billvon

Rantoul networking

CAT5 is'nt an issue. Still got an unopened 1000 foot box from last year and probally 400 feet in the other box.

Blah blah blah, is that whats in the boxes i put in my storage unit? It was blue cable. (i'm soooo not a computer geek)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

> If you guys have ANY antennae problems let me know.......

If you could get us two directional antennas (dishes, yagis, whatever) good for 5.2 to 5.8 GHz that would help with the 802.11a problems. SMA connectors ideally. If not, I may be able to scrounge up some 2.4GHz bandpass filters.

> If you guys have ANY antennae problems let me know.......

If you could get us two directional antennas (dishes, yagis, whatever) good for 5.2 to 5.8 GHz that would help with the 802.11a problems. SMA connectors ideally. If not, I may be able to scrounge up some 2.4GHz bandpass filters.

Old primestar dishes work well for this. They can be used with either 802.11a or b

Example

That is, if you have any of them laying around. You can make the connector to the AP anything you want because its just on the end of a coax.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

CAT5 isn't an issue. Still got an unopened 1000 foot box from last year and probably 400 feet in the other box.

How far are the tents apart? Rather than deal with wireless, why not bury the cable in a garden hose or use those wire protectors they use at concerts. The golf carts would probably like them, they're like a little ramp. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Hmmm...maybe I should get that shirt, too. I don't talk geek either, but I feel the same way as Lisa does about it.

[shaking my head]You're both very disturbed[/shaking my head]
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

That's what we did. It's just so inelegant.

Yeah but it's cheap!!! Make it kind of a theme an have fun with it. Call it the redneck setup!!!

Have your networking equipment sit on top of old equipment (an big old token ring hub would be perfect)
Run a couple of pieces of cable that aren't hooked up and hang some shirts on them.
Make a satellite dish out of beer cans
Hang up two tin cans and a long string and call it the "backup system." When someone asks how it works tell them you run one end to the ISP and then make the modem connecting sound with your mouth.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

>Old primestar dishes work well for this.

I thought Primestar was polarized and used an LNA in the antenna.

Yeah, but for 802.11abg you are only using the reflecting surface. You use a homemade feed for it.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

If you could get us two directional antennas (dishes, yagis, whatever) good for 5.2 to 5.8 GHz that would help with the 802.11a problems. SMA connectors ideally.

I don't have any dishes but let me dig out some old field manuals and see what I can do. When I was in the military We mainly used simple stuff like long wires or an inverted V. Never worked with anything that high freq though. However, a transmission signal is pretty much a transmission signal so all the theory should still apply. I'm thinking something along the lines of an inverted V would work well to cover the entire convention area since you would have dual transmission lobes. How much power does the transmitter use?

Hmmm...maybe I should get that shirt, too. I don't talk geek either, but I feel the same way as Lisa does about it.

Hey! Back off! For those of us with no accents or don't wear a uniform we need the few that enjoy the geek talk!

Hey! Back off! For those of us with no accents or don't wear a uniform we need the few that enjoy the geek talk!

yah what he said
~D

yah what he said

Yea too bad most men cannot handle a women that can dish out the geek talk:S
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto