KevinMcGuire

E2C

Sure - It's a US Navy Carrier Airborne Early Warning aircraft affectionatly known as a "E-2C Hawkeye"

Probably not what your referring to though :P

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

Sure - It's a US Navy Carrier Airborne Early Warning aircraft affectionatly known as a "E-2C Hawkeye"

Probably not what your referring to though :P

I'm assuming he is asking about the E2C emergency bailout parachute system for the E2C aircraft.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

That is correct. For those of you who have never worked on and E2C, most likely you don't know the meaning of complex. After almost 20 years working on parachutes, it's like I'm a brand new rigger all over again.

While I have not worked on the E2C system, I beg to augue that it could not be any more complex that the early 1960's Matin Baker systems.

I spent a lot of time rebuilding a couple of sets for some Folland Gnats.
The manuals stacked together in the floor was over two feet tall!
Some of the complex parts included wind-down release mechanisms,timers, altimers, airspeed indicators, drogue inside of drouge decelarators, and automatic releases..

These make the L-39 ejection seats that I also work on, look very simplistic .

BS,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

" ... could not be any more complex that the early 1960's Matin Baker systems.

I spent a lot of time rebuilding a couple of sets for some Folland Gnats. ..."

That reminds me of a pair we "overhauled" - when I worked for Butler. They arrived with cotton containers and left with Cordura containers.
Hah!
Hah!

The rig you are talking about is made by Simula Inc. out of Tempe, AZ. There are 3 versions, There are 3 versions of the Durachute. One is in service with the Navy and Air Force as an aircrew system, the version you have for the E-2C and one for the P-3 Orion.
They are or were all environmental sealed using a souped up version of a seal-a-meal that was proprietary. There were a special “O” rings that went around the risers to allow for the seal.
I was involved in the testing of the system, did the TSO jumps and most of the drop tests. They were conducted over a 2 year period at AREO facilities, China Lake Weapons Center and Yuma Proving Grounds.
This a video of the last test done by AERO. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I41H1pmRKMw
Attached is a picture of me during one of the TSO tests. (SAE AS8015 Revision B - 4.3.9)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Hi Sparky,

What is AERO doing these days?

My dear, departed friend Joe Crowell sent me a sample pilot chute many years ago ...

After Joe was injured AERO did 2 more programs. We finished off the testing Irvin’s ATPS canopy. Attachment 1 is me doing a live jump on it down at the old El Centro Navy base. Then we tested a 3 canopy recovery system, 62’ each, for Irvin. It was for a Japanese SST. After that AERO just kinds of faded away. Joe was the spark plug that made it work.
Sure do miss him.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I packed many of the early E2Cs for the Navy to test while working for SEI in Asheville. Made a few jumps on the Thin Packs the Navy put in the P-3 Orions. Great Gig till Simula pulled the plug.We did deliver the Navy around 6000 rigs.