NovaTTT

Security Safety Chute 150 Manual

One of the scariest things (about old gear) is riggers packing gear they do not understand. I recently had a Security 150 "table total" malfunction!
It had two different closing loops. One loop was a factory original and it worked fine.
The second closing loop was a copy of a Security 350 loop made of Cypres cord and it jammed because the knot was in the middle of the container, mixed in with all the grommets. The problem was that the last rigger did not know enough about Security closing loops to keep the knot on the spring side of the container.
"If you don't understand something, copy it exactly."

No, you are not brain-locking. At least three different types of closing loops were installed in Security Safety-Chutes.
The Safety-Chute 250 came from the factory with double-ended loops made of gutted nylon 550 cord (300 pound minimum breaking strength). They were similar to the white loops installed in most tandem drogue risers.
The Safety-Chute 350 changed material and vastly simplified the construction method. Start with type 1 nylon suspension line (100 pound) and tie it into a loop 1 1/8 maybe 1 1/4 inches long. Leave the tails on and use them as pull-up cords to pull the loop through to the spring side. Once the spring and s-hooks are securely attached to the closing loops, you may cut off the excess tails. It is important that the knots end up on the spring side of the container.
Most riggers now use Cypres cord (300 pound) to make replacement closing loops for Security Safety-Chutes.

riggerrob

Most riggers now use Cypres cord (300 pound) to make replacement closing loops for Security Safety-Chutes.

Most riggers younger than us probably don't know that closing loops can be made from anything other than cypres cord.:S And don't have any gutted 550 laying around.:P And even I don't have type I around. Hmmm, actually I do somewhere but haven't seen it in 15 years.

BTW how did you "educate" these riggers? Death rigs deserve dropping dime to regulatory the agency.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hi Rob,

The Safety-Chute 250 came from the factory with double-ended loops made of gutted nylon 550 cord

When the Security SafetyChute came out, it was in two versions. The 150 had a 26 ft Lo-Po in block construction form. The 250 had a 26 ft Lo-Po in bias construction form. Neither version had any form of diaper on the canopies.

The closing loops were Type 1 cording sewn to form the double looped end.

Jerry Baumchen

Hi NV1,

What makes the difference if you build a canopy with bias or block construction?

A block constructed canopy is not as strong as a bias constructed canopy.

In this case, the 150 ( block constructed ) was TSO'd in the Low Speed category and the 250 ( bias constructed ) was TSO'd in the standard category.

Jerry Baumchen

NV1

What makes the difference if you build a canopy with bias or block construction?
Are there any benefits?

Structurally, bias cut canopies are stronger because fabrics threads carry some loads diagonally away from line attachment points in addition to the horizontal reinforcement tapes (skirt) and vertical reinforcement tapes along the radial seams.
Bias construction is the equivalent of the diagonal reinforcement tapes sewn onto the steering lines of Smart reserves ..... or the extra ribs in cross-braced canopies.