fcajump

Packing weights - lead/non-lead

Ok, I've tried:
- lead shot (works great, but I hate lead).
- BB's (works, but too light)
- sand (eventually leaks through container/sleeve/webbing
- old lead seals (nice reuse of material, but takes along time to get enough of them and it does not lay (flop) down on the lines as nicely as lead)

- I've heard of using washed steel bearings, but that they lead to rust/dust coming out of the webbing after a while.

Has anyone tried other packing weight fill materials?
How well has it worked for you?

Does anyone have a good (cheep) supplier for whatever shot is being used for reloads where lead is no longer legal for hunting?

Thanks,
JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

One of the cheapest online sources for shooting supplies has steel alloy shot at $192 plus shipping for 10lbs.

I've thought of moving from lead also but no good alternative. I've seen some folks use lengths of chain, deburred and degressed.

Most of my weights are made of cordura, not tubular webbing so dust leaking through isn't much of an issue with the coated fabic.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

and what about inserting the weight(s) in something like an old bicycle inner tube, and then in the cordura, tubular webbing or whatever you use ?

That would be a double recycling:)

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I'm sure it's not terribly cost effective, but your post got my wheels spinning. We've got a tungsten bucking bar here at the shop and it is surprisingly heavy for its size. A quick google for tungsten shot revealed $24 per pound :(

https://www.tungstensupershot.com/pages/product.asp?cat=6&code=TSS_SINK

I'm sure it would make a great packing weight or weights for weight pockets / belts, if it were less expensive.

-Tony
(253) 445-8790
Velocity Sports Equipment

Since I dive (SCUBA) & have lots of 2-3-4 pound soft weights, I also use them for skydiving. Works better than the individual 1 lb. weights. TSA comments on SCUBA and I let it go....

I'd really like it if the DZ's would allow us to rent weights at events. Maybe charge $3.00 per pound and give you back $2 when it's returned.
Dano

I'm sure it's not terribly cost effective, but your post got my wheels spinning. We've got a tungsten bucking bar here at the shop and it is surprisingly heavy for its size. A quick google for tungsten shot revealed $24 per pound :(

https://www.tungstensupershot.com/pages/product.asp?cat=6&code=TSS_SINK

I'm sure it would make a great packing weight or weights for weight pockets / belts, if it were less expensive.

Yea, like that :)

Hopefully someone has a cheep source...

JW

Try an old windshield washer fluid jug filled with gravel.
Cheap, easy, and doesn't leak.

Its a great idea, but it is not suitable for everything. I think you are looking for smaller packing weight for packing a reserve.

Correct... sorry... yes, I am thinking reserve canopy/line weights, not main rig weights.

For use while packing main's the sand jug is great. I also like free weights.

JW

If you're trying to reduce lead exposure, which is a good idea, it may still be possible to buy copper plated lead shot. Ask at your local gun shop. All the weight of lead without the lead dust especially if you wash it before bagging it. Also I have a couple of sets of ankle weights bought at local sporting goods shop. Nicely sewn in flat cordura bags and inexpensive, available in various weights.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

If you're trying to reduce lead exposure, which is a good idea, it may still be possible to buy copper plated lead shot. Ask at your local gun shop. All the weight of lead without the lead dust especially if you wash it before bagging it. Also I have a couple of sets of ankle weights bought at local sporting goods shop. Nicely sewn in flat cordura bags and inexpensive, available in various weights.

Cabella's also has nickle-plated lead shot. Not exactly cheap, but should also control lead dust etc.

If you've tried sand, it sounds like all you really need is coarse sand or tiny gravel -- something too large to leak, but small enough to "behave" like shot. Sand & gravel have the same bulk density (~100 lb/cu.ft.), so no issue there.

Buy something whose large particles are about the right size (shot) at a gravel pit, sand pile, or garden center (or garden centre, in Canada), and screen out the smaller sizes through a piece of window screen. Sand or gravel is cheap, and it only takes less than a 12-once soda can's worth to make an 18" packing weight out of Type 6 webbing. Or just use 2" tubular webbing, available in bright don't-pack-me colors.

I'd stay away from crushed limestone. It would be prone to subsequent dusting, and calcium carbonate dust on life-saving fabric just doesn't seem like a good idea (neither its abrasiveness nor the chemistry).

I am not too familiar with what these weights are used for in the Reserve packing. But if you need a few pounds or more weight why not call your local steel shop and get some 2" x 2" bar? I think that the weight on this mild steel is 10 or 11 lbs per foot. Then take this to a motorcycle shop and have them powder coat it. Powder Coating has gotten a lot cheaper and the steel is cheap enough, hell you could weld a handle on it too if you wanted. Price of steel + powder coating cant run more than 35 - 45 dollars for 2 20 lb bars. I think that if you buying small pieces like this too they might cut you a break if you tell them that you could use the scraps.

