ZigZagMarquis

Cleaning an OLD Singer industrial sewing machine

So I've got this old Singer 95-12 that I've been tinkering with trying to get working. According to the Singer Co., per its serial number, it was built in Elizabeth , NJ circa 1923.

I think I've gotten it to the point where it may be worth putting on a table and seeing if (how well) it will sew.

While doing research on the Internet on old Singer sewing machines, one thing I ran across was talk of being able to clean old, all metal, machines by submerging them in cleaning fluid (solvent ?). Does anyone around here have any experience with doing such a thing? What kind of cleaning fluid / solvent? Don't anyone suggest MEK because I'm not getting near that stuff and I'd guess it would take the paint off too!

I've attached some photos here for your viewing pleasure.

I also have a Singer 95-10 that sews just fine and is in somewhat similar condition, so part of me is leaning towards "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but thought I'd ask around here to see if anyone had any experience / input?

---- edit to add ----

If anyone knows where I can come by a presser foot lifting arm (p/n 52016) for an old Singer 95 series machine, please let me know. The one on the 95-12 I have is broken off, but fortunately, there's enough left to be work-able, just annoying. I suppose I could fabricate one, but haven't gotten that ambitious, yet.

Wow, I have one just about like yours but mine was made in Occupied Japan 1945.. The grease issue i used a water based sovent like used in automotive shops placed on a rag and a stiff brush. .. thought about carbrator cleaner/ or brake cleaner.... decided better less harsh material....working it in to the gears then slowly blowing it off with air a drop of wd40 and compressed air... moving the gears while cleaning it..you will use a lot of rags... once all the old stuff is gone i then use a small amount of bearing grease..... or sewing machine oil in those really fast moving areas...

you may have to make that part.,... or have a friend in a shop do it....

enjoy the machine and take care of it....
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

Hi Zig,

Ken has given you some good advice.

I would blow it out everywhere with a good air compressor, then shoot WD40 just about everywhere, then use the air compressor again, & then start greasing & oiling. Make sure you use a good sewing machine oil.

For parts: My first contact is Mark Lancaster (masterrigger1 or MEL here ). Contact him at:

[email protected]

1-864-429-8428

I think Mark is more knowledgeable about sewing machines than anyone else that I can think of.

Send him the photos & your thoughts via email or call him first, your choice.

Good luck with her,

JerryBaumchen

The grease issue i used a water based solvent like used in automotive shops placed on a rag and a stiff brush.

When you say that, is there any particular brand y'all recommend? Or do you just mean soap & water?

... thought about carburetor cleaner/ or brake cleaner.... decided better less harsh material....

Yeah, I'm kinda thinking not using a really harsh solvent would be best. I'm sure there's packings of some sort in the bearings in some of the parts and lord knows what they used in the 1920s and what a modern solvent would do to them. :S

you may have to make that part.,... or have a friend in a shop do it....

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll eventually have to make that part unless I get lucky and run across someone that has one or someone that has a similar machine for sale cheap that's too far gone to be more than parts.

I would blow it out everywhere with a good air compressor, then shoot WD40 just about everywhere, then use the air compressor again...

Great... you're not helping me avoiding going out and buying an air compressor cause "I just gotta have one..." :D

Anyway, I was hoping Mel would see / reply to this thread too. If not, maybe I'll shoot him a PM in a few days.

Thanks!

The grease issue i used a water based solvent like used in automotive shops placed on a rag and a stiff brush.

When you say that, is there any particular brand y'all recommend? Or do you just mean soap & water?

Any commercial degreaser will do.

Superior/Northwoods makes stuff that works well and is pretty safe.

Otherwise Simple Green is another fairly safe alternative.

Both are non-toxic and biodegradable.
And they work pretty good too.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I thought Simple Green was corrosive to aluminum? More of a King Air issue than Singer issue perhaps. Whatever.

Sort of.

Simple Green FAQ about aluminum.

Standard Simple Green can be used but needs to be rinsed well. They also make a special "Airplane" SG that is safe.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

First, Thanks for the Kudos you guys.

Zig,
Jerry is right on with regards to WD40 and an air compressor.

If you do not have one, simply saturate the machine overnight with the WD 40.

Next buy yourself a blowgun that will fit onto the standard airchuck that is on airhoses for inflting tires.

