BobbyR1990

ZPX Smart reserve?

ZP for a reserve? Great... I packed one MicroRaven -MZ and hated every minute of it. I really hope if they do move forward then they figure out how to eliminate any slipperiness on the material.

Also the Optimum is for sale in the smaller sizes.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I've heard rumors at my DZ that smart may come out with their smart reserve with the ZPX fabric. Does anyone have any info on this?
This would be nice since who knows when the optimum will be available for sale

So, what about this would be "nice"?

PhreeZone already said he hated packing a -MZ (Hybrid ZP reserve).

Non-ZP fabrics are known to be less prone to catastrophic failures.

So, what about a ZPX reserve will be enticing?

If you are thinking about the reduced pack volume that you might see, and want to compare that to the Optimum, remember that the Optimum fabric is NOT ZP.

What size are you looking for?

I've heard rumors at my DZ that smart may come out with their smart reserve with the ZPX fabric. Does anyone have any info on this?

ZPX will not be used in manufacturing of low pack volume Smart. ZP fabric, which ZPX is as well, is best left for mains :) To give you guys heads up, before too many rumors and guesses hit this forum, we are working on low pack volume Smart and will be using honey-comb technology. If you have been waiting for a 150 + sf low pack volume reserve, you patience will pay off soon. Till then be safe, skydive hard and have an awesome 2010 season.

ZP for a reserve? Great... I packed one MicroRaven -MZ and hated every minute of it. ... eliminate any slipperiness on the material...

"

What is the fuss????
When I pack Raven MZ reserves - using the techniques detailed in the Talon 2 manual - it only takes me a few minutes more and is barely a conscious effort. Most of those extra minutes are when a sand bag is squeezing the freebag while I do something else productive, like paperwork.

If you have been waiting for a 150 + sf low pack volume reserve

I have, I have. And then I'm going to put it in my Skyhook-equipped I3 :)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

ZPX will not be used in manufacturing of low pack volume Smart. ZP fabric, which ZPX is as well, is best left for mains :) To give you guys heads up, before too many rumors and guesses hit this forum, we are working on low pack volume Smart and will be using honey-comb technology. If you have been waiting for a 150 + sf low pack volume reserve, you patience will pay off soon. Till then be safe, skydive hard and have an awesome 2010 season.

Thanks verticalflier!

I spoke with Cookie from the Areodyne tent at Fitzgerald. (I know, I told her she's working for the wrong company :P )

She said they are working on a material "similar" to ZPX for the Smart reserve. So honeycomb weave and smaller pack valume with a different coating to make it possible to squeeze into that freebag ;)

"Damn you Gravity, you win again"

I belive that we'll see some new rig designs in the next years that will adress the issue of smaller packvolume mains and reservse...

...can't wait! B|

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

Resurfacing an old thread, but is there any advancement on the low pack volume Smart reserves talked about in this (and other) threads?
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

Hang in there. We are working on new low pack volume project right now. Should be releasing it for PIA 2013.

Looking forward to hearing about it!
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

Hang in there. We are working on new low pack volume project right now. Should be releasing it for PIA 2013.

Looking forward to hearing about it!

Just out of curiosity, why are you looking forward to become a test jumper? There are other low packing volume reserves out there with longer history on the field. If you need one, buy it now. No need to wait till 2013.

I'm not saying that it will be a bad reserve, but in general any skydiving product need about 3-4 years before it's field tested.
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Just out of curiosity, why are you looking forward to become a test jumper? There are other low packing volume reserves out there with longer history on the field. If you need one, buy it now. No need to wait till 2013.

I'm not saying that it will be a bad reserve, but in general any skydiving product need about 3-4 years before it's field tested.

1) I'm pretty sure Aerodyne would do some in house test jumping before they release it to the public, so I doubt they'll have need for me to do any test jumping for them.

2) I'm not looking for a low pack volume reserve just now. At some point in the future when I am, this will give me another option to consider and I won't have hesitations about buying it if it is the product I want.

3) I like Aerodyne products - I have an Icon container and an Aerodyne main, so would be nice to have a complete Aerodyne set. I'm a bit of a geek like that.

4) Take it you thought that no one should have bought the Optimum when it was released and they all should have waited 3 or 4 years for it to be field tested... although by whom if everyone waits?

5) More competition is always a good thing for the marketplace.

6) Any new notable skydiving product is always good to hear about. I like to know about gear and the options available. People probably got exited when the Optimum was announced. I guess that was stupid because there already were other low pack volume reserves available (Speed, X-Fast)...

That's the only reasons I can think of just now.

verticalflier

2013 been and gone. Any updates on a low pack volume Smart reserve from Aerodyne?

The low pack volume smart reserve has been announced and released.

Aerodyne is proud to welcome 2015 with the introduction of our new low pack volume reserve, the Smart LPV.

With the Smart LPV, Aerodyne Labs has created a very different solution to the challenge of how to fit more canopy into a smaller area. We chose to stick with our existing tried and true canopy design, and focus our efforts on improving the properties of the fabric to achieve our results. We set ourselves some pretty tough goals for this project:

1-The fabric had to maintain all its strength and structural integrity. It could not be weaker or stretchier than existing F111 fabric.
2-The fabric needed to perform better on properties such as how flat it lays and how easily it is handled and folded.
3-The fabric needed to show significant reductions in the pack volume of finished Smart reserves, at least one size larger canopy into an existing rig.
4-The finished reserves must of course pass all of the high speed drop tests as required by FAA TSO 123D and European ETSO-C23d..
5-The flight characteristics of the SmartLPV had to mirror those of the Smart reserve. This modern canopy plan form with quick soft openings, and predictable performance has made the Smart one of the best selling reserves in the market.

In attacking this project we worked closely for over a year with one of the most technically advance fabric mills in the world. We focused our efforts on how the fabric was woven and finished and went through many itterations before we found the optimal solution. There were many batches of material, many tests performed, and investments were required into equipment that could give us the right performance parameters every time.

We are really proud to report that we’ve done it. With our new fabric FX11, we’ve created an amazing material. It met all our goals and then some. The new reserves are fabulous. They sailed through the strength testing, and every rigger who has touched one has been impressed. They report that the “hand” or feel of the fabric is exceptional. It seems to be less prone to stress warping and snagging than thinner filament fabric that other manufacturers have gone to in search of lower pack volumes.

We have now launched the new Smart LPV with FX11.

That's all the info I've found. Anyone know or got the more specific tech specs regarding pack volume?

freeatlast

There's some general info now up on the other thread :)

What other thread?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am