tandembrent

Microsoft SUCKS!

i'm sick and tired of Windows patches and updates!

is there a reliable and no non-sense operating system that the average person can use! i'm running a intel based machine and want to eliminate all (if i can) microsoft products and software?????

~~~~Green grass and high clouds forever~~~~
no matter where you go, there you are!

thanks to you all!

i understand about the patches. i guess i'm tired of funding bill gates.

is linux expensive, not that is a real concern? will it supprot video editing? anything i should or should not do with linux?

thanks again for the info!

There are so many different kernels with Linux, and the majority are free of charge and really good - it really just depends on how much you want to (or feel comfortable) having control of. Do some research to find one that works for you.

I'm currently using gnome but there are lots out there. its open source so lots of people write lots of programs for all purposes, I'm sure there's a video editing one.

Good luck,

Jen
Arianna Frances

Most basic flavors of Linux you can get for free off the web. I've got Mandrake 10 and I have no complaints. www.distrowatch.com
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

is there a reliable and no non-sense operating system that the average person can use

Yes Windows. If anyone tells you using Linux is for "average users" they're flat out bullshitting you. Yes Linux is powerful, no linux is not something I could put on grandma's machine.

And if you think for one second Linux doesnt need patches, etc, you're kidding yourself.

Before you decide to make a switch I suggest you go and check out what software you use with your computer and if there's either a linux version or a comparable app.

Either way don't kid yourself into thinking it's going to be an easy learning curve.

Maybe it's right for you, dunno, but it comes with it's own set of issues.

EDIT: Yeah MAC is another option too.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

IF (you are a "power-user")
THEN you have a choice of Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris x86
(but if you were a power-user, you would already know that)
ELSE get a Mac
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Does SuSe have boobies Ivan

I don't think so, but it'll come with Novell :)

ELSE get a Mac

LOL, in which case you'll be getting OpenBSD which is what OSX runs on :)
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

is there a reliable and no non-sense operating system that the average person can use

Yes Windows. If anyone tells you using Linux is for "average users" they're flat out bullshitting you. Yes Linux is powerful, no linux is not something I could put on grandma's machine.

And if you think for one second Linux doesnt need patches, etc, you're kidding yourself.

Before you decide to make a switch I suggest you go and check out what software you use with your computer and if there's either a linux version or a comparable app.

Either way don't kid yourself into thinking it's going to be an easy learning curve.

Maybe it's right for you, dunno, but it comes with it's own set of issues.

Blues,
Ian

Totes. I use SuSe, XP, and Panther fairly evenly. XP is the best blend of power, usability, and price. Not to mention that it runs more software than anything else (my taskbar is attached). The patches aren't difficult to install (they install themselves -- they just require download time), and you don't actually have to install them.

Linux is NOT for the average user. I've used computers my entire life and have had no problem in any Linux environment since Red Hat 4, but there's no way in hell that I recommend it to the average user.

There are patches for every OS. No way around it. Panther and XP are equally easy to patch (a remonder pops up, you select updates, and you click "OK"). Macs are spendier (both hardware and software -- OS point releases cost money :S). So the OS you're running right now is about as good as it's gonna get it.

The average user, 95% of the world, uses Windows.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Linux + average = drunk + school bus driver

And plan on RTFM. Infact, a couple. Read the HOW TOs, too. There ain't no C:\ drive anymore. Luckily the thing will actually mount the devices for you (yes, mount. Not as in hump, but as in mount /dev/fd0).

Your choice of desktop is anything from X-Windows, GNOME, KDE, or the fucking bash shell.

Then there's the patching. Redhat has an up2date feature. Then there's this yum crap. Either way, plan on PATCHING your LINUX box as well. Especially if you're running a bunch of CRAP (and you're not aware of it). Whether it be an anon FTP server, Apache (probably an old version with some exploit), or some other God forsaken friggin' service.

http://www.linuxiso.org/

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/answers.php

http://www.linux.org/docs/index.html

Here's a copy you can burn to CD and install without fucking up your system. Gives you a chance to try it out (and shoot yourself in the head): http://www.knoppix.net/

OK, OK!!

i'm starting to get the picture here! i should stick to windows and just suck it up, or suck up to Bill Gates!

you guys explaining OS's to me would be about the same as me trying to explain the diferences between all the different glues that i work with everyday!

thanks again!
brent

i save all the really GOOD glues for "home use" lol

i use daily;
- wood glues
- contact adhesives
- polyurethane glues
- alphetic resin glue
- epoxy
- cyanoacrylic glues

ever smelled PVC glue? that should explain why plumbeers are always smiling and showing their coin slot!!!!!! NO! i'm not a plumber.

or suck up to Bill Gates!

Do people realize that he isn't even the CEO anymore, and hasn't been in a LONG time? Not too mention that he's the world's most generous philanthropist. Why support a company that's handed out 60 BILLION dollars to charity? Seems like a bad idea, right? Oh, wait -- no. It must the thousands of well-paid developers that develop a lot the most used, consistent software -- screw them! No... oh, it has to be that they work hard to give away the most robust browser and media player. Yeah, fuck that! ;)

Seriously, Microsoft is a good company with good people and good motives. It's sad that they've been painted evil by the jealous types.

Those that hate Microsoft, do you actually know WHY you hate them? Because they charge money for their most of their products? THOSE BASTARDS! How dare they?!

BTW, Microsoft is a couple hours away, and the OSDL (THE Linux lab) is about ten minutes away. Needless to say, XP vs Linux battles can get pretty heated here.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Yes, but they're early business practice leave much to be desired.

I just finished up a year of working with a local 'alternative' high school in Providence, RI - a Gates Foundation funded school. The kid I was working with will be the first in his family to graduated from high school - with 4 years completely paid at U of Miami going for architecture. This kid worked hard but can't do the things I graduated HS knowing, but without the Gates Foundation he wouldn't have graduated HS let alone gotten a 4 year year ride in college - for that, Gates is applauded.

Jen
Arianna Frances

is there a reliable and no non-sense operating system that the average person can use!

No:)

So the Mac doesn't exist?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ELSE get a Mac

There's a logical error on that code, the last line should be like this:

ELSE IF IDIOT=1 THEN Get a MAC