hajnalka

Swollen fingers from packing

I was a full-time rigger for 10 years, and I've spent many days packing tandem, student and sport mains. I thought I was pretty tough ...

I just spent a weekend packing tandem mains (Strongs) all day for three days. My body feels fine, but now -- 3 days later --- my fingers are still swollen and puffy.

The pain is minor but I can't make a fist, and it's interfering with my job.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what did you do?

I appreciate all and any advice on dealing with my swollen fingers - how to prevent it, or how to make them better.

Thanks in advance,

H

I get that problem using wrenches if I am working on real tough high torque connections. I think what happens is that you break blood vessels in fingers and they swell. A plastic coffe can with ice cubes/water is best thing for all swelling injuries. For prevention it would help to use a powertool on loop. My two cents.

Both:

Pull-up cord to tie 3-rings together and sometimes - I hate to admit it - to pull that last bungee up for the final line stow.

I use a closing tool to close the rig. The rigs are brand-new Strongs with 366's, and they are easy to close. I believe it's the bungee line stows that are killing my hands. I'm NOT good at getting the canopy into the bag, and so the bungees are miles away from the grommets by the time I get there.

I'm hoping that I toughen up with time - any/all advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
H

Ibuprofen before you even start packing for the weekend! always always always!! I realized I had a significantly larger amount of swelling on days I didnt take ibuprofen in the morning. Also found that neosporin relieved a little pain after the fact, as well as the ice that was mentioned above. Good luck healing! :)

I believe it's the bungee line stows that are killing my hands. I'm NOT good at getting the canopy into the bag, and so the bungees are miles away from the grommets by the time I get there.

That was my problem too. There is nothing wrong with cheating it and using the pull up cord on the stows you cant get through. Also, it sounds completely wrong, but trust me it works: If you get your hand through the rubberband to pull the lines through, instead of just a couple fingers, its actually a lot less damaging on your hands... Then all the pressure of the rubberband is on the tops of your hands instead of on the delicate skin of your fingers.

I hate to admit it - to pull that last bungee up for the final line stow.

I don't speak for SE but as a rigger and experienced DH packer. The ALS locking bungees should be tight enough to neccesitate the use of a pullup. If you can easily pull the bungee through the grommet and stow the lines then the bungee is too long.

I rarely see them short enough and in my experience if one is packing more than a few DHs, it is easier and faster to use the pullup to get the bungees through the grommet and over the last three stows.

If the bungees are not short enough they do not keep the ALS flap in place as the bag is lifted from the container. This is an important step in the staging sequence so I'll encourage DH packers to make sure the bungee stows are as tight as regular line stows.

As for aching and swollen hands, they come with the job. [:/] The hurt goes away soon enough but you'll notice you deveop a bit larger, or 'swollen', hands - stronger hands - as a regular DH packer.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Please rest assured:

At the place where I was packing, the bungees were tight as could be; if they were subpar, they were replaced.

We also replaced closing loops on a regular basis. In general, we looked over the gear and either fixed or reported anything out of the ordinary. Stellar gear maintenance at this place!

Thanks for the information -- my fingers are still swollen, 4 days out. I've got some new techniques to try, and will def. have ice and ibuprofen on hand in the future.

Many thanks,

H

My hands got really sore at the start of this season due to being off winter, didn't take long for the conditioning to kick in. They'll toughen up in no time.

This is what I'm hoping. I did a bunch of yard work today and my hands seem better than they did after 2 days of rest.

Guess I gotta stay tough ...;)

I hate to admit it - to pull that last bungee up for the final line stow.

I don't speak for SE but as a rigger and experienced DH packer. The ALS locking bungees should be tight enough to neccesitate the use of a pullup. If you can easily pull the bungee through the grommet and stow the lines then the bungee is too long.

Agreed!

Rob Warner
Strong Tandem Examiner
FAA Master Rigger

This doesn't make sense to me.

I think it's a matter of packing technique - which I admittedly lack.

