TribalTalon

just a mini soap box rant.

guys, if you want to tell somebody that maybe a decision that they made was very stupid and dangerous or something, dont just sit there and laugh at them and call them a dumbass repeatedly, as somebody did to me this weekend. I will refrain from naming names as i USED to respect the guy. So guys, please think of more mature and intelligent ways to get a point across, because skydivers that act like this only serve to alienate themselves from fledging jumpers. I'm sure this thread will get flamed like a match next to a open gas tank, but meh. I quite frankly do not give a fuck anymore.

> I quite frankly do not give a fuck anymore

Sounds like you have found the reason the person did that...

I disagree. When someone gets juvenile like the person did towards TribalTalon, one stops giving a fuck about feedback from that particular person, not overall. That is an important distinction...

Bummer, sorry you went through that, Tribal. [:/]

I'm pretty fortunate that everyone better'n me (And that would be most everyone :P) out at my DZ has been courteous & professional enough to publicly praise, and privately constructively criticize. Unless we're joking around...that happens all the time, but we all know who's up for the ribbing and who's not...:P;) Hopefully this guy you're talking about wasn't thinking that it was good ole' fashioned teasing if it was that bad. I do know, Tribal, that to some people on the outside the crap a couple of my coaches and I fling back and forth might be misconstrued as getting on each other, but we're all laughing in the end...it'd be no fun when one person isn't laughing...[:/]

I'd let him know real calmly the next time you see him that you respect his opinion, but if he could correct in a more private setting, you'd appreciate it next time.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Chill dude. If the guy is laughing whilst calling you a dumbass then you're not that much of a dumbass. Laugh with him after a 'dammit! How could I fuck that up!?!?' and then ask him for some advice on how not to be a dumbass again. Self-deprecation is a virtue sometimes - whenever you've done something dumb is one of them.

Even if the guy is an a-hole, he might have some important knowledge to pass onto you that could save your life.

Yours in agave,
:P
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Hi TT

Like any group Your dealing with some folks with big ego's (small dicks) and alpha males etc.>:(

This won't be the last time unless you find the right DZ. The asshats can't do their thing at these DZ's so they move on to a DZ where they can be respected for who they think they are, or want to be.

R.I.P.

...i have absolutely no problems with sitting down and talking with the person about it

I only wish that were true. Did you ever stop to think that maybe why people have started to treat you like that is because you won't stop and listen to more experienced skydivers?

I have first hand experience in trying to talk to you about safety issues in skydiving (including something you did that put me at risk). And you refused to listen (along with many times when other skydivers with way more experience than me have tried to civilly talk to you about issues.) You always imply or flat out state that "you know better." No offense, but you really need to stop and listen to those who are trying to help you. We don't want to see you get hurt or even worse, hurt someone else. And right now, more people than you imagine see you as an incident waiting to happen.

I don't agree with yelling and insults, but I think it's gotten to a point where other jumpers just don't think you'll sit up and take notice without yelling and insults being involved, so please start respecting what other experienced skydivers have to say and think before you act (and bounce ideas off more experienced skydivers). Trying things that are new to you without understanding the risks and potential consequences can be deadly in this sport. If you start showing respect and showing you really are heads-up, you'll be surprised at how less likely someone is going to yell and call names.

Blue skies,
Sherri

I second that. I do not know if you are referring to me but if you are, then I am sorry that you feel that way. I have told you to your face that your decisions are not only rediculous, but you put your life and the life of others in danger when you jump. You want to skydive, then learn the sport as we are all doing and follow the rules as we are all doing. Granted mistakes will be made, injuries will happen, but if you just take your time and start to listen, you just might be ok.

Stop posting on here looking for tears. Tell the stories like they are. You intentionally did a cut-a-way at 1500 feet with only 112 jumps and you were proud. You have taken this sport to a level that would make most people run yet you attempt to find pride and confidence from others. FOLLOW THE RULES. THEY WERE PUT THERE BY MORE ADVANCED SKYDIVERS AND THEY ARE THERE FOR US TO LEARN FROM.

If an entire DZ is trying to help you by telling you to calm down, listen to them. I am a few shy of 600 and every day I ask the old timers for advice to help me. When I have 6000 I will still do it because from what I understand, you can never stop learning. You however, never started. You have made your own rules and as they say, you dug your own grave, and now it is time for you to deal with the shit you caused.
Sincerely,

FlyingArab
www.flyingarab.com

So guys, please think of more mature and intelligent ways to get a point across, because skydivers that act like this only serve to alienate themselves from fledging jumpers.

Knowing the folks that jump at your DZ, I'm sure that this was said to you since you have 100% refused to take any of the tactful advice that you are on a straight and narrow path to a spectacular divot death. You've even refused the help that has been given to you for coaching by the experienced folks there, since it didn't agree with what you thought it should be.

When I had 100 jumps I thought I had it figured out, I was wrong.

Now that I've got 1000 more then that, I feel like I'm just now really starting to learn and I'm sure in another 1000 I'll feel like a newbie all over again for it seems that every time I reach a milestone, I realize how much more I have to learn.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I know about a lot of folks I know out there really trying hard to tactfully pull this kid in from certain death. I know that he doesn't listen. I know this from him asking me questions, the same questions he asked those others, they told him answers he didn't like so he went looking for someone else to ask. He asked me and I told him answers he didn't like, now he doesn't even ask anymore, he doesn't ask anyone around him that has experienced.

