phoenixlpr

AA with integrated mp3 player from alti-2

Music under canopy bothers me. We are seeing an increase in canopy collisions. Canopies are getting faster, planes are getting bigger, and we are removing our ability to see and hear by adding newer helmets.

+1

Its kinda like a guy rocking out while driving a car at 200 mphs around a track. Something is going to get smashed.
Dom

+1

Its kinda like a guy rocking out while driving a car at 200 mphs around a track. Something is going to get smashed.

That comparision doesn't work. Many professional drivers have mp3 playlists connected to their communications systems. One of the semi-pro forums has several threads dedicated to discussing the types of music that helps the drivers focus better.
The discussion is as lively as it is here, ranging from "You should ONLY listen to classical" to "Heavy metal with pounding drums keeps up my intensity."

That comparision doesn't work. Many professional drivers have mp3 playlists connected to their communications systems. One of the semi-pro forums has several threads dedicated to discussing the types of music that helps the drivers focus better.
The discussion is as lively as it is here, ranging from "You should ONLY listen to classical" to "Heavy metal with pounding drums keeps up my intensity."

And your comparison does not really work here either.

1. You are talking pro and semi pro, not average Joe. This is not if Airspeed could pull it off, but the average jumper.

2. On a track there is a set pattern for the whole event. the same cannot be said for skydiving.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

And your comparison does not really work here either.

1. You are talking pro and semi pro, not average Joe. This is not if Airspeed could pull it off, but the average jumper.

2. On a track there is a set pattern for the whole event. the same cannot be said for skydiving.

Your reading comprehension could stand for improvement. I did not make a comparison nor an analogy.

Your reading comprehension could stand for improvement. I did not make a comparison nor an analogy

Got it... You are unable to back your statement so you go personal. I would expect better from a mod
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Your reading comprehension could stand for improvement. I did not make a comparison nor an analogy

Got it... You are unable to back your statement so you go personal. I would expect better from a mod

You're correct. I shouldn't have suggested your comprehension needs improvement. Since I can't edit my post and you've copied my statements, I retract my earlier statement and offer this:

Your post would be accurate, had I made any comparitive analogy in my post. However, I did not. Rather, I offered a statement to refute someone else' comparison between professional racecar drivers and skydivers.
Therefore, your statement that my "analogy" is incorrect, is incorrect.;)
Then again, I could say the sky was blue and you'd find reason to argue it.

No, that is just an unsubstantiated opinion you hold. But your first reaction and reply to anyone not 100% agreeing with you does always seem to be personal.

If you are incapable of discussing a TOPIC Where people are not going to agree with you (like the difference between pro and semi pro drivers on a track vs average jumpers) then maybe you should abstain rather than act out.

No, that is just an unsubstantiated opinion you hold. But your first reaction and reply to anyone not 100% agreeing with you does always seem to be personal.

If you are incapable of discussing a TOPIC Where people are not going to agree with you (like the difference between pro and semi pro drivers on a track vs average jumpers) then maybe you should abstain rather than act out.

guys, am i in SC and missed out on that fact!? :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

anyone know who stocks these? ETA: nevermind, Chutingstar has them

I've hit the major dealers and they don't have them listed.

this sounds like it would be the ideal product for me.
I could care less about the mp3 playthrough feature, I want to be able to wear ear-buds so I can hear the alarms.. my dytter beeps get lost in the noise at times (yeah, I'm getting old-er)

I wear different helmets too, so this would be easier
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

Andrew -- have you ever used the N3A with music? I'm curious if it continues the music while under canopy? Can you program it to stop playing music (or at least turn the volume down) when under canopy. It'd be nice if it were programmable (so that I'm not fumbling around while under canopy trying to turn the volume down, etc.).

Gotcha. Thanks for the quick response.

The volume is adjustable though, yes? Probably tricky (and unsafe) to attempt while under canopy.

I guess I see why you don't use the music aspect. I like the idea of music during the whole experience. I'll probably purchase and try it with music. If I feel it's unsafe, I'll just use 1 earbud and keep the other ear free -- or just use it without an MP3 player.

The volume of the voice alerts are adjustable on the N3A but not in flight.

To adjust the volume of your tunes you adjust the volume on your mp3 player as you normally would. So probably best to have an ipod shuffle with simple buttons you can use with gloves.

I'd check with your instructor first prior to wearing it on one of your jumps. Don't mean to burst your bubble, but some instructors might not allow you to wear a digital alti let alone an audio one as well

No worries for buying it now and using it later when your are ready and all though ;)

For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

People my age with music really irritate me.

"Welp, walking to 7-11, better put in my headphones."

"Welp, going snowboarding, better put in my headphones."

"Welp, JUMPING OUT OF AN AIRPLANE, better put in my headphones."

WHY is music necessary in ANY of these situations?! I love music at least as much as the next guy- I own and operate a recording studio and have two albums on iTunes- but I also see the value of listening to the world around me.

Next to vision, auditory cues are the BEST way for me to predict how my environment will change, and they prepare me for these changes. This is incredibly important in high-speed activities that require attention, focus, and vigilance.

It has been well-established (see the text document I attached with references to 23 academic papers) that increasing the amount of distracting auditory stimuli lengthens reaction time and lessens attention to detail in visual stimuli. Both of these are incredibly important in skydiving, as we all know.

By listening to music in freefall, and especially under canopy, you are putting yourself, AND EVERYONE ELSE IN THE AIR at risk.

wtf, whose idea was this????
Come, my friends! 'Tis not too late to seek out a newer world!

Absolutely. I'm pretty sure my DZ wouldn't allow it while I'm still under student status. I'm somewhat close though (20 jumps, passed my check dive...5 more to go!), so I may buy it now and hold onto it till later.

I'm still not sure whether I'll actually use the music aspect or just the audible altitude alerts. I like the fact that it's earplugs with spoken alerts. This'll definitely protect my ears more. Maybe I'll just use the music for the plane ride up. I wish I could program it to turn off while under canopy. Surprising that that's not the default, let alone an option.

It has been well-established (see the text document I attached with references to 23 academic papers) that increasing the amount of distracting auditory stimuli lengthens reaction time and lessens attention to detail in visual stimuli. Both of these are incredibly important in skydiving, as we all know.

There are an equal number (if not more) papers, studies, and stories from top athletes indicating exactly the opposite, too. One can present any side of any issue they want to.
Is it good for inexperienced people to be jumping with the auditory distraction of an MP3 player? nope. Aside from the audio, there is also the on-off, start-stop, volume to deal with, and the ever present issue of "I don't want to listen to this song right now" too, :P. None of which belong on a low-time skydiver's plate.

That said, one of my favorite moments was at Couch Freaks were a kid with 50 jumps and a GoPro on his helmet began lecturing me on the danger of an iPod on a solo wingsuit skydive.:D:D
Not to mention that the winds were too high for his 1.0 WL.
How EXACTLY is listening to music in freefall a risk for you, me, or anyone else?
BTW, I love music as much as the next guy too. I have 13 albums on iTunes and two Grammy awards. I'm also a field advocate for HIP. Not sure what that has to do with anything being discussed here.

Music is a distraction. Certainly no less than a camera, certainly more than a lot of things.
But there does come a time (for example, 3 minute wingsuit flights) where it can enhance the experience (and has demonstrably improved performance).