wingnut

things to do on a long drive

okay so as i gt ready to set out on my return trip to utah from texas i need of things to do... it's gona be a little longer going back than on the way down and i about went crazy.... i mean the hitchiker i picked up was a distraction and it was sorta interesting to try and figure out what he was gona say before he did with the stutter.... but i doubt i'll find another hitchiker to pass the time.... so what can i do...i will post my list so far....

smoke 1 million cigaretts
sing along to the radio really loud
sing along to cd's once the radio stops working in the middle of nowhere texas& wyoming
twidle my thumbs....
kill a kitten while driving (advanced move not for the begining driver)
call up people when i get cell coverage (rare as the wet is not yet properly covered)
think about skydiving
remeber that this trip is only 300 miles less than my drive to wffc in a couple months.....

okay anthing else?????????

I was gonna suggest killing kittens, but you already have that covered.

Do you have a CB? Those really help out on long drives, gives you someone to chat to and can keep you out of long delays in cities and such. The drivers tend to tell each other quick go arounds to keep from getting stuck in traffic/construction.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Pick up hitchhikers.
Moo at the cows to confuse them.
When at a gas station that has gas and diesel pumps on the same thingy, attempt to put the diesel pump in your gas tank until you finally figure out it doesn't fit and you need the other pump.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I remember Jeremy Clarkson (UK car journalist/reviewer etc) driving along in Texas on one of his programs, drinking from a can of beer and shooting a gun in the air whilst telling the viewers that what he was doing was perfectly legal in that state.

Just an idea...

awww, c'mon people, there have got to be better suggestions than that. I have a three day road trip to Cali coming up in a month. Now that is a long drive....:S
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

Oh yeah! Here's one!

Every time you drive past a rummage sale or garage sale, lean out the window and scream at the top of your lungs -

"IT'S ALL STOLEN !!!!!"

Fun stuff.

- topher

note: This diversion may require that you travel state and county highways instead of interstates. This will measurably increase the time spent in the automobile. Therefore, the value of this diversion must be measured against the increased time spent performing the activity that required said diversion.
"...there is a there out there..." - Tom Robbins

Pick up hitchhikers.

I've done that quite a bit. You meet some interesting folks that way. You can also meet some very dangerous folks that way. Well, I guess out of the 15 or so folks I've given rides to in the past only one turned out to be dangerous. I, um, "controlled the situation" and dropped him off.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Make funny faces at the people in passing cars. Especially fun to do at kids cuz they'll usually make faces back at you.

Figure out how many miles it is to the next rest stop. Figure out how long that will take. Check every 10 miles or so to see how accurate your estimate was.

Say hello to everyone you cross paths with at rest stops. It freaks 'em out.

Even better, tell 'em the duck joke.

Tune the radio to something you'd never, ever consider listening to any other time - a Mexican station, classical, talk radio, whatever. When I was driving through Wyoming to WFFC last year I found a station that played nothing but Indians chanting. It was cool.

Find a car travelling at about the same speed you are. Stay with them. See how long it takes before a) they reach their exit or b) they exit because you're freaking them out.

Eat at truck stop restaurants. Not for the food, for the most excellent people watching opportunities.

Stop at scenic view points and historical markers. Ask people to take pictures of you. Tell 'em the duck joke.

Oh yeah... and be safe. :)

Well, when we were driving from Michigan down to WV for Bridge Day, we bought a bag of balloons and instructions for making animals. They had been meant for the two passengers, but the driver managed to make just as many as we did and we only came close to crashing about half a dozen times. Funny, but scary as hell. I reckon that's at least as big a challenge as killing a kitten. Not least because you need two hands...

Erm. Actually, I wouldn't recommend this. [:/]

but the driver managed to make just as many as we did and we only came close to crashing about half a dozen times.

So what you're saying is that it was still a lot safer than BASE jumping. :S

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

So what you're saying is that it was still a lot safer than BASE jumping. :S

Don't be silly.. You'd never be able to hold the balloons AND throw your pilot chute.

Hmmm.... "Freefall Balloon Animal Making"... Do we finally have a sport we can take to the IOC?

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

things to do on a long drive

Ask GFD.

Flash a trucker!!!!

oh wait... I guess that won't work for you.

Sometimes I go to my local library and rent a bunch of books on tape or books on CD and it passes the time quite nicely.

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

Sometimes I go to my local library and rent a bunch of books on tape or books on CD and it passes the time quite nicely.

You can do the same at Cracker Barrels (cool restaurant/gift store chain located all along major interstates outside California). Pick it up at one store/restaurant, return it at another one down the road when you're finished with it.

Say hello to everyone you cross paths with at rest stops. It freaks 'em out.

I do this. It does.

Even better, tell 'em the duck joke.

Eh?

Eat at truck stop restaurants. Not for the food, for the most excellent people watching opportunities.

I love Truck Stop food!
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

"Flash a trucker!!!!

oh wait... I guess that won't work for you. "

Why not?... this is not a matter their entertainment... but yours... I can only imagine the looks...

Do this tell me how it works... I may have to try it in a week when I drive north to my cousins Wedding...

I
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...