airtwardo

Smoke Brackets~

I'm just curious, how much would you pay for a top of the line boot bracket?

A friend made a copy of one of mine recently and though it was a bit pricey he's quite pleased with the end result.

The cost could be brought down some if several units were made up at one time, I wonder if there is an interest that would make it worth the trouble?

I have between 400 & 500 jumps on mine, still looks & works great...so it's a proven design, quality product & a once in a lifetime purchase.

What's that worth?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I wonder if there is an interest that would make it worth the trouble?

That all depends. What makes it "better" than all existing versions? I have a wallace bracket that while I think it is on the pricey side, I think it's one of the better ones out there as it can accommodate every canister out there pretty much and isn't a monstrosity when all is said and done. I watched one jumper use a fairly nicely built bracket with a canister that was slightly too big for the bracket to work properly. To compound matters, the jumper was wearing a teva sandal and as I predicted, the canister started to burn the jumpers foot and he was unable to make the cutaway function as designed. You can guess the rest.

What ever the design your buddy came up with, if it is able to accommodate different size canisters and be configured/adjusted by the jumper, it may be a valid design. The true test is if it can be used by a wingsuiter and still meet all the criteria you would want with a smoke bracket.

Will it hold M-18 smoke(s) like the Wallace?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I wonder if there is an interest that would make it worth the trouble?

That all depends. What makes it "better" than all existing versions? I have a wallace bracket that while I think it is on the pricey side, I think it's one of the better ones out there as it can accommodate every canister out there pretty much and isn't a monstrosity when all is said and done. I watched one jumper use a fairly nicely built bracket with a canister that was slightly too big for the bracket to work properly. To compound matters, the jumper was wearing a teva sandal and as I predicted, the canister started to burn the jumpers foot and he was unable to make the cutaway function as designed. You can guess the rest.

What ever the design your buddy came up with, if it is able to accommodate different size canisters and be configured/adjusted by the jumper, it may be a valid design. The true test is if it can be used by a wingsuiter and still meet all the criteria you would want with a smoke bracket.

Will it hold M-18 smoke(s) like the Wallace?

Hi Scott~

Yes it's designed for m-18's and will hold 3 with no problem.

It also works with all the various commercial smokes I've come across as well as some pyro.

Take a look at the pics, the side rails keeps the heat away from the foot wear, however you & I know the Teva things isn't a good idea regardless f the design.

It holds tight to the shoe or boot and has a quick one hand, direct pull release system that allows the jumper to hang on to it or drop it if in a safe area.

Similar to what the Knights use to use, but a better cutaway system and bigger 'rails' for safety.

Oh...my buddy just copied the design, we (demo team) came up with and have been using variations of it for 30 years.

I watched one jumper use a fairly nicely built bracket with a canister that was slightly too big for the bracket to work properly. To compound matters, the jumper was wearing a teva sandal and as I predicted, the canister started to burn the jumpers foot and he was unable to make the cutaway function as designed. You can guess the rest.

:S

Don't know if its a "urban skydiving legend" or not... but that kinda reminds me of the story I've heard about "the guy" that "thought" it was a good idea to just duct tape an M-18 smoke grenade to his shoe and set it off while leaving the airplane...

Anyway, M-18s are fun! ;) ... but after having popped a few on the ground and seen them burn through the side or sort of "detonate" rather than "burn" AND having seen what they can do to one's gear when jumping with them... I'm not so sure I'd ever jump with one unless I'm getting PAID to do so... but I guess that's what y'all "Pros" get paid for! B|

I watched one jumper use a fairly nicely built bracket with a canister that was slightly too big for the bracket to work properly. To compound matters, the jumper was wearing a teva sandal and as I predicted, the canister started to burn the jumpers foot and he was unable to make the cutaway function as designed. You can guess the rest.

Don't know if its a "urban skydiving legend" or not... but that kinda reminds me of the story I've heard about "the guy" that "thought" it was a good idea to just duct tape an M-18 smoke grenade to his shoe and set it off while leaving the airplane...

Anyway, M-18s are fun! ;) ... but after having popped a few on the ground and seen them burn through the side or sort of "detonate" rather than "burn" AND having seen what they can do to one's gear when jumping with them... I'm not so sure I'd ever jump with one unless I'm getting PAID to do so... but I guess that's what y'all "Pros" get paid for! B|

Hence my sigline! ;):D

ever see the ones that Steve Snyder Enterprises sold"back in the day"?any opinions on them?

The 'hook & bungee' type?

If so, Para Gear use to sell them for a while.

I've used them but don't believe them to be as secure as a heel type.

Given how many people I've seen duct tape cold smoke canisters to their shoes I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone, somewhere had done it with some 'proper' smokeB|
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

has a quick one hand, direct pull release system that allows the jumper to hang on to it or drop it if in a safe area.

that is a great feature. I can cut my smoke boot away but do not have a system in place to hang on to it

sooo how much you thinking of selling these for???
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

What's pricey?;)

$250? I'm way too cheap for that. At $100 I'd probably start making my own. At $50? I still might. But I'm really cheap!

Which reminds me, I need to make some!

Don't do smoke much any more and if I do it's teathered.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

What's pricey?;)

$250? I'm way too cheap for that. At $100 I'd probably start making my own. At $50? I still might. But I'm really cheap!

Which reminds me, I need to make some!

Don't do smoke much any more and if I do it's teathered.

That's the question....the QR hardware itself is 50.00 these days.

I'm not making them just seeing if there is any interest at what it would cost to jobshop a dozen or so.

Dunno about that legend either, but I DO know of a wingsuiter that used automotive tape to tape a skydiver smoke canister directly to his shoe. :S
It burned through his wingsuit, his shoe, and gave him very nasty burns on his foot that still haven't completely healed 7 months after the experience.
Twardo, I'll buy a couple of these if you can get the price at a reasonable level.

Spot~

I'm waiting to hear back on a couple things then I'll give you a call with a question or two regarding technical application with wingsuits.

jimjumper~

With reference to the bracket type Jim Wallace sells~

It's a good bracket and does what it's designed to do, just like a round parachute.

The reason I don't use that type is ...It tends transfer heat to flesh easier than the type I have, it's really not meant for multiple smokes. (*or so the original designer Steve Snyder told me) I've used them with two M-18's and it puts a lot of weight on the outside of the foot.

The attachment/cutaway is well designed and works but I don't feel it's the safest possible system and have seen them both separate at pull time & not separate easily when needed.
*I'll never use one of those over a crowd after using what I do now.
The positive is the cost, and it's obviously better than a roll of tape.
Like most things it comes down to a matter of preference/choice.

The type I use can hold three m18's, one on each side and one in the back.
Yes it's heavy, but better balanced, the 'rails' keep heat away from the foot, and the bracket is secured both at the foot and on the leg...two attachment points yet a simple one pull cuts it away from you.

I've got several hundred jumps on mine with no problem of separation, and have seen an explosive detonation without any injury to the jumper.

We designed and made these like a Timex Tractor...overbuilt for hard use and to last forever.

I like Sparky's and I like VooDoo's brackets as well, but I don't think either are making any at this time.

I'm working up a more updated and cheaper to manufacture design that still retains the strength, simplicity and safety I rely on every time I gear up with one.

I understand cost is a factor, and anyone that knows me understands profit on something like this isn't the motivation to getting some made up. I've been asked by dozens of people to make a unit like mine commercially available, if I can do so economically...I will. :)