The amount of skill and talent at his DZ is very high, and he's made sure everyone there knows he won't listen to their advice and he's a dangerous jumper.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You intentionally did a cut-a-way at 1500 feet with only 112 jumps and you were proud.

with or without a tertiary reserve? if the later......that was a pretty stupid, dumbass thing to do....

Directed at no one:
I say leave the kid alone... he apparently has been told what he is doing is crazy and is risking his life and yadda yadda ... and he continues to jump... YES of course you should try to prevent him from making stupid or risky decisions... but ultimately it is HIS life... and if you choose not to jump with him, then that is your personal choice... I've never jumped with him and I've never met him... who cares? Lets drop the crap ... I'm sure someone out there is lecturing him enough ... as someone should...

The problem is that it potentially isn't just him he affects. The potential to injure others certainly exists.

I, for one, would like to be no part of that equation, so if I see someone acting in a dangerous manner at my DZ you can be damn sure I'm going to say something about it.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

guys, if you want to tell somebody that maybe a decision that they made was very stupid and dangerous or something, dont just sit there and laugh at them and call them a dumbass repeatedly, as somebody did to me this weekend. I will refrain from naming names as i USED to respect the guy. So guys, please think of more mature and intelligent ways to get a point across, because skydivers that act like this only serve to alienate themselves from fledging jumpers. I'm sure this thread will get flamed like a match next to a open gas tank, but meh. I quite frankly do not give a fuck anymore.

Laughing and 'dumbass' comments are the preferred debrief techniques of CRWDogs.

Smile, brother.

Michael

I

dude - seems like you have some issues here.......... after your post in the BASE forum and now this one I feel i may be able to offer advice.

When I was skydiving from about 100 jumps to 350 jumps I was a fucking twat! (some will probably say I still am! hehehe)

I thought i knew everything and i wanted to rewrite my own rules and ignore all the rules and regulations that are there not only to protect you but protect the people around you.

I regularly pulled low - in fact I regularly turned off my cypress because of how low i was pulling, this accumulating in approx 10+ groundings in a year and the last being a 3 month ban and possible life ban after a cypress fire when i had not turned off my cypress. I thought I knew what the fuck I was doing, I thought i had it all under control. I thought everyone that was giving me shit did not know what they were talking about - hell i thought i was being treated harshly when I almost got banned for life...........

I did a further 150+ skydives after this 3 month ban and I also started BASE jumping..... I look back at my period of dangerous skydiving and I thank the lord that I was not DEAD! - its easy with hindsight to look back and say dont do what i did - but please ensure you allow yourself the position to look back...... death is pretty fucking final and there is no second chance.........

You did an intentional cut-away? why? If you want to do this then arrange it with the CCI, get clearance and a tertiary reserve, you said on the BASE board that you pull low - why do you want to do that? you have a complex dual parachute deployment system on you back that although is packed correctly and used correctly can still MALFUNCTION.............. pull heights are not there to spoil your fun, they are not there to be over cautious, they are there to help you not kill yourself......... I would now NEVER dream of pulling below 3k on a skydiving rig.............. its not worth it.... really its not worth it........

I look back and question why I used to do these things (low pulls, low hooks) - i have still not come up with any reason, all I know is that if my time comes I dont want people to say "he deserved that" or "well it was only a question of time" - i would prefer them to say "shit happens sometimes".

There is no point in endangering your life with out point (and yes an intentional cut-away is endangering your life without a reason - I would not fucking do it and I jump a single parachute system!!)

I am at the moment sat at home after busting my leg and ankle up...... I will not jump for a year and have another surgery to look forward to that may or may not mean I am allowed to start trying to put weight on it and try and walk after 4 fuckin months! - why did this happen? I left myself no room for error...... I fucked up and I have myself to blame........ I have a year not jumping all because of it - is being out for a year worth that little bit extra I took, no its not...... dont put yourself at unnecessary risk....... it does not go right all the time.......... and only takes 1 time to ruin a beautiful day.........

Peace out

Just to clear the air for all of you who don't know him, yes he did an intentional cutaway without a third parachute at 1500'.

Our dropzone is pretty laid back and people are truly friendly. It is very rare (but not impossible) to find big egos. Unfortunately here it seems like the biggest one comes from someone who thinks he is bulletproof, and thinks has nothing more to learn at 112 jumps. :|

I would almost say that everyone at the dz has tried to reach him at a friendly level, from the people with the same amount of jumps all the way up to very experience jumpers with little to no positive results, then it progressed into being more stern and eventually into just hoping that he doesn't injure someone else.:(

Donnie, please stop for a second and consider that the skydivers are a family and the fact that you feel that everyone is against you might be a reflection on your attitude. Please consider that all these rules and all the persons that are trying to get to you are not doing it with the intent to alienate you or to stop you from having fun, but to keep you alive and keep the dropzone a safe place and a fun place for all.

Blue Skies.

Just to clear the air for all of you who don't know him, yes he did an intentional cutaway without a third parachute at 1500'.

TT - dude, for your own good, listen to flypunk and everyone else. What you did was very, very, very dangerous. Take a step back and a few deep breaths and talk to these folks. They are trying to keep you alive. Remember - if you love the sport you won't do anything stupid to damage it. Going into the ground after an intentional cutaway won't only hurt yourself - it will hurt your DZ and the sport too.

:|
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!