precision

So, you think you can PsychoPack?

I developed the PsychoPack back in the late 1990's for the purpose of controlling new ZP fabric while putting the canopy into a deployment bag. My lifelong dearest friend, speedstar teammate, coworker, fellow pilot, DZO and test jumper, Beezy Shaw (RIP), worked at Precision Aerodynamics for many years, and quickly became the very best "PsychoPacker" I had ever seen.

If you think you have the right stuff to become the new "Best PsychoPacker", send me a quick video of yourself displaying your technique, while explaining what you are doing, to [email protected]

It doesn't matter to me what brand or style of canopy you are packing. Crossbrace to Tandem, or anywhere in between. I want to select the person who I think has the best technique in a new training video featuring the PsychoPack.

George Galloway
Precision Aerodynamics

I doubt it. My guess is glory.

I would like another Xaos 27 though and my packing demonstrations are exceptional so I will win if there is a prize. Sorry guys. That's just the way it is ;)

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

If you think you have the right stuff to become the new "Best PsychoPacker", send me a quick video of yourself displaying your technique, while explaining what you are doing, to [email protected]

Do we have to then jump what we packed?
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

Thanks for the PsychoPack! I was having slammer opennings. The psycho pack enabled me to get everything into too small of a bag neatly....I no longer have to go to the chiropractor to get my neck worked on....

Since psychopack is a BAGING method and not a PACKING method, how can it affect the opening?

Thanks for the PsychoPack! I was having slammer opennings. The psycho pack enabled me to get everything into too small of a bag neatly....I no longer have to go to the chiropractor to get my neck worked on....

Since psychopack is a BAGING method and not a PACKING method, how can it affect the opening?

If it results in the canopy going in more neatly/retaining the order that existed when it was laid down on the ground, it should tend to improve openings.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Although a lot of people, my self included, pro pack and then psycho bag, there is a whole way of packing called the psycho pack. It is not the same as pro packing. There is a video running around somewhere of Bezzy psycho packing start to finish; it is worth checking out. for what its worth, just the baging portion of a psycho pack does seem to slow the opening up a bit.

Hey Steve. Hows it going? When are we going to see you in Ronan again? I'm heading out the door on my way up there in about 10 minutes to do a couple jumps. Also if you have not heard, Jeff's plane is in the air in Bozeman again so we will be jumping there as well. Hope to see you soon.

Clint.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

Hey Steve. Hows it going? When are we going to see you in Ronan again? I'm heading out the door on my way up there in about 10 minutes to do a couple jumps. Also if you have not heard, Jeff's plane is in the air in Bozeman again so we will be jumping there as well. Hope to see you soon.

Clint.

Clint: you have made over 1000 posts. Can you distinguish between a post and a PRIVATE MESSAGE?

Since psychopack is a BAGING method and not a PACKING method, how can it affect the opening?***

There are several steps in the psycho that aren't typical of a usual pro-pack. Openings are definitely affected. Even if the psycho was merely a bagging method it could have an effect on openings. BTW it's bagging not baging even in all caps.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

So what are those steps?

Serious question? You've not pyscho packed?

The parachute is flaked like a PRO pack but the tail isn't rolled after bringing it up.

The psycho overview: Turn the parachute around and place it nose-up on the floor. Pull the tail-ends across and purge the air. Fold in the sides and roll that sucker up. Bag it and rotate it back to the 'normal' position for stowing lines.

Sound like a PRO pack?

If you watch the video you will see how it works. ;)
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

So what are those steps?

Serious question? You've not pyscho packed?

The parachute is flaked like a PRO pack but the tail isn't rolled after bringing it up.

The psycho overview: Turn the parachute around and place it nose-up on the floor. Pull the tail-ends across and purge the air. Fold in the sides and roll that sucker up. Bag it and rotate it back to the 'normal' position for stowing lines.

Sound like a PRO pack?