Then drive down to a local gas station that has a "for pay" machine in the parking lot.

Use plenty of machine oil afterwards.

As for as the parts, I have plenty here. Just let me know what you exactly need. I do have a presser lifter arm in stock.

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Hi Zig,

Now you have more answers than you had questions. :o

Ain't the internet a great place? And I mean this seriously.

Have fun with her & keep us posted on your progress.

JerryBaumchen

Jerry,

Ain't that the truth. Its kind-of like asking 2 pilots thier thought on a aviation topic... you usually walk away from the conversation with about 5 opinions from the 2 of them. :S:D

Anyway, I'm thinking I may go more for a "surface" type cleaning on the 95-12 I have rather than a "deep cleaning" as it seems to be no worse off than the 95-10 I have that sews just fine; ya know, that old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" thing.

I have been pondering picking up another Singer 95-10 or 96 that I've seen up for auction so I have something to do more of the "deep cleaning" experiment on... and an excuse to buy an air compresser too... :S:P We'll see. In a little over 2 years, I've gone from owning zero sewing machines to 5... 2 and 1/2 of them actually work... :S:D:D:D

I bought an old Singer 211G compound feed machine from a guy who worked in a factory. The thing was totally thick with years old grease and lint. After striping it down I removed the grease with "Gunk" engine de-greaser bought at the local garage. Applied with paint brush and placed all the dismantled parts in a jar of the solution. Toothbrush for the small areas and then hot soapy water. Dried it thoroughly using a fan. Oiled it and put it back together with some new parts and it now runs like a dream.

I have all Singer machines... 7-33, 31-15 and 211G-165. When I got them, they all needed a good cleaning. I got a large metal tub and set the head in the tub. I poured kerosene over the machine, slowly. Waited a few minutes and carefully poured more kerosene over it. I let it set for a couple hours then, using a parts cleaning brush (like mechanics use for cleaning parts) liberally brushing the machine with kerosene, inside and out. When I felt the machine was clean, I rinsed the it with more kerosene. The whole process took about 2-gallons. I let the machine drip-dry on a board. I wiped-down the outside of the machine and daubed-up excess on the inside with clean rags and began oiling the moving parts without moving them. After feeling the oil had penetrated the moving parts, I slowly turned the wheel by hand while oiling moving parts. This method takes a little time but, the kerosene being a lubricant, will allow the machine oil to reach the moving parts better and avoids un-necessary wear.
I don't like using carb cleaners or strong solvents. They tend to dry-out parts and seems to take longer for the machine oil to get into the moving parts. Also, some solvents can destroy the finish on the machine.
Good luck!

Chuck

Mel,

I'm looking for a presser foot lifting arm (p/n 52016) for an old Singer 95 series machine.

I'll PM you too and can point you towards the parts list that has a 1 for 1 picture of the part I need if need be.

Thanks.

Go to Singer's 'page'. They list, probably every machine and part they've ever made. They are real fast on delivery times, also.

Chuck

I havnt done this to a sewing machine but on similar mechanical devices with old grease/lube mineral spirits or regular home depot paint thinner works good. It takes off the grease fast and wont harm most paints. Some A&Ps I know use large pressurized sprayers to clean greasy parts. Also the same solvent is great for bearings etc. Note that in all cases you clean the parts clean and then re-lube as you are washing the lube away. I have an old Consew I bought from work that has been used forever and will sew through anything. Somebody mentioned an aircompressor , you can also get an suction sprayer and spray the solvent also. Harbor freight has all that stuff real cheap including reusable spray cans you fill with your own solvents.
Good Luck ! Also you can get a small parts washer and fill with your solvent of choice, it has a pump that recirculates the fluid. Sounds exotic but readily availible at H.F. for cheap, this will be less messy than spraying.

Well... I managed to get a bobbin case, presser foot and presser foot set-screw via eBay for the Singer 95-12 I've been tinkering with and talking about here. The presser foot and set-screw showed up in the mail yesterday and today, I couldn't resist swapping the 95-10 out on its table for the 95-12, putting a few drops of oil at the appropriate places and give her a try.

Seems like there still may be some life left in the old girl...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPiCMvmitPY

... ;)

I think a cleaning is still probably called for, but at least its good to know it looks to be worth the while.