RevJim

One year, 2 hours, 48 minutes, and change

A few years ago I would have thought it not possible.

Now, just over a year later, 2 inches in the waist and 25 pounds bigger, I am still smoke free.

Man, I gotta tell you, it feels good to toot my own horn about this, and I really feel good. I haven't felt this good since High School, 15 to 20 years ago.

1.5 to sometimes up to 3 packs a day, depending on if I was at home or out on the road in a semi, to cold turkey. It can be done, and without killing anyone, or having them want to kill you.

OK, Who's next? :)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

2 inches in the waist and 25 pounds bigger,

I see you're on the cheap bastard canopy downsizing plan ;)

Good on ya Rev! :)

Thanks. You're a pretty alright guy, for a canuk. :P

I didn't change my eating habits at all (I've always been a pig). My metabolism adjusted to not having nicotine and carbon monoxide in my bloodstream. I used to eat all day long and was a skinny little shit at 155 pounds. Now I hover around 180. It did put a strain on my reserve, as my profile shows, but after saving my life twice we've bonded. B|
It's your life, live it!

Good for you for quitting. I quit cold turkey 2 years, 12 days ago (the day my son was born). It is one of the best feelings to know that you were able to stop something that at one time had a hold on you. Congrats and keep it up!

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

Congratulations to you. I've been off the wagon for 5 years now and I used to smoke 2 packs a day. The key thing is that "you have to want to quit" and not because you have to. Another trick was I stayed away from smokers for 6 months after that, it was smooth sailing. Keep up the progress RevJim!

How many hits of adrenaline can you take?

My wife still smokes, so staying away wasn't really an option....

She set a date finally. She's having her last smoke Thursday night.

This is gonna be hard, since I didn't have withdrawls or get moody. Every time she's tried to quit, she turned into Mrs. Hyde. :S
It's your life, live it!

Congrats, Revmeister! :)And congrats on helping to be a good example so your wife made the decision too.
Maybe you can offer her a trip to the spa, with the house and kids clean when she gets back, if she goes a month without killing you :)
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I've cut way back in my smoking, where during the week I'm only smoking 1 or 2 cigs a day. The weekends I'm running about 1/2 a pack a day...so hard while at the DZ. So it'll be easier this time, since last time I quit (didn't smoke again for over 4 years) I was smoking well over a pack a day.

It wasn't a concious thing, just sort of happened, so I'm starting to think about quitting again. Not quitting to quit, just quitting since I'm not enjoying it like I used to.

Well, if I don't quit sometime now, I know I'll quit at some point, since once Morgan gets pregnant, I'm quitting for ever. That's the day I find out, I'm throwing away whatever I might have and never again. Not worth the risk to a little unborn baby life and not worth the risk to a born baby and their life.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Nine months and 20 days for me - cold turkey.

I hate to say this, but I miss it. A lot. I was never a super heavy smoker - 1 pack per work week, more on weekends, depending who I was smoking with, sometimes more, some less.

I'm glad to be rid of the habit, but every once in a while, I just want to be able to enjoy a cigarette and not feel like I've blown the whole "ex-smoker" thing. Is that possible, or will I just slide back in to the habit?

Damn they used to taste so good with beer. :(

I know, I know, better off in the long run, lungs healing, longer life, no coughing, no nicotine hangovers, no nasty breath...

Did you go through this, Rev?

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Congrats My Brother!!! I think you and I actually "shared a few cigs" while at one of my Harvest Moon Boogies!

Tomorrow, July 1st, will be my 2 year anniversary, and yeah, I added almost exactly the same amount in inches and weight. It will also be the 2 year mark for my wife, as we quit on the same day!!!B|

Back in 97 I quit. I lasted almost a year. I figured one wouldn't hurt. It was a cigar. It said "It's a boy" on the wrapper. I'd be a prick to turn it down. No big deal, right?

WRONG!

Within 2 weeks I was over 2 packs a day, and was seriously addicted again. It took from then to now to build up the willpower to do it again.

A couple of months ago a very good friend of mine became a first time daddy. He's so proud of his little girl. He's still pissed at me though, as I wouldn't even take the cigar he offered. "You don't have to smoke it, just take it." "No."

Don't do it, 'becca.
It's your life, live it!

That's quite possible. I had a blast down there, even if the fact that the hurricane had just blown through made pretty much the entire place either a swoop pond or a mud pit.

Congrats to you 2 also!
It's your life, live it!

Sigh. I knew you'd say that. I don't want one every day, just on 'those' days. This is one of them.

But, I don't want to have to struggle even harder later on (into my thirties - yikes), so I'll just keep this quitting thing going.

Why is everything that tastes/feels good so bad for you? Not fair...

Thanks for the encouragement! B| AND CONGRATULATIONS!!!B|B|

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Congrats My Brother!!! I think you and I actually "shared a few cigs" while at one of my Harvest Moon Boogies!

Tomorrow, July 1st, will be my 2 year anniversary, and yeah, I added almost exactly the same amount in inches and weight. It will also be the 2 year mark for my wife, as we quit on the same day!!!B|

Wally! You gained weight? I can't imagine you not being a 6'4" bean poll.

Good job. Keep it up.

6 more weeks to go... will be a year for me w/o nicotine.

Wow, both Cocheese and RevJim! Two of my fav people...NOICE! Seriously, that is wonderful! Congrats! B|

Wow. Now that I wasn' expecting. Thank you, Rosa. :)
It's your life, live it!

Wow, both Cocheese and RevJim! Two of my fav people...NOICE! Seriously, that is wonderful! Congrats! B|

Wow. Now that I wasn' expecting. Thank you, Rosa. :)

My relationship with you has evolved over the last year, hasn't it? :)
Cocheese has been a total doll, also. A real (sincere) friend is hard to find. :)

I didn't expect that either.

After the way that you have been towards me? You have been nothing but a doll. You gave me a present of two jump tickets for my B-day, just for thinking that I am a nice person. That is amazing. for someone to give me a gift, expecting NOTHING in return. I have to say that you are a really special person.:)
Jim, also, for reasons that are endless. Like I said, you have changed towards me, and I towards you. You seem to be someone who may become a good friend someday. :)
Thanks you two. It's about spreading love. If anyone has a problem with that...who cares. As long as we have the sky and our true friends on our home DZ and on DZ.com, that's all that matters. ;)