Where i was packing, the bungees were definitely tight, and the right length. The other (experienced) packers had no trouble making the line stows, without using a pullup cord or anything else.

Right now I feel no shame in using a pullup cord for the last few stows, but I don't think it's ideal, even when the bungees are within spec. It puts more wear and strain on the system = bungee, dbag, and lines. I'm working toward the point where I won't need that pullup cord any more.

Best,
H

Corn Huskers Lotion is the answer
Nylon is hydroscopic and as such sucks the moisture out of your hands like corn husks do.
All well equipped lofts should have a bottle or two on hand.
CORN HUSKERS LOTION
And I don’t even get a commission.
John:ph34r:

... but will it take down the swelling? If so I'm there, but I've got to tell you I'm moisturized as all hell with products unto infinity. My skin is great.

Fingers are STILL swollen, all these days later, Unbelievable!

If they are swollen then something was "spilled" in them. Things spill when they are broken or injured. You probably have minor (microscopic) tears in finger muscles (from those bungees like you said) and it takes time to heal. Ibuprofen will help the situation in two ways:
1. it is a (mild) painkiller
2. it will reduce/slow down inflammation (which is present just about every time a trauma is present)
Your fingers will still be injured though and it will not reduce a chance of injuring them further with packing, but it will relieve the symptoms a bit (a lot).

IIRC ice and light exercise is advised for such injuries (if damage is not severe - just uncomfortable feeling).

Developing "swollen" (permanently) fingers is just a consequence of too much minor muscle injuries. Body will apply more muscle mass to the injured part to prevent or reduce further injuries. Just like with body builders.

I have no idea how moisturiser would help in this situation... except maybe for that strap on a and dildo :)

EDIT: Swelling can go away only after enough blood passed through it to "wash it away". Applying ice will speed up blood flow, massage will speed up blood flow, any exercise will speed up blood flow. Ice usually does the trick.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

In my decade+ of packing I have found ibuprofen is a god-send. I also will put some tape around my wrists (not tight, just supportive) on the days I know I will be going full-out. I find this really helps at the end of the day. Preventative medicine so to speak. But no matter what, there are days when the hands swell. I can wake up in the middle of the night with the claw! Packing puts a lot of strain on your hands and wrists and just like a marathon runner, your muscles will ache.
So stretch! Seriously. It helps. Stretch your hands and arms before you start. Use ice on the busy busy busy days, or the cold water dip as previously mentioned. It also helps to get the blood flowing again.
Hands are delicate, and there isn't too much you can do to completely avoid the swelling.
My two cents.

You are getting some good advice on dealing with the immediate issue. However, this is just giving you a band aide when you have cancer. Yes, you need the bandaide to treat cancer symptoms, but what is really needed is something to rid you of the cancer.

I have limited use of my hands and figured I could never pack more than the 2 pack jobs I did in AFF. Then I met a guy at a DZ a couple of weeks ago and he showed me some tools he made to make packing easier. I asked to see the tools and he was not a pushy salesman or anything. I could actually pack with the tools without have MAJOR hand problems, so I bought his used personal tools on the spot. Packed the next weekend with the tools and it was like night and day. His tools can be found at:

http://stowlikeapro.com/

I believe that every packer should use these, or similar, tools. I went from being a guy who was always stouter than most to being disabled in a every short time. I know it may not be cool or sexy to use special tools for packing, but if it keeps you packing then really gives a flying fuck?

One thing you need to think about is that genetically you will likely face serious issues if you keep packing the way you are now. Not everyone can pack and if you are having the problems you mention then you need to think long and hard about your future at packing. You could very well fuck yourself and wind up with very limited use of your hands for the rest of your life. Packing smarter (by using aids) will let you pack longer before you become unable to pack. You could very well find that with aids you can pack until you decide to stop, as opposed to your body telling you that you are fixing to stop packing right fucking now, regardless of how you feel about it.

Good luck whatever you decide to do!

Skunk
Better a corncob up your ass than laying in a ditch with a broken back.