dhayes31909

Haven't jumped in 3 years, need suggestion on pricing for my rig

I quit jumping about 3 years ago with the hopes to returning to the sport one day. Unfortunately this isn't going to happen in the near future.

It's an older javelin with a 170 main, i believe a 160 reserve (I don't remember the canopy brand). Out of date cypress. It's been well maintained and stored in a climate controlled location.

I purchased this used, and put ~300 jumps on it.

Answer these questions, and you may get a reasonable answer. Provide little info, and you will be lucky to get one easy payment of $200 :(

Container :
DOM
container size
harness size
total # of jumps

Main :
model and size
# of jumps onthe canopy
# of jumps on the lines
DOM ?
any damage ?

Reserve :
model and size
# of repacks
# of rides ?
DOM ?

I looked through the rig and got a bit more information..

Container : Javelin J3
DOM: May 93
C-4
total # of jumps 500+ (I put 300 on it, bought it used)

Main : 170
model unknown :(
# of jumps onthe canopy 500+
# of jumps on the lines 300 (I replaced the lines when i got it)
any damage - one patch upper side

Reserve : 160
# of repacks 20ish
# of rides ? none by me, maybe 1 for previous owner.

Hope this helps a bit

I looked through the rig and got a bit more information..

Container : Javelin J3
C-4
total # of jumps 500+ (I put 300 on it, bought it used)

Main : 170
model unknown :(
# of jumps onthe canopy 500+
# of jumps on the lines 300 (I replaced the lines when i got it)
any damage - one patch upper side

Reserve : 160
# of repacks 20ish
# of rides ? none by me, maybe 1 for previous owner.

Hope this helps a bit

Is there a typo in there?

"C-4" seems unlikely.

"C" is the yoke sizing. No problem. I have a "C" yoke myself.

But, "4" would be the main lift web length. I am only about 5'9", and my container is "C-18".

So, please verify that number, if you would.

-paul

since you are unable to provide the info, you will have a hard time selling this for over $700.

if you decide to be a bit more proactive and figure out the harness size, the main model and the reserve model, you may fetch a bit more.

Ditto on what he said, you need all that basic info

You allegedly replaced the lines on a canopy and then put 300 jumps on it, but you don't know the model of the canopy? Bullshit.

Please return the rig to its rightful owner.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?forum=44;

actually i am the rightful owner.

I opened the main and pulled the reserve card from the rig and got basic info..

Harness DOM: May 93
The Harness says C-4 on the tag, I'm 5'10" 160lbs and the harness fits me perfectly
Rig SN: 4417

Main: PD190 500+ jumps (300 by me)
SN: 19010273

Reserve: PD176R 0 rides repacked ~ 20 times
SN: 4712

Like I said, I jumped for ~2 years and then havent jumped for 3 years. Some info kind of slips away over 3 years.

does seem kinda suspect that you make 300 jumps on a rig and cant remember the brand of canopy. Not to mention on the reserve packcard it says the kind and size of reserve.

if you jumped 300 times, why wouldnt you pull the main out, take pictures and repack it?

sketchy!
Moriuntur omnes, sed non omnes vixerunt.

You allegedly replaced the lines on a canopy and then put 300 jumps on it, but you don't know the model of the canopy? Bullshit.

The Harness says C-4 on the tag, I'm 5'10" 160lbs and the harness fits me perfectly

Like I said, I jumped for ~2 years and then havent jumped for 3 years. Some info kind of slips away over 3 years.

I don't believe you. I could be wrong, but I'll bet I'm not.

But thanks for the serial numbers. Don't mind if I preserve them here, do you?

Guys~ OR maybe:

He just wasn't that into it anymore so he hung it up 3 years ago and hasn't thought about jumping or the gear in quite a while...

Might be he just couldn't handle all the friendly open minded comradery ... :ph34r:

Jeez, I know I couldn't name anything but the manufacturer on scuba gear I haven't touched in that long...names & model numbers are lost in the gray matter, replaced by more pertinent info that's actually of interest to me.

From the initial post we can ascertain that he quit, he knows what a cypress is and that his is out of date and he has kept the gear in a climate controlled environment.

2nd post tells us he knows what info is important, where to look for it and freely posts the names & numbers in a public forum.

What's with the dog-pile on a guy that, until proven otherwise was one of us...and is just reaching out!? :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I don't believe you. I could be wrong, but I'll bet I'm not.

But thanks for the serial numbers. Don't mind if I preserve them here, do you?

Not at all.
I just dropped the rig off at my local DZ to have the rigger inspect the rig and repack the reserve, also to have the cypress removed as it's out of date.

I do appreciate the constructive posts in response to this thread.

While at the DZ I found my AFF grad photo still posted on the wall, which proved that my dates are off a bit.
I finished AFF in Jan of 04, and jumped for 2 years, ergo.. I've been out of the sport for 4-5 years.. which led to even further degradation of the knowledge i had of my rig.

To the poster asking why i didn't pull the main and repack it. Good question, I honestly didn't think to look at the tag on the tail of the canopy until yesterday.

This will be my last post here, as I don't see the point in continuously trying to prove i was a jumper.. however, myself and my father jumped approximately 300 jumps within 2 years. I never reached out for anything past my A license. During those 2 years I had some of the best memories of my life, most of which occurred at Skydive Atlanta (amazing staff!).

It was a great trip down memory lane stopping by there to have my rig inspected :D

Skydiving will always have a place in my heart, and hopefully one day things will work out to where I can return to the sport. Until then.. blue skies :D

I quit jumping about 3 years ago with the hopes to returning to the sport one day. Unfortunately this isn't going to happen in the near future.

It's an older javelin with a 170 main, i believe a 160 reserve (I don't remember the canopy brand). Out of date cypress. It's been well maintained and stored in a climate controlled location.

I purchased this used, and put ~300 jumps on it.

how much did YOU pay for it?

" ... Main: PD190 500+ jumps (300 by me)
SN: 19010273 ..."

Lighten up guys!
The poor guy just quoted you everything that was written on the canopy's data panel.
When Performance Designs first started making canopies, they only called them "PD whatever size."
The above information tells me that it is a nine-cell canopy made of F-111. It probably had Dacron lines when new.
If it was a PD 7-cell (F-111 fabric), the name would end in an odd number (e.g. PD 253).
If it was a PD reserve, the model name would end in the letter "R" (e.g. PD253R).

Now I challenge you smarty-pants to tell us the names of two other famous PD canopies made of F-111 fabric.
Twardo, please sit this one out as I know that you know that I know ... and would prefer to see the young smarty-pants squirm in their seats.
Hah!
Hah!