Emu

Building your own canopy

jimjumper

First step, decide on the number of cells!

..................................................................................

I only made one jump on an 8-celled canopy, but I stomped a dead center.
I was riding past the old DZ at Arthur, Ontario and borrowed a rig to do a fun jump.
I vaguely remember that the canopy was sewn by APS or FTS back around 1988. It was made of F-11 fabric and had about 230(?) square feet.

RiggerLee

Chafin. The only person I've ever known crazy enough to try to build an 8 cell canopy. It was probably a variation on his lazer.

Lee

I will add myself to the short list. I built 5, 6, 7, and 8 cell canopies. I was quite pleased with the 6 and 8 cell ones. Many jumps on both. Won the 1978 nationals 4-way jumping a 6 cell.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Dave Davenport was the owner and designer of FTS building the Rascals,Lasers and Bogeys in 5, 7,8 and 9 cells. Mains and reserves in Alpherreta Ga. He became a ward of the state and Bob Chafin moved it to Texas. The 8 cell was a 254 sq ft that was a great flying canopy for the time.