If you watch the video you will see how it works. ;)

FYI I have tried. Rolling is not any better, easier folding a new canopy. If your canopy flowing out under your knee than you do you think it would be easier to roll several layers in a controlled manner.

Only different thing is the rolling up part. The flip is just for practical reasons. Have you ever tried to jump hop and pop with a hat on your head? You are going to lost it unless you hold it on. So I doubt that rolling would have difference compared to S-folding.

Do you know how the brake chutes are packed for airplanes? Hint: they don't get folded or rolled. ;)

So than what "makes" it open better than PRO-pack? Positive thinking or placebo effect. If you pychopack than you can feel like unique or at least cool. Things tend to work better if you believe in them. Canopies tend to be work better if you are more relaxed.

I typically PRO pack, Gabor, but with very new or slippery parachutes, I find it much, much easier to control the pack with the pyscho.

It's easier to control the roll than the s-fold because the s-fold tends to/wants to squirt away. The roll allows one to maintain inward pressure on the material and keep it right there.

As far as openings, I find the PRO pack opens more consistently on-heading - that is, with less searching - but I have never had a psycho opening that wasn't smooth and easy.

How many psycho jumps, you might want to know? Much fewer than PRO's, I admit, but I've jumped ~300 psycho packjobs.

Aircraft drag chutes? I'm not an airframe mechanic so I don't worry about them! :D;)

Nova

"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

It's easier to control the roll than the s-fold because the s-fold tends to/wants to squirt away.

I did try with a new canopy.
There are other ways to bag a canopy: I do like this.. I saw a Kung Fu method yesterday, but I don't have it on video.

Nothing is wrong with PRO-packing, just he classic S-folding is dumb. I see people keep on forcing it and they never learn for their mistakes.

Packing is just another religion: you need rules, technique, faith, a preacher and some kneeling.;)

There are other ways to bag a canopy

Yes, there are many ways to pack and bag. In my experience, the psycho gives the best bagging method - it's very easy to control the roll.

Packing is like religion, as you suggested. It takes patience, perseverence and plenty time on the knees. ;)

Have you ever tried to jump hop and pop with a hat on your head? You are going to lost it unless you hold it on.

I have no idea what this has to do with packing or this thread, but I still disagree with your statement. I do it all the time. Base Ball cap, turned backwards, pitch right out the door, have never lost one.

Have you ever tried to jump hop and pop with a hat on your head? You are going to lost it unless you hold it on.

I have no idea what this has to do with packing or this thread, but I still disagree with your statement. I do it all the time. Base Ball cap, turned backwards, pitch right out the door, have never lost one.

Sure, you dont you it if you don't put it into the wind. What is the connection? Why do you expect that the material would stay that you in the wind of 100+km/h.

I don't really roll it up, when I psycho pack. It's more a series of folds. It's simple to get the air out. I learned that method off of the inter-net, several years back.

I had a new Hornet that was slamming the hell out of me nearly every opening. Part of the problem was that I was putting a 170 hornet into a 150 bag. It fits fine, if I psycho pack, but I can't do it neat enough using any other method.

I'm not saying the psycho pack is better. I'm just saying that I can't pack it neat enough, with any other method....

I know you're not serious. If you've psycho packed or even studied the method you know the answer. Bagging is part of packing, making a distinction is irrelevant.

My limited experience with psycho packing did not produce desirable results, also I don't find the method particularly useful. Then again I am a truly shitty packer using any method. :)

Sometimes you eat the bear..............

See my posts above.

My limited experience with psycho packing did not produce desirable results, also I don't find the method particularly useful. Then again I am a truly shitty packer using any method. Smile

Well, I've completed about 1500 packjobs, time 2 time packing for friends or for money. I don't do PyscoPack. I wanted to try, but my intructor/mentor did not let me do it, because he did not know.... I have even tried to roll up my new canopy, but it was not any easier. I pack most of the time on my way except tandems and if I teach student to pack. So its not about good, bad or ugly, just I don't need it.