teason

Dummest thing you've ever done at the DZ?

With all the talk about the wizened elders learning through their mistakes, what good stories are out there?
Here's mine.
I think the dumbest thing I did was doing a Mr. Bill with my buddy Warren. We got this crazy Idea that it would be cool to repel of someone under a parchute. On the first attempt we used 20 feet of 5/8 nylon rope with not tied every foot or so.
The opening was a typical Mr. Bill opening; the exit was good, the Man O' War opened nice, the riser slapped me square in the face. Dazed, I began to climb down the rope which was blowing straight backwards not straight down like I'd figured.
And I as the nylon rop burned through my leather batting gloves, I paused long enough to realize that we obviously needed a thicker rope. DUH.

Battered, bruised and with a fat lip we tried again.
This time we had a big thick rope, doubled on itself a couple of times and when I slide down after losing my grip I remembered we also had a Wooden 2x4 at the bottom.B| At least I made it, watching Warren to spiral 20 feet above me, or at least I have a vague recollection of that. I hung on till 4000' cause I had taken another riser blow to the face and was somewhat rattled.

The rope came in handy that weekend when late one night, after much libations we thought it would be cool to attach it to my harness and fly me and my Sabre 170 like a kite in 30+ knot winds.
God we were Dumb.:P
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Oh geez...............Lemme see, there was-

-Downwind barrel swooping
-Boomerang throwing
-Skinny dipping on private property
-Swimming in the lake at 3am, drunk
-Wake boarding behind a car on grass
-Strip football (actually pretty cool)
-Indoor Frisbee hockey
-Tote racing
-Drag racing cars on the runway
-Putting out smudge pots with urine
-Climbing around the outside of a Jeep while moving
-Putting 17 miles on said Jeep, all in the DZs grass

Etc, etc, etc......:)

Hmm the dummest think i did at my DZ.
Well there are some i guess, but the dummest was to try to teach skydivers with more jumps than i have. We have somewhat too proud people (too much EGO) on our DZ to listen to skydivers with less jumps than they have.
Now i have more jumps than they do or even, and i still don't open my mouth unless they ask me to. Learned my lesson :)
"George just lucky i guess!"

Dumbest thing I did was date a guy at my home DZ...:S

Been there done that... [:/][:/][:/]

But aside from that... :D... car surfing on the way back from the pub. Great fun, but not recommended!

Climbing stuff, dancing on the roof and sleeping in the gravel it also come to mind... :P

But hey - it's all good! ;)

Vicki

engaging in a game of king of the mountain on clay mountains, followed by a mud fight, followed by a swim in the pond....that was not meant for swimming. all of this taking place at 2am...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

Dumbest thing I did was date a guy at my home DZ...:S

Yep, I could go on about that... but I'm not even gonna go there! :P:S

The dumbest thing I ever did at the dz was to ride on the handlebars of my bicycle after having a few too many drinks. The person pedaling the bike had also had a few too many... And, well basically I ended up jumping off the thing while in motion and landing on my knee and elbow on the pavement. Luckily I didn't break anything, but I got some good roadrash and still have the scars to prove it. ;):)

i would say it would have to be my downsizing.... that's the only thingi would have to say was dumb... everything else is either just funny or stupidly boring....

I remembered another one.
Partaking in the fun of blowing up a shoe with dynamite at 2:00am while scotty carbone was trying to sleep. Lets just say he was NOT happy, and he's one guy you don't wanna make mad. :D

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

The dumbest thing I've ever done at the DZ is not take experienced skydivers up on offers to jump with them because I was intimidated and I didn't want to mess up their jump. I finally figured out that thet know I suck and just enjoy trying to help. My insecurity cost me a lot of good help and immeasurable fun.
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

Hmm I've done some stupid shit on a DZ. The one that comes to mind the most is Creeper Slingshot.

Take about a dozen Shiner Bocks (drank in about 2hrs)
1 huge bungie cord
2 pickup trucks
1 cement tennis court
1 creeper
1 helmet with glow sticks
8 freefliers with cameras
untold amount of aggies out to killa UT boy

and

1 stupid skydiver

You stretch the bungie cord between the trucks (one on each side of the tennis court) put the helmet on with glow sticks. Sit on the creeper like your on a rocket for take off. Have the aggies pull the bungie cord tight and place it around your waist. You yeehaw loudly so the freeliers with cams can switch to the on position. Then you proceed to get thrown off of the creeper about 5-6 yards, trying to out run the massive bungie cord pushing you faster then you can run, landing on your shoulder and head. Braking your collar bone. Then get up, dust yourself off in extreme pain, assuring everyone your fine. Drink another Shiner Bock. Whisper to girlfriend who's amazed your able to walk, to get the chairs and get your truck because she's driving. Go straight to the hospital and get massive amounts of pain meds. Get grounded for 6 weeks while your mending. Then become a Freeflier!!

:ph34r::ph34r: I did this. After my time on a creeper I decided I was never going to fly belly down because I could never get back on a creeper without horrible thoughts. :)

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Anyone else amused that "dumbest" is misspelled in the subject title?:P

*WARNING*WARNING* THread hijack incoming!!

Dove baybay!! Where you been!? Good to see your smiling face around here.. :)
Ok carry on, back to the stupid skydiver tricks confessional.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

The one that comes to mind the most is Creeper Slingshot.

FINALLY!! I have hear countless versions of this story.:D:D I now know the real version straight from the horses mouth.:D:D Too funny Slap, too funny.B|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I told skydivexxl that he wouldn't really spray me with the fire extinguisher he was brandishing. He replied: 'Goddamit Vinny! If you don't get that creeper away from the golf cart, I'm going to spray you with this fire extinguisher and throw you into the wall headfirst!' Then he sprayed me with the fire extinguisher. I don't think he threw me into the wall that night, but I'm not sure because I drained a bottle of tequila with somebody.
:P
...er...maybe that was the second dumbest thing. The dumbest thing could have been when I headbutted a mountain once.
:P
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!