FallinFromGrace

Buying My First Chute

I've only jumped tandem and really have no idea what to buy or how to go about buying other than online. im hoping to start classes and get licenced I'm 6'1 200lbs

just finish AFF before you go buying gear ...
- Neil

Never make assumptions! That harmless rectangle could be two triangles having sex ...

You shouldn't think about buying a rig until you get your license. You have done one tandem, you've probably spent maybe three hours around a dropzone, there is no way you know enough to make an informed decision about what to buy. The question you're asking is like asking which airplane you should buy having ridden in one once. Even if you somehow did have infinite knowledge before you started jumping, which is impossible, you will need a very large student rig until you're certified, and then you may want to downsize to something slightly smaller. Unless you're planning on buying two rigs in a relatively short period of time, don't even think about it till you're close to getting your license. Another point, you may start jumping solo and find out this sport isn't really for you. If you've bought a rig, you're probably going to feel obligated to stay.

I bought my first rig while still on student status, and while it works for me, I totally regret it. Wait and get your A, then start making expensive decisions. You'll quickly find that this is a very complicated decision. WAIT.

But yeah Jumps are cheaper owning your own chute

Take it with a grain of salt, since I am some unknown internet dude (most of these unknown internet skydiving guys/gals are wayyy more experienced than I, and; do have great advice most of the time)..

However, "cheaper" is not something I would stake my life on. And going the "cheaper" route in this sport, may get you into trouble at our stage of the game, financially and/or physically. IE put your hard earned cash into your training and listen to your instructors which whom you jump with, they know you better than I ever will.

Also, talk with the people at the drop zone who you will be jumping with regularly, AFTER your training. Make sure that not only do you trust yourself with your decisions BUT they also trust you with your decisions as well. Ultimately, those are the guys your flying with in the sky, and they will be trusting YOU to make correct decisions while flying with them.
www.apt3studios.com
www.musicpromotiononline.com
www.internetcafegaming.com
D.S. # 4321

The majority of DZs will not let you use your own gear while you're getting your license. There will be slight differences in a student rig vs a sport rig and they don't want to have to worry about you remembering those differences. In addition many student rigs have a BOC (bottom of container - where your pilot shute goes) that can be deployed by an instructor on either side.

All of your student jumps should include gear rental in the cost anyway.

Around jump 15 or so, figure out who the Riggers are at the dropzone. Have a talk with your Instructors and the Riggers. A lot of times they'll know local jumpers who just ordered new gear or have gear for sale and can help you find things that'll fit and be appropriate for your skill level (plus if you buy used from the classified here or something you definitely should go through your rigger so he/she can inspect it and try to help you from getting f'ed over).

I would agree with everybody. You need to finish your AFF or IAD training, learn to pack, and get your A license before buying a rig. Im new in the sport also, hoping to get my A license this spring. Getting solo experience flying a student rig is crucial to understanding canopy handling and will go a long way to making the right decision for you when you are ready. In the meantime, learn from instructors and fellow skydivers.

Blue Skies
New to the sport but eager to learn what I can.

With some of the long manufacturing times for custom-fitted container/harness systems (20+ weeks for the slowest) one could conceivably have earned an A license long before it arrives. Canopies are a different story, and within a given range of appropriate novice sizes, there are all kinds of possibilities and shorter wait times that won't slurp down entire season.

The one thing I know for sure: The sooner I can stop getting beat up and bruised by not-so-great-fitting student/rental harnesses, the better.

Just my two cents, with full acknowledgment that I don't know s**t.

Joe
simplify

But yeah Jumps are cheaper owning your own chute Even if im trying to get Licenced.

Really??? What makes you so sure? I bet that most DZs will charge you the same for a student jump one way or the other. Use student gear... it will make your life much easier.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

You should just buy a Saber2 right now, they are totally awesome, super popular and everyone loves them. :D

just kidding... I agree with everyone else.

Have fun going through AFF it's a great experience.

*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

With some of the long manufacturing times for custom-fitted container/harness systems (20+ weeks for the slowest) one could conceivably have earned an A license long before it arrives.

Since

1. There's thousands of dollars difference between a new rig (+ reserve + AAD) and a nice used rig, much of which will be lost when you want to sell the rig to down-size.

2. People who down-size no faster than allowed by Brian Germain's chart will be done with their first rig in a couple years and 400 jumps.

you don't want to be ordering a new rig. Some people try to get a rig that they can "grow into" that's too small to use safely at the time they buy it, although with the high cost of lost work, co-insurance, and medical deductibles that often isn't cheaper in the long run.

The one thing I know for sure: The sooner I can stop getting beat up and bruised by not-so-great-fitting student/rental harnesses, the better.

So you buy a safe-sized used rig as soon as possible. I started jumping mine on jump #13. You sell it when it's no longer an appropriate size for what you paid minus a couple dollars a jump for depreciation.