Just a thought from a guy who has no clue what you are looking for.

Adam
If you do things that don't make you appreciate life than why do them

I am not too familiar with what these weights are used for in the Reserve packing. But if you need a few pounds or more weight why not call your local steel shop and get some 2" x 2" bar? I think that the weight on this mild steel is 10 or 11 lbs per foot. Then take this to a motorcycle shop and have them powder coat it. Powder Coating has gotten a lot cheaper and the steel is cheap enough, hell you could weld a handle on it too if you wanted. Price of steel + powder coating cant run more than 35 - 45 dollars for 2 20 lb bars. I think that if you buying small pieces like this too they might cut you a break if you tell them that you could use the scraps.

Adam

"Shot bag" weights are widely used to help hold things in place while packing as you move from working on one part of a canopy to another.

Shot bag weights are somewhat flexible, and will conform to the shape (to some extent) of whatever you put them on.

For example, as you are flaking fabric on one side of a canopy, and now need to flake the other side, you might put shot bag weights on the part you are about to leave. The part that you are about to leave will likely not have a uniform thickness. In the case of flaking fabric of the parachute cells, the lines will be towards the middle of the pack job and will create a thicker area. The semi-flexible shot bag weight will be able to conform to the shape of what you put it on better than a solid bar of stock.

In addition, even powder coated bar stock will likely be less compatible with the parachute fabric than a shot bag that is made of some sort of fabric.

I encourage you to spend some time with a rigger. Many (if not most) will be happy to show you the sorts of things that go into caring for your rig at the time of the Inspection & Repack.

Has anyone tried other packing weight fill materials?

depleted uranium?:)

If the primary worry is the possibility of
lead poisoning, another option would be
to use some ziplock baggies filled with
mercury. For extra safety you could use
the ones with the double zippers. (I think
if you keep it away from fish you would
be OK.)

:S what the point of all this %$@ about lead for weight?
if some one so paranoid of lead poisoning - he can use an hermetic package for it or fill the lead bags with some compaund...
But what about all other omnsters with their belts full of unprotected lead?)
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

Lead is not that bad. I used to work with it a couple of times every week for 1½ years. At lunch break, we would hold our sandwiches with our lead-powder covered hands and dine with a ferocious appetite. :) I'm not saying lead is good for you, but I wouldn't worry about using lead weights that much.

Diver's shot belts might be good too. A bit more expensive though, but sometimes you know someone who can get you a good deal. The lead is coated in order to prevent corrosion. This is what I'm thinking of: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/Aa_shotbelt.jpg.

Adam

"Shot bag" weights are widely used to help hold things in place while packing as you move from working on one part of a canopy to another.

Shot bag weights are somewhat flexible, and will conform to the shape (to some extent) of whatever you put them on.

For example, as you are flaking fabric on one side of a canopy, and now need to flake the other side, you might put shot bag weights on the part you are about to leave. The part that you are about to leave will likely not have a uniform thickness. In the case of flaking fabric of the parachute cells, the lines will be towards the middle of the pack job and will create a thicker area. The semi-flexible shot bag weight will be able to conform to the shape of what you put it on better than a solid bar of stock.

In addition, even powder coated bar stock will likely be less compatible with the parachute fabric than a shot bag that is made of some sort of fabric.

I encourage you to spend some time with a rigger. Many (if not most) will be happy to show you the sorts of things that go into caring for your rig at the time of the Inspection & Repack.

Thanks Paul,

I appreciate you taking the time to explain what is going on with the Rigger Repack. I did not understand what is going on because of my lack of experience. I actually work in the Navy and I have been going over to the Rigger Loft to talk to the guys for a while now. I am good friends with a lot of PR's so they will help when I have questions. The experience level at the place I work is through the roof. I have seen them packing the reserves but did not really understand what is going on.

I got a good class from a couple of my friends about why, what, how and pretty much everything that goes on with packing the main. Psycho, Trash, Pro Packing, these guys pretty much know all of the questions that I ask.

I understand how you say that most Riggers with show me whats up : )

Respectfully,

Adam
If you do things that don't make you appreciate life than why do them

garden center (or garden centre, in Canada the entire world except the U.S.)

Fixed it for you. ;)

WTF?>:( There is something outside the U.S.?:D
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

Lead is not that bad.***

Oh. So all that stuff we hear about the toxicity of lead, particularly in children, must be BS from a bunch of know-nothings. My perception is that lead poisoning may have affected your ability to reason. Might want to get that checked out. ;)

Sometimes you eat the bear..............