorge Castro and Jorge Vaca. Everyone you listed along with the ones I listed are all top-notch fighters or at least were when he fought them.

I was going to list all the ones you did along with the ones I mentioned earlier but decided not to. Figured it would turn into a billion additional posts trying to pick apart each boxer.

It's all good. It's clear who knows boxing and whose merely a casual watcher.

Forty-two

JR. is one of my favorite all time boxers. IMHO the most talented guy to come along in a long, long time. Best pound for pound in the world.

As far as him losing this fight. Hey, we all have a bad day. This may be the wake up Roy needs to step it up to the next level(not that he isn't at the top already). I honestly think he has been bored for a long time. I bet he comes back and knocks Tarver out in a rematch. Sad day in Mudville when he lost. He will redeem himself!
Dom

Roy Jones is a good fighter but he is really not a best pound per pound fighter. Felix Trinidad is

Good question. Trinidad was an incredible fighter, but do you think he could have stepped up and beat John Ruiz? I don't think so. Tito is to small and doesn't have the type of power or endurance to stay in the ring with a Heavy Weight like Roy did. He made Ruiz look stupid the entire night. He also took a few really good shots from Ruiz that woud have leveled Trinadad.

I have seen some very stellar outings from Trinadad, but nothing to make me think he could ever make that type of jump. That alone puts Roy above him in my book. It also make Roy the best pound for pound and them some!
Dom

Trinidad was also humiliated by the Golden Boy a few years back (until De La Hoya laid up on him and bet on honest judges).

He was good, but not the best. One of those who was always on the brink, in my unexpert opinion.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Almost every one of the fights you mentioned was at Middleweight or Super Middle and happened over 8 years ago.

I still think that he is the most over rated fighter in history. Look at the past 4 years..

Tarver - 2004 -He got KTFO`ed.

Tarver 2003 - He got the gift decision.

Ruiz - Gotta give credit where it due. He was great in this fight.

Clinton Woods - A British Pub fighter and Recovering Alcoholic with No real Boxing Experience. RJJ still couldn't hurt him. He just danced around him until his corner threw in the towel. Who did he ever beat to deserve his shot?

Glenn Kelly - The Australian Garbage Collector who never even tried to punch back. It still took RJJ 7 Rounds for RJJ to let the guy find the excuse he was looking for since the 2nd to lay down. Who did he ever beat to deserve his shot?

Gonzeles - Mr. Excitement - Called this because he was know for getting up off the canvas to keep fighting. But RJJ seemed to have a real hard time putting him on the canvas unlike most of his previous opponents. How many times was he knocked down by Letterlough? 7 or 8 I beleive it was. Good thing there was no 3 knock down rule.

Harmon - World class? No. Credible Opponent for the P4P King? NO. Can RJJ put this guy away? NO. His corner finally throws in the towel after 10 rounds.

Harding: The only semi Credible Opponent RJJ has faced in YEARS and what does he do? He bitch slaps him in the arm for 10 rounds until his bicep separates. Is this way the P4P king should be taking out his Opponents?

Hall: This would be the school Teacher, Right. Out of his 25 fights leading up to the RJJ Fight Only 3 of those fighters had winning records. RJJ still cant take the guy out until the 11th.

Now to address the attacks on my original post in this thread.
In the first post in this thread Tunaplanet asked:

Any other boxing fans amongst us?

To which I replied:

You ask if there are any other Boxing Fans here?
Boxing Fanatic would be a better description.
I am a licensed USABA Coach and former boxer. 2 Years ago I trained and coached my younger brother to the Georgia state Championship in the Novice division at 175 lbs.

I did not expect to have to defend myself after making this statement. I was never claiming to be anything more that what I am, A HUGE Boxing fan that has tried to stay involved in the sport as much as possible. I will be more than happy to Scan my Coaches license and post a picture if you would like. I will also get pictures and Newspaper clippings from the 2001 Georgia Games if that would make you feel better. And while you attempt to belittle my accomplishments and mock my record, I will retrun to the subject at hand.

And yes you are correct, My Brothers Gold at the Georgia Games was at 178 in the Novice division. It was indeed a typo. Several other typos in that post as well.