It's unlikely to be ideal, although you'll be putting so little time on the main canopy (less than a year) that's not a big issue as long as it fits.

This all assumes you've been cleared for self-supervision and (for average sized people) down-sized to the accepted 1.0 wing loading and are buying a rig sized for that.

Whilst still doing AFF or static line jumps you want to wait until you're sure you'll continue and know at least a little bit.

I bought my first rig while still on student status, and while it works for me, I totally regret it. Wait and get your A, then start making expensive decisions. You'll quickly find that this is a very complicated decision. WAIT.

I did the same thing with twenty-some jumps, still on student status last spring. Bought a rig with a canopy that was way too big for me simply because it was the smallest canopy I had ever jumped and I didn't want to rent gear when the season here started. It didn't take long before I realized I should have just waited a few months.

I ended up buying another rig and letting the first one sit around for the following several months before I was able to find someone who wanted to buy it for close to what I paid for it. In the end, I didn't lose any money, but I didn't really save any money by making the early purchase to avoid rental costs either.
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

I've only jumped tandem and really have no idea what to buy or how to go about buying other than online. im hoping to start classes and get licenced I'm 6'1 200lbs

If you're that anxious to buy something before you even begin AFF or Static Line, buy a pair of goggles.
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

2. People who down-size no faster than allowed by Brian Germain's chart will be done with their first rig in a couple years and 400 jumps.

you don't want to be ordering a new rig. Some people try to get a rig that they can "grow into" that's too small to use safely at the time they buy it, although with the high cost of lost work, co-insurance, and medical deductibles that often isn't cheaper in the long run.

400 jumps in the first two years would be a bit much for a guy my age, and as far as I'm concerned, I'll consider myself a novice until I have at least 500 jumps and will be flying conservatively wing loaded canopies after that (I'm old, not bold). When I'm ready for something new, I'll have something to pass to my son (he's 20), who will probably take up skydiving with me as soon as he can afford it (not soon).

So you buy a safe-sized used rig as soon as possible. I started jumping mine on jump #13. You sell it when it's no longer an appropriate size for what you paid minus a couple dollars a jump for depreciation.

It's unlikely to be ideal, although you'll be putting so little time on the main canopy (less than a year) that's not a big issue as long as it fits.

This all assumes you've been cleared for self-supervision and (for average sized people) down-sized to the accepted 1.0 wing loading and are buying a rig sized for that.

Whilst still doing AFF or static line jumps you want to wait until you're sure you'll continue and know at least a little bit.

The size thing is the rub for me. I'm a bit larger than average and at the bottom-end of my personal weight fluctuations, appropriately-sized harness/containers are extremely difficult to find. Also, the one I want (won't mention the brand) can handle two main canopy downsizings. I'm not doing it so I can start jumping my own gear before I get an A License (it's all including in the package that I bought anyway). I'm doing it so I don't have to compromise on fit and comfort on openings. I'm getting too old to go home with aches and bruises (even with a perfect opening) every weekend. I think I can just about handle 17 more jumps on student gear. And then there's that potential rental nightmare scenario: Beautiful day. Have the whole day to myself to jump. No rental gear available due to high demand. Go home pissed off. No thanks.
simplify

" Have the whole day to myself to jump. No rental gear available due to high demand. Go home pissed off. No thanks"

been there... twice
the third time i only managed to jump un the sunset (15.000ftB|). but I arrived at 8 am.

40 jumps later i buyed my own used rig.

My 2 cents worth: I bought a slightly used Javelin w/ reserve during about jump #15, it was nice having the same rig and chute which was large student canopy. Total I spent about 3K for the rig, jumped that rig for about 150 jumps, just upgraded main to new Triathlon. I wouldnt get a new container as beginner because it can get messy from less than graceful landings. However with used stuff you will spend money on cypress check, batt replacement and shorter useful cypress life.

Agree with the above. Students often scuff up gear until they get better at landing.

DEFINITELY wait until you are licensed before buying and get lots of opinions b4 plunking down any money. I've seen soooo many students make bad choices in gear and prices paid.

I think a Triathlon is a great canopy for beginners that will also serve you well as an expereinced jumper, just keep the wing loading safe. I jump one and I love it. There are many other fine canopies out there too.

Good luck and keep us posted.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

"I think a Triathlon is a great canopy for beginners that will also serve you well as an expereinced jumper, just keep the wing loading safe. I jump one and I love it."

Just ordered a Triathlon (WL 1:1) on Sunday. So far, I haven't heard anything bad about them, other than "boring" and "slow" from high jump number fun hogs. I'm new enough that everything about skydiving is very exciting, slow canopy flights included. Besides, I've worked for tax attorneys for the past 13 years. I'm "bore-proof". Go ahead, try to bore me, I dare ya!

Joe
simplify

I'll go ahead and say what everyone else is saying...I'm still a student and have no desire to own my own rig before being A licensed...I have however bought my own goggles, alti, and helmet to get started...from one student to another, start small before being licensed