Emu

Building your own canopy

Howdy,

I saw a thread I havent been able to find again about an old "build-your-own" canopy kit with a detailed instruction booklet. Just wondering if anyone knows where I would be able to find one?

I'm looking to build myself a very large square 7 cell (see 300 sq ft) for a bit of fun.

Anyone with reccomendations on a suitable sewing machine? (doesnt need to be harness capable)

And is paragear the only source of F-111?

Cheers

That was a company called Lone Star (or similar, I can't remember). They made the Laser 7, Laser 9 and the Rascal.

A fun small project to get started was something a friend of mine did. He took apart an old Raider or similar, scaled it down and made a kite using ZP.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hi Emu,

Anyone with reccomendations on a suitable sewing machine?

I built a canopy using a Singer single-needle machine, a 31-15.

And is paragear the only source of F-111?

Nope, but once you determine how many yards of fabric you will need, start calling around. I would recommend that you start calling canopy mfrs who actually build their canopies here in the USA.

It is not that tough of a project; just continually keep telling yourself 'I can do this, I can do this.' :P

JerryBaumchen

If I was going to build a canopy I'd build a small non-crossbraced design. Save material and labor. Then I'd get someone else to test jump it. :P

Seriously I would only build a canopy to test my own design not to confirm my fabrication skills. And I'd probably build a matching wingsuit while I was at it.

Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Seriously I would only build a canopy to test my own design not to confirm my fabrication skills. And I'd probably build a matching wingsuit while I was at it.

I'll buy your jump ticket, shoot the video, AND supply the wine we'll drink, as we repack your reserve! ;)
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I have lots of free time at night here for the next year so I figure between abusing myself and drinking gin I wanna sew a canopy. Its been a goal of mine ever since meeting a guy who built his first square, and did his first square jumps on his own canopy....

Im pretty sure the Wally Gubbins videos need to be revived. Pure gold.

...between abusing myself and drinking gin I wanna sew a canopy...

What could possibly go wrong. ;)

At least wash your hands between the self-abuse and the sewing.

Back around 1990, I bought two para-kits from Lone Star/Para-kit.

My first kit-built canopy was a 210 square foot, seven-cell made of F-111 fabric with Dacron suspension lines.
I spent at least 40 hours just reading the manual. In the end, the first jump was un-eventful. I made about 250 jumps on that canopy before retiring it because I got too heavy.

A couple of years later I bought a second para-kit to build a 220 square foot, nine-cell canopy with the same materials. My second canopy tooka bit less time to sew and I made another 350 jumps on it until ZP fabric came into fashion.

Overall, sewing my own canopies was a tremendous learning experience, but I would not do it again because I can buy decent, slightly-used canopies for the retail cost of materials and I am no longer willing to work for less than minimum wage. Those latina ladies - who sew for major canopy manufacturers - are way faster and way neater than I will ever be.

Rob Warner
FAA Master Rigger
CSPA Rigger Examiner

Mister

I totally encourage you to do this. There could be no great feeling of satisfaction that building your own canopy and flying it successfully.

It is one of my goals to build not only the parachutes but the container on my back before I part this world.

Good luck and have fun :)
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

I have lots of free time at night here for the next year so I figure between abusing myself and drinking gin I wanna sew a canopy. Its been a goal of mine ever since meeting a guy who built his first square, and did his first square jumps on his own canopy....

House arrest?;)

Jump more, post less!

Are these still available anywhere? I have two of them (don't know if there are more than that) and have thought about putting them on DVD.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

...between abusing myself and drinking gin I wanna sew a canopy...

What could possibly go wrong.

At least wash your hands between the self-abuse and the sewing.

You don't think he can wait until just before he drinks the gin?
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

What, the offer doesn't include dinner? If I ever have the time I'm gonna take you up on that Ed. Since I'd build a canopy around 75 sq ft the reserve ride is kind of a given.

Sissy!
Hasn't Luigi landed a 39 square foot canopy?
Hah!
Hah!

hawk_63

Hi there,

I wonder if anybody has a manual for building those parachutes in PDF. I would really appreciate if you can help me to get a copy.

Mirko aka. Soko (Sokol)

.... ... ............

If you sent me your e-mail address, I will send you an electronic copy of the Lone Star manual.
Meanwhile the whole subject on sewing your canopy is being discussed on a thread called "My little project."