Scooter1812

Crossfire 2 139???

Question: I been jumping my Katana 170 for 2 1/2 years now and was getting bored. Instead of doing the intelligent thing and demoing one, I just went out and bought a Crossfire 2 - 139. I will be loading the CF2 at about 1.6.

Do you think I'll feel much more performance? Can you flare this thing on a straight in approach?

I am getting older and don't really swoop (old school toggle hook turn champ)

Do you think I'll feel much more performance?

Is this a serious question? 30 sq-ft difference and you're wondering if you'll see a performance difference??

I just tried out a Crossfire2 159 yesterday, and I usually jump a Nitron 170. It was in a completely different ballpark. I know it's a katana, but a 30sqft drop from any canopy to a xfire will be noticeable to say the least.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

I mainly want to know if I can fly this CF2 in somewhat straight and flare it out.

Yes, it will flare just fine on a straight in approach. I've jumped a XF2 139 loaded a bit over 2 and it landed straight in just fine. Same with the XF2 149 loaded at 1.9 that I jumped for a couple of years. Hell, even my loaded up velo lands fine straight in.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I never claimed the katana 170 is slow. Obviously I know the opposite is true. But I think the crossfire and katana are closer in performance than you think. Not equal no, but closer. Certainly a 30sqft drop to a canopy with close performance qualities will make a noticeable difference at least.

The 159 was loaded about 1.5 on me and it landed sweet on a typical straight in landing, once in about 10kt head wind and the other in no wind. I think you'll like how it shuts down.
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

Thanks for the advice. I was just a little scared that I bought a canopy I've never tried. A lot of money on an unknown. I heard that the CF2 was trimmed slightly less agressive than the Katana. So being a non swooper I was worried that it might not have enough speed to come straight in and have decent flare.

I really love the KA-170 but the opening can be very long and squirely sometimes. I'm hoping the CF2 -139 will be better.

I never claimed the katana 170 is slow. Obviously I know the opposite is true. But I think the crossfire and katana are closer in performance than you think. Not equal no, but closer. Certainly a 30sqft drop to a canopy with close performance qualities will make a noticeable difference at least.

The 159 was loaded about 1.5 on me and it landed sweet on a typical straight in landing, once in about 10kt head wind and the other in no wind. I think you'll like how it shuts down.

Why are you talking please be quite now!

Ive got a CF 134 loading at 1.6 and its good for straight in approaches , it gets me back from long spots hanging on the rears and it can be swooped in. Its an awesome canopy!

The XF2 opening is long. I've jumped a Katana and if you think the opening on a katana is long...wait until you jump the XF2. However...your squirrely (katana) will turn into pleasant. XF2 is the nicest (in my opinion) overall canopy i've ever jumped. I've owned a 139, 119, and have about 20 jumps on a 109.

But don't kid yourself on it...it is not a "toggle whip" type canopy. It will dive and hurt you if you aren't on top of it. I'm sure you will enjoy your 139.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

Why are you talking please be quite now!

Ive got a CF 134 loading at 1.6 and its good for straight in approaches , it gets me back from long spots hanging on the rears and it can be swooped in. Its an awesome canopy!

Isn't that basically the same thing I said? :S

and i quote "it landed sweet on a typical straight in landing" and "I think you'll like how it shuts down"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52