spectrefish

what size canopy

I've been out of skydiving for over 4 years, and now that school is finished I'm looking to get back into it.

I busted out the gear: A javelin odyssey with a 150 sabre2 inside.

Looks as beautiful as the day I bought it. Ahhhh.

I'm thinking of getting rid of the sabre2 and getting a larger canopy that is a little more docile. I don't need or really want to be a "hot dog" swooper (pretty impossible with a 150 anyway), I just want to enjoy the view and the ride, and above all be safe.

I don't know the largest size canopy my container will take. I don't believe it will take any more than the newer 150 that's in it already but how can I tell what it will take? I haven't been in touch with many jumpers in a while because I was too busy. Perhaps I should just take this question up with a rigger, but I do like to be self-informed too.

Can anyone help me learn how to tell? You might be able to save me the drive to my rigger's house.

Thanks everyone. I'll be in the air again soon!

umop ap!sdn w,I

What model/size is the container? A trip to www.sunpath.com with that info will let you look up the maximum recommended canopy size. (Click on "Buy a Javelin" and then "Container Sizing Chart".)

Without that information, I can only suggest that a 7-cell canopy of the next size up (~170) might fit due to the smaller pack volume of a 7- vs. 9-cell. And I can speak from experience in suggesting your namesake (PD Spectre) as a smooth opening, relatively docile canopy. A fair number of videographers and wingsuiters fly Spectres because of the soft, consistent openings.
Matthew Wallin
C-37899

Question answered! Thanks Matthew. The sun path site told me exactly what I could fit in there. I looked on their site before coming here but never thought to look in the "buy a javelin" spot. Thanks again.

I was in fact actually thinking of switching to a spectre. I jumped one about 5 or 6 years ago and loved it. Liked it better than my sabre2 even.

Thanks for the info.

blue skies.

B|

umop ap!sdn w,I

The ZPX material from Aerodyne packs smaller than regular ZP, you could probably have a Pilot 168 that packs the same as the 150.

Similarly, a Pulse 170 from PD will pack like a 150. Demo 'em all!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke