cmfale

Newbie helmet question

I am new (42 jumps) and after renting a helmet, have finally decided to buy a new RAWA Image. I would like to fly with a camera eventually but have no plans of strapping one on anytime soon. With that being said, if I order a RAWA, how easy is it to get a camera box added later? Should I buy one with the box already mounted and just wait to add the camera? Is there anyplace I can send a helmet to get the box added later? Thanks for the help!

Patience.
No need to rush.
By the time you have the 200 jumps (pre-level for jumping with a camera) you will be tired of your RAWA and will want to buy a new helmet.

Adding a camera box is just adding a distraction.

When you are learning to fly camera, you will want to keep an old, bare helmet for "fun" jumps.

I am new (42 jumps) and after renting a helmet, have finally decided to buy a new RAWA Image. I would like to fly with a camera eventually but have no plans of strapping one on anytime soon. With that being said, if I order a RAWA, how easy is it to get a camera box added later? Should I buy one with the box already mounted and just wait to add the camera? Is there anyplace I can send a helmet to get the box added later? Thanks for the help!

Jumping an empty box may not even be allowed where you're at, it would be a poor choice to jump a camera helmet with extra stuff as a newbie anyway. A box is usually pretty model-specific so you wouldn't buy a box without knowing for which exact camera you'll need it, and where you'll be wanting to mount it (side or top, for most people top is the safest and best place to mount unless you're an AFF instructor then you'll be wanting sidemount for sure), all that will come with experience. Buy camera stuff when you know exactly what you want and why, by then you can also decide whether you'll want the safer option of a molded-into-the-helmet-box or a separate box which is more versatile (and not hard to mount) or even no box at all, also some helmets are suited for mounting both stills and video (for tandem video work) and on the other end some are meant for low-profile AFF/freefly type video, no way to know now what you'll need/want then. Also you'll be wanting a non-camera helmet around for jumps without camera, tunnel flying etc anyway.

If I were you I'd buy either a pro-tec/benny type helmet or a simple freefly-type open face helmet now and go jump it. Get a fullface later on should you get into a bit more serious FS work. Get a camera helmet when you're ready for that in the type you'll need then, but keep all the helmets you've accumulated around you'll need them ;)

Use the right tool for the right job ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

personal experience: Get Carbon! whatever brand..get carbon!

Rawa, Gath and any other slim-fit-low-profile-super-light weight helmet is nice to wear, maybe cheap, but it won't help you at all when you mess up your landing. Gath is made for surfers to protect them from coral cuts.

Here's some background info as to why I'm against anything other then carbon.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3635255;page=unread#unread

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3648817;page=unread#unread

The best thing is to get a CE certified skihelmet and tape the goggle attachment to prevent snagging. Sweet and Bollé are two european brands that have that certification. Maybe there are some US models out there who also have the same certification. There is also the possibility to fit dytters in a Sweet helmet.

As mentioned in an previous post, don't rush into camera helmet at this point. focus on just having fun and jump and get on video. Because when you get the cam on your head, everybody wants to jump with you just to get on video, but you'll never se yourself on video again hehe =P

When you get 200 jumps-ish you'll be more experienced to make a good and qulifeid decision. And with the GoPro HeroHD you may easyly attach it to a skihelemt without any screws.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

The Rawa Image (without a box) works just fine as your basic open face helmet with a chincup. It also has two audible pockets.

You can either leave that helmet as is forever...or you can add top and/or side mount cameras/boxes later. Side-mount boxes for the Rawa Image helmets have to be a Rawa box as their boxes match the slight curve to the side of their helmet. Top-mount boxes can be Rawa boxes, or any other brand.

And you'll want to jump it without a box for now. Adding a box later on isn't too difficult. The boxes will come with mounting screws. And most drop zones have a vidiot who can help with mountings and/or dealers who sell Rawa helmets/boxes can mount them for you later.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

Thank you all for the wonderful information and help! I just ordered a RAWA Style - the basic helmet without camera mounts. Thanks for pointing out to me that it will always be useful to have a non-camera helmet. The reason I decided on RAWA against other impact models (carbon, cookie) is because I am not very aggressive on landings....still on a 190 and I'm the slow boring one, and I was able to try on the RAWA helmets and know my size/fit.
Again thank you so much for your help!!!

The RAWA is great for adding later. I bought mine off of eBay, brand new, with camera box for $53 shipped to my door (Just thought I would throw that in there, haha)

I was 15 jumps in at that point so I drilled the rivets out and removed the box. Then I grabbed a Liquid mount when I was ready to add video. I have since added a RAWA box to the side and use the top mount for stills.

Super easy, you won't tire of this helmet. Adding on later is super easy. But I wouldn't just add an empty box....why have the liability without the benefits?