jim_32766

New PD Packing Video

I agree. I've seen way to many people "teach" packing to students on canopies 135 and smaller. It's really difficult for students to learn how to lay the canopy down, get the fabric under control, and put it in the bag when they're not shown on a canopy close to the size they will be packing.

I agree. I've seen way to many people "teach" packing to students on canopies 135 and smaller. It's really difficult for students to learn how to lay the canopy down, get the fabric under control, and put it in the bag when they're not shown on a canopy close to the size they will be packing.

Note taken, I teach packing next time on a Strong tandem. ;)

I disagree. Nothing changes in the way it is done based on the size of the canopy. What Nick showed in the video can be applied to any size canopy that anyone here is jumping. It takes more skill to do it well on a larger canopy than a smaller one but for teaching purposes the technique needs to be easy for the student to see and grasp and a smaller canopy allows for that. Teaching on a larger canopy can make it more difficult for a student to see what the instructor is teaching. I can and do apply the same technique I use to pack my 97 sq ft Storm that I use to pack a 360 sq ft Military canopy. The later simply requires more time and effort to accomplish the same end.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Interesting, not only was I taught on, I then had to jump said taught on pack jobs (200sq ft+). Made me hate packing so much that I did NOT pack unless I had to until I started flying video at a DZ with no packers and wanted to know what was in the pack job. A lesson re-learned this past weekend. Now I fly much smaller canopies and would rather pack for myself.

Note taken, I teach packing next time on a Strong tandem. ;)

That would be fun. Aren't those basically roll packed? :P

I tend to teach on the canopy the new jumper is going to jump. If I made a video, I'd try to use a 150.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

That would be fun. Aren't those basically roll packed? Tongue

Wow, you so much about it! Than you should have know that is the T520. :P
But not the SET-420 and SET-350.

I tend to teach on the canopy the new jumper is going to jump.

It does not really matter, they don't know what to do anyway.

I little problem is there that I prefer to pack a tandem on a hook.[:/]

This is by far the best packing video that you can get. It matters little that the size of the Canopy. I am new to packing, I have to Psycho Pack my Saber2. The canopy is so slick that I cannot do a pro-pack and I need to pull the tail over everything and secure it with my knees. Make a few folds and I have on heading openings every time. If someone Pro-packs the canopy for me, there is no telling where its going to open.

Saber2 - End cell closures every time? Comments on this? I know it is no big deal but just wondering if this is a characteristic of the canopy.
If you do things that don't make you appreciate life than why do them

This is by far the best packing video that you can get. It matters little that the size of the Canopy. I am new to packing, I have to Psycho Pack my Saber2. The canopy is so slick that I cannot do a pro-pack and I need to pull the tail over everything and secure it with my knees. Make a few folds and I have on heading openings every time. If someone Pro-packs the canopy for me, there is no telling where its going to open.

I asked this when you mentioned that you psycho pack in another thread, but I'm curious as to what you mean by this. As far as I understand it, there are no s-folds in a psycho pack - it's rolled into the bag. Am I misunderstanding something ?

Saber2 - End cell closures every time? Comments on this? I know it is no big deal but just wondering if this is a characteristic of the canopy.

It is certainly a characteristic of my Sabre2.

I think it is a function of slower openings and lighter wing loadings.

Maybe AggieDave could comment - I believe he has quite a few jumps on Sabre2's loaded in the 1.7-1.8 range (maybe higher).
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

It takes more skill to do it well on a larger canopy than a smaller one.....

So what your saying is Nick does not have the "SKILLS" to pack a student canopy well. If that is the case then I totally agree with you! :P;)

I gotta start running that Grillet kid has long legs and I bet can out run me! Please point him in the opposite direction so I can get a head start..................................

Chris
It's Jimmy Time!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Fast-As-Fuck/6099474213

Psycho pack = sleeping bag roll, not s fold although there's nothing saying you can't combine.

Good videos, interesting to note the differences between Scott Miller's version and Nick's.

Also, for everyone's reference:

Taunt: To reproach in a mocking, insulting, or contemptuous manner.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/taunt

Taut: Pulled or drawn tight; not slack
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/taut

I'm packing my canopy in my new rig and having issues (I wasn't a great packer to start with), it's a new infinity. I'm seriously considering switching to a psycho pack, or sucking less. Well, I mean if I sucked less at packing that would be optimal but that just takes time. ;)

I've jumped Sabre 2 from

I asked this when you mentioned that you psycho pack in another thread, but I'm curious as to what you mean by this. As far as I understand it, there are no s-folds in a psycho pack - it's rolled into the bag. Am I misunderstanding something ?

In the other thread I was talking about Combining the Psycho Pack and the Pro Pack. Which is how I do it. I was taught how to Pro Pack. I learned Psycho packing, I do not like the rolling, but I S-Fold instead. It works well for me. People see me packing this way and ask why I do it. I would say like I said in the other thread it is because I am new, the canopy is new. I like to know that all my lines are behind the nose where they should be. I like to make sure that my slider is correct and going to catch air first to allow for that soft opening. and maybe for me it is the "best" way that I can achieve all of these things. I will make a video this weekend and post it for Critique.

Respectfully,

Adam

It is certainly a characteristic of my Sabre2.

I think it is a function of slower openings and lighter wing loadings.

Maybe AggieDave could comment - I believe he has quite a few jumps on Sabre2's loaded in the 1.7-1.8 range (maybe higher).

It happens on lighter loaded Sabre2s. So I guess you could say its a characteristic of the canopy. In my experience Sabre2s open very nice, a little end cell closure on opening is not an issue, but something that happens on occasion with a nice opening.

Loading around 1.4 the end cell closures typically taper off. Around 1.7 I never experienced it. At 1.9 it didn't happen and over 2.0, it was a non-issue.

It is important to remember that those are all on "larger" Sabre2s. The smallest Sabre2 I've jumped is a 135, the largest is a 230.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

In the other thread I was talking about Combining the Psycho Pack and the Pro Pack. Which is how I do it. I was taught how to Pro Pack. I learned Psycho packing, I do not like the rolling, but I S-Fold instead.

If you don't turn 180 degrees and roll it up than it isn't Psycho Pack and you really don't know what are you bubbling about.:S

If you don't turn 180 degrees and roll it up than it isn't Psycho Pack and you really don't know what are you bubbling about.Crazy

ok so it is not a Psycho Pack because I do not roll it up. Everything else about the entire packjob is the same. I just do not sleeping bag roll. I flip it, open it, seperate it, close it fold it, flip it back over, then S-Fold it. So your right, its not a psycho pack. It is a Modified Propack B|