drenaline

I fractured several bones, when can I jump again?

Hi bro's and sis's, have you ever fractured a bone?
the reason I ask if you have fractured a bone is because I did it on my last jump and I really need to know when I can go back to the air. So have any of you have experience with fractured vertebrae and coxis? and how much time watching skydiving videos before you could go out and jump?

The injury is 5 fractured vertebrae and 1 fractured coxis, I was lucky that I didn't need surgery but did got a cast from chest to pelvis.

If you want some details about the accident you can PM.

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

Whoa! That sucks! I have no idea how long something like that will take to heal but I'll send you some good vibes.

Just listen to what the doctors say and take it slow and easy. Enjoy the pain meds and postwhore a lot. It'll all be ok :)
Glad to hear you don't need surgery and it wasn't anything worse!

On average: 12 - 16 weeks for the vertebrae to heal. That's not the same as being able to jump. Each person has a different recovery time. Consider talking to your Doctor about taking 1,000 mg per day of calcium, and at least 400 IU of vitamin D each day. That "may" speed up the recovery process. As soon as possible, start stretching those back muscles. If one is available, use a jacuzzi twice a day after they remove the cast.

Hiya!

I talked to the doctor but I didn't liked his first 20 answers. He told me to sell my gear and change sport. [:/]

Yeah that happens. Most doctors don't really understand the dynamics of being a skydiver. It's a hard sport to describe to someone and make them able to understand it. Just listen to what he says for now and wait a few months and see how you feel. You'll know when you can jump again. Your body will tell you. Your back is not something to take lightly. Take care of it as best you can.

What happened?

One question, does your doctor skydive? If so, maybe you should think about listening to him. If not, find one that specializes in sports medicine to supervise your recovery and therapy.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

As soon as possible, start stretching those back muscles.

Can't stress this enough, even for people who haven't injured their back. Do it every day starting as soon as possible (ie as soon as the doc says you can) and then every morning for the rest of your life.

As for when you can jump again... I waited until I could run at least a few steps without pain before I got back in the air after back surgery. I've heard other people say the same thing - if you can run without pain you should be okay to jump.

Sorry to hear you're hurt... :( Hope the pain meds are strong and you heal fast and well.

sorry to hear about your injury,

five years ago I fractured two vertebre between my shoulderblades due to an explosive opening while wearing 15 lbs of weights. I kept on jumping (it was my job)........dont jump too soon, give yourself time to heal.....I am still having trouble with my back and I know its cause I didnt take time away from skydiving..... get fully healed and then come back. It will suck, but so does a lifetime of pain...

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

If not, find one that specializes in sports medicine to supervise your recovery and therapy.

Yes! I agree wholeheartedly.

and you CAN take that one seriously!
;)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

what everyone else said!!

I know a few people that have broken their coxis & are jumping now. they do have to be extra careful on landing.

another thought - once back start focusing on free flying - that way you don't have to arch;).

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Hey, at least you injured yourself in a much cooler way than just a simple bad landing on a tarmac or something.;)

hope you get better fast.

edited to add:
does your car insurance cover that? or is it an "uninsured flyer" payment on the car owner's insruance?

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

I talked to the doctor but I didn't liked his first 20 answers. He told me to sell my gear and change sport.

Change doctors.

Only you will know when you're ready to go back up and you can either accelerate or delay your recovery, by doing (or not doing) what you have to do to get better. Whether that means laying on your back for 6 weeks or going to physical therapy.

I think that a doctor who tells you to quit doesn't understand the sport and the passion that goes along with it. Try to find someone a little more empathetic and understanding of how much it means to you to get back up in the sky.

Healing Blue Vibes to you!

Teresa