BMichaeli

Packing question

How do i pack my Icarus Omega to have it snivel less? I enjoy the very soft openings but it is just takes to long (around 1000ft). I don't roll the nose and i have been leaving the tail unrolled as well. Now I am all out of ideas. anything would help

Leave the packing alone. If the canopy is opening, and opening slow, that's exactly what you want.

You can speed up the openings by pulling the rear risers during the snivel. Wait for the canopy to get out of the bag, and begin to snivel. Then grab the rear risers, and give them a little tug, maybe two inches or so, and this will 'encourage' the slider to come down. You can experiment with how far or how hard to pull the risers, but start off slow and easy and work your way up from there.

Be sure that when you grab the rear risers, that you don't accidentally unstow a toggle. That would be bad. You will start to spin, but unstowing the other toggle will 'usually' stop the spin. If that doesn't work, cutting away will solve the problem.

How do i pack my Icarus Omega to have it snivel less? I enjoy the very soft openings but it is just takes to long (around 1000ft). I don't roll the nose and i have been leaving the tail unrolled as well. Now I am all out of ideas. anything would help

i ordered a smaller slider for both my safire2 and crossfire2 canopies exactly for that reason. smaller slider helps. i went one size smaller - got 139 sq ft canopy slider for my 149 safire2 and 129 for 139 crossfire2.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

my spectre 170 takes about 1200 feet to open.

Which is why I hesitate to get a Spectre, even though I've been considering it, for the soft openings to baby my middle-aged spine. I want to keep the option to pull around 2000 if (occasionally) need be, so a 1000 ft snivel doesn't work for me.

Still, 1200 seems a lot, even for a Spectre. To other regular Spectre-drivers: how long are your average snivels?

Thanks i'm gona try to pull on the rear risers next time i jump. i am able to tell about how long my snivels are because i have been waving off at 4000ft and under a functional canopy with slider collapsed and brakes unstowed at around 2500ft and i figure that that process takes me about 500ft. So i'll try pulling on the risers and let everyone know how it goes after i jump next

I believe that pulling the rears carefully as suggested is the easiest solution. I have a 150 H-moded Cobalt that can snivel forever if left packed for a week or more. Knowing how to control the canopy immediately after opening with rears also helps to stop any dive or turn and is a great skill to learn.
If you really want to slow the openings with consistency and don’t mind spending a little bit, have a rigger to copy the original slider and cut a small hole on its center. Progressively increase the diameter until you reach the perfect opening for you. Keep the original slider so you don’t lose resale value of the canopy. Have a rigger to assist you through the process of cutting and testing
Have fun!
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

pull silver instead:o it opens faster!

good question. my spectre 170 takes about 1200 feet to open. I dont like that long delay either. Im gonna try the rear risers too.

what measuring method are you using to come up with 1200ft ?

+1

1200 feet to open is a malfunction that happened to clear!
BASE 1384

try this when you're packing count 1,2,3 and pull it to the tail direction and do the same for the other 3 if you do this you're going to left the center cell open and its going to catch air faster making your openings faster than the normal ones

what measuring method are you using to come up with 1200ft ?

thats a very crude figure. I throw at 3200 to be in the saddle by 2000. Im reading it off of my alti2, no high dollar gadgets for me.

the spectre 170 is loaded about 1.1:1 and has 600+ jumps on it. opens fine every time (so far)

I do tuck the steering lines in between the B's and C's and I do roll the tail several times

What has always worked for me when people ask for a quicker opening is to pull the slider in front of the tail. I don't quarter it, but rather just grab it from underneath (in the centre) and pull it toward the tail of the parachute before I pull up the tail seam to wrap it.

Explain what you mean by tucking the steering lines between the B and C lines. I would like to know how you do this. It might be something I am interested in doing. Thanks.

bear with me on this Im not good at explaining things in text form...

once you have flaked all of your line groups and have flaked the tail,
you carefully take the steering line groups and place them in between the c&b groups by wraping the steering line material of the tail around the c&d groups
while making sure to keep everything straight (its not difficult in any way)

follow the steps for each side

quarter the slider, then I mate up my slider stows

then pull the center of the tail up to the lines and gently push the nose into the center.

roll the tail several times and cocoon like normal