Malfunction

First EMT save

A week ago, myself and two other EMTs in our office building had to respond to an unresponsive patient with uncontrollable bleeding. We arrived on scene (last stall, women's bathroom) to find the patient slipping further and further on the Glascow scale. The three of us, with no budget, limited jump packs, first aid equipment that would make any First Responder laugh, were able to secure the patient, stabalize her and prepare her for transport when the rig showed up. The three of us are not employed as EMTs, and are therefore treated as ignorant employees by our employer, did not have access to an AED (company does not want the liability of one), we ran out of gloves during the stabalization, but managed to save her life. She emailed us today to say thanks to the three EMTs that were first on scene. Today is a good day for all of us, patient included.

Kudos to all the EMTs out there that do this every day. Many thanks.

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

This may be an aside statement by you, but if it's a massive blood loss situation why would you need an AED? Didn't sound like it was a heart attack though you didn't say what the problem was.

I still remember my first save.. it was a heart attack, which an AED would have been helpful for...

Kevin

Just an aside statement, further proving that we are trained as EMT-Basics, yet get all the toys of a Home Medicine Kit, without the Aspirin. My jump kit has bandaids (only like 12 of them), gloves (restocked by me), a cold pack, SAM splint, Flashlight, ointment packs, alcohol wipes, a pocket mask and a trash bag for vomit. And I get to be proud to be an EMT at my office...

Not even enough to treat basic hypoperfusion.

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

NOICE!!!! B| Good job Malfunction!!! :)
[AceVenturaVoice]"Your number still 9-1-1? ALRIGHTY THEN!"[/AceVenturaVoice]

Next to childbirth, I'd have to imagine that saving a life is one of the most incredible feelings...especially when it isn't your 'job' to do it...and nobody would have said anything if you didn't save her life, with the situation being what it was. Yep, one to be very proud of. :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

employees by our employer, did not have access to an AED (company does not want the liability of one

Liabililty? I think not having one at a workplace should be considered negligent, how's that for liability. They're getting cheap, they're easy to use, and it's FACT that they increase survival rates significantly over CPR only.

Tell your employers I think they're asshats and ask them how they'll handle it when they need to say they're sorry to the children of the employee that collapses at work and wasn't saved because an AED wasn't onhand. :(

edit to add: btw good job on the save!

Elvisio "sometimes dollars and cents make no sense" Rodriguez