freeflymat

Sticky reserve tray atom

Anyone else had this,
the rig is a 2004 atom legend, cordura, blue in colour and 1 owner since new. I washed the rig in pure soap and water rinsed it thoroughly and noticed the reserve packing tray had turned to a milky white colour. After air drying it for a few days I put it in a room with a dehumidifier(live in the tropics) and it dried out back to original condition. Am now repacking it for the second time and upon opening the pack am not happy with the amount of adhesion in the reserve pack tray area. The rig has never been scotch guarded and it is only apparent in the reserve pack tray area as mentioned.
weather holds make me hungry!

Yes this is something I know, it did happen sometimes with Atom red and black cordura from 2002 to 2005 in places which are wet and hot like French Island "ile de la Reunion", or places where happened a particular weather event, it really comes an issue when the steering lines are stucked on the reserve pack tray, Aerazur Parachutes de France has been working this winter on a double wall to fix this issue ..except adding some talc there is not much you can do, and checking out every 4 monts for instance by onening your serverve (without repack)

Javelin had a similar problem a few years back with red Cordura. The problem was a thick coating of soft urethane.
The urethane coating was originally designed to water-proof camping gear, but has only marginal relevance to parachute containers. Urethane became problematic when Javelin reserve pilot chutes started sticking to the underside of the bottom flap.

Hi eric & rob,

a double wall to fix this issue

The problem was a thick coating of soft urethane.

IMO the double-wall is the only solution to this problem. And I think that this will be an on-going problem for this industry.

The amount of coating is applied by the fabric mfr and not the gear mfr. That means that the gear mfr does not/cannot control this element in the mfg process.

Just a thought or two of mine . . .

JerryBaumchen

PS) Sends "chills down my spine." As it should.

Appreciate the info guys,
waiting for a response from pdf, unfortunately my mate is still without a rig as I am not prepared to sign this one off. I have heard of packers using talc for there own rigs, but i'm honestly not sure if this would solve the problem and it would still leave doubt in my mind. I looked at the sb regarding the javs and does anyone know what sunpath did to resolve this problem, can anyone recommend a safe type of solvent or cleaner that I may be able to use?

Mat

I was the one who discovered the issue with the Javelin, in fact on javelin was more unsafe because the F 111 fabrics from the Pilot chute was stucked with the bottom flap because urethane coating, so the PC could not launch..the solution was double wall for those red cordura rigs, in your case at least; the reserve PC will launch but if for instance your toggles stay stucked on the pack tray, it could be unsafe....

Too true Eric,
that is my main concern regarding this problem, I have no doubt that the pilot chute and freebag will operate as per normal but it's the lines under the risers and bag that I am most concerned about. Regarding the weather it has been a long wet hot and humid summer here, very similar conditions to ile de la Reunion as there is only one degree difference in lattitude.