kansasskydiver

I met the rudest most inconsiderate "whuffo" I've ever met last night :(

Last night we went jumping, I made 4 jumps, even did a 3 way and 4 way (haven't flown RW in about 300 jumps;)). After jumping we decided we'd hit tha bars to just relax and meet up with some friends. We got to the bar, I had my first drink and then a group of friends one of our SL students knew showed up. A couple guys sat around with the girl and were talking to her, she then introduced us as the parachute club. The real story begins from here...

The conversation with 2 guys started right off the bat comparing dick sizes. Apparently he was airborn and has made some jumps (talked more than he knew and some dates of locations he jumped into weren't valid for his age) They asked how high I had ever jumped from and I said 23k, he came back with "pthhh I've jumped from 30k HALO and HAHA." Cool dude, good for you conversation carries on. They it turns into more of an arguement when he, infront of about 5 REAL skydivers says that we're all "tweeked" and that he dislikes civilian jumpers because we jump for the wrong reason...

What reason is this that we jump for? Because we enjoy it, because it's peacful, because we don't have to have someone tell us to jump. The debate got heated and it turned to only him and I (I don't let down easily when people are in my face telling me I'm tweaked and need help etc) We start talking about canopy sizes and that civ jumpers are crazy and ruin the "sport" that we have no respect for what it is and that we jump for the wrong reasons. We're crazy, jump in winds we never should be and are "dangerous" So I asked him what his exit weight was, he said 260lbs, I said ok, I'm 260 out the door too, but I jump a canopy that can land in winds more than 4mph (as his defense was that anything over 4mph was too much). I asked him what size canopy he was jumping, he said something like T13-T14. I've never heard of them, but I could be wrong.

What really gets to me is when he brings up Geoff Peggs, a dear friend of mine who died skydiving 3 years ago. Next weekend is our memorial boogie for him so the thoughts and memories are running high, I just talked with his mom the day before etc. The whuffo starts debating with me about the reason of his death and that he died for nothing, died for the wrong reasons, that it was his fault for jumping and not understanding what the reason was.

He didn't know anything about the accident, he was claiming that he exited from 1500ft and that the air was too dense to be jumping? I made a quick response and go "Do you mean the air molecules were radified? (if you've ever seen the tandem surfin video, it's an inside joke)

He continued to go on about how he jumped for the wrong reasons and that it was his fault. Geoff died doing something he loved and wouldn't have wanted it any other way. I finally got so pissed off, 3 beers from the dz and 2 drinks topped with everclear, it was just best for me to leave. I got up, said goodbye to everyone and left the bar pretty much in tears that someone could be so inconsiderate for another ones life and tragic loss of a friend.[:/] What an ass
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

Damn, I get all riled up just reading that. I can't stand people who think they know everything under the sun and will argue to the end of the earth about it. >:(

You did the right thing by getting up and leaving instead of sinking to his pathetic level.

That's really ridiculous. I'm sorry you had to put up with that, but leaving was probably the smartest thing to do. Some people can be so arrogant.

blue skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

that must have taken a lot of strength not to beat his ass right there. >:( obviously this asshat is a completely ignorant dickhead. grrrr. that stinks.

Yes it did, I don't drop shit easily when people are in my face. Everyone else had dropped out of the conversation and it was just him and I. One of my good friends was still with me there and listening and calming me down and I really thank her for doing so and then sure I got back home and making sure I didn't do or say anything stupid[:/]

Ignorance + alcohol never turns out well.

Don't worry, he'll get his.

Sounds like you did the right thing by letting this numbnut talk, everyone else around him sees his idiocy that way.

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone have a really good way to shut up someone who's talking out of their ass? You know, something clever and witty that will make the girl he's showing off for laugh at him?
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

I asked him what size canopy he was jumping, he said something like T13-T14. I've never heard of them, but I could be wrong.

I think these are round parachutes used by the military. You usually have to jump them in lower winds.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I asked him what size canopy he was jumping, he said something like T13-T14. I've never heard of them, but I could be wrong.

I think these are round parachutes used by the military. You usually have to jump them in lower winds.

Agreed, but do you do HALOs and HAHOs under rounds? I'm not up to date on all the military jumping stuff, but my understanding was that they were done under large square canopies

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone have a really good way to shut up someone who's talking out of their ass?

Sure. Act interested. Let him answer questions with ridiculous answers until it becomes apparent to others that he is an idiot. Hand him the verbal sword and let him cut his own throat.

Sport jumping is unsafe? How?

So you've seen a lot of sport jumping? No? What is unsafe about it? Unsafe to jump in winds over 4mph? Only for rounds, did you know we don't jump rounds?

What type of sport rig did you jump? What kind of forward speed did it have? Really, 6mph, all ours are over 15mph. What size canopy?

What license do you have? No, I mean like an "A"? What number? You don't remember? :ph34r:

Do you jump every weekend? Where?

I have found it is best to approach siutations like this with a "Yeah, whatever" type of attitude.

You should feel sorry for the guy because HE is the one who has to go through his whole life as an asshole; and I would wager a guess that alot of people in his everyday life feel that way.
"I gargle no man's balls..." ussfpa on SOCNET

Just remember that you're the one who gets to enjoy your life by skydiving. Good for walking away. That jerk wasn't worth wasting your time on. He probably was scared shitless for each airborne jump he made and is jealous that you jump out of planes for fun.

I just find it funny when a 1 jump wonder gets into it. So does my wife. As a cute girl (yes, I'm biased, but she is:)
I like to BS my way to make sure I know he's a complete wanker: fake gear names, fake known people names, etc... Not long ago, a chump pretented he was heavy into BASE. I happen to knwo quite a few of the very well know BASE people here, so he was quite stumped when I asked him of he jumped with so and so.... :D
Remster

shit dude you just spurred my memory. The dude said he wanted to BASE jump someday before he died, I asked him why not to start skydiving civilian style so he could start BASE jumping. He said cause it wasn't for the right reasons and that he didn't want to die in our sport. I told him that was his problem, he's scared of dying an unfullfilled life but is too much of a chicken shit to do anything.

I don't remember much of the BASE conversation, I was too pissed and trying to not let him get to me

I dont quite understand what the guy said "the right reasons" are?

Why do I jump? to have fun with a bunch of cool people, why else? I have no alternate reasons.

Sounds like he is talking a bunch of BS to avoid being accused of beign too scared to jump by his own will.

(When someone tells me they are too scared to skydive, i never laugh or make them look smaller than myself. I have seen people do it, and I think thats retarded. There are things I am afriad to do, you cannot accuse me of having no balls. Don't accuse other people of not having balls if they dont want to do it! (In general!))

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!