TheDonMan

cadmium residue???? Sunpath what are you charging us for?

I sent a container to Sunpath to have the leg straps replaced on an articulated harness.... the girl slid across the runway and actually tore her leg straps... no other damage was noticed by 2 other riggers including myself...

this is what i got from sunpath...

inspect...........$
disassemble system components... take out reserve ......$$ (not wanted)
replace reserve side flaps plastics (right and left sides) ????? ... $$$
replace harness (chest ring downwards) using new dad (hip rings) and stainless leg adaptors......$$$$

Called about this and rigger inspecting said it was because they found cadmium residue..... WHAT IS THAT??? and why do they have to replace the entire harness...... all we wanted was the leg straps replaced....... why did they need to open the reserve on an articulated harness when all we wanted was the leg straps replaced.... this is the second time i have sent a rig to them and had trumped up charges... the last rig they "had to wash because it smelled like cigarette smoke and they HAD to wash it before they could work on it...... (owner was a smoker)... more $$...

So my question... what does cadmium residue do to fabric?.. and if it is bad why is the industry using it?

ordinary rigger wants to know?...

By the way.. spoke with my DPRE and he want to know as well...

just a question

The world is full of willing people, some willing to work, the rest willing to let them.

Not a rigger but I'll take a stab.

They can do it because they now have the rig and can declare it unairworthy and force you to pay to get it back in service!?!

Just my guess.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

Nickel Cadmium residue gets on everything it rubs against if it's under load for any length of time. For example, risers, hip rings, and chest rings also to some degree ... Non-stainless of course.

What is the actual break down and damage that was incurred by this residue? Have you had the work done arelady? If it's already apart, have the webbing pieces and the old hardware sent back to you.

Cadmium residue is a very non-specific diagnosis. It means absolutely nothing by itself.

According to what I'm reading into it, there is allegedly something wrong with the hip rings causing wear on the harness. (not my diagnosis, just what I'm reading into your post).

The only reason to remove the reserve would be to replace the reserve side flap plastics. Yes it can stay in but 5 minutes to remove and re-attach the reserve will save a lot of headache.

To replace the harness from the chest down is quite simple. The reserve does not need to be touched for that. The harness repair will take maybe an hour for a factory harness builder. That includes unstitching the lower 3 point.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

They took the reserve out cause they will not put a stitch in a rig with a reserve in. Overkill or not, that is their policy.

As for everything else, and explanations on all their policy, try them first.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Just out of curiosity, why did you ship the container with the reserve inside?

I had some work done on my container last month.

Prior to shipping it out, I removed the main, reserve and Cypres.
Less weight to ship, less value to insure.

Not that much work, and I was due for a reserve repack anyway.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

They took the reserve out cause they will not put a stitch in a rig with a reserve in. Overkill or not, that is their policy.

Good policy, in my opinion.

People have died because they accidentally sewed their reserve to their rig, and then tried to use it.

People have died because they accidentally sewed their reserve to their rig, and then tried to use it.

Ok that makes sense, but it seems you should be able to work on legstraps without sewing your reserve to the container. But for work done on the container, seems like a good idea.
BASE 1384

Maybe so but it's impossible to accidentally sew the harness to the reserve. That would not be the reason for removing it.

Maybe so but it's impossible to accidentally sew the harness to the reserve. That would not be the reason for removing it.

Sunpath has told me that they will do NO work on any container without a complete inspection.

I don't know exactly when they started that policy, but it has been in place since at least last November, when I had some emails with them about their services and policies on container repair.

Of course, you can't do a complete inspection with the reserve packed.

I'm surprised that cad plated hardware is still available, or at least that it isn't so expensive because of the toxic nature of cadmium that it would fall out of fashion for cost reasons if nothing else.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Same problem. I had a friend wanting to sell an older javelin and there was a nick in the lateral. I told her to send it back to sunpath to have it looked at. She got raped. They replaced the BOC, bridle cover, several grommets and told her the lateral was fine. She was pretty upset at me. I felt bad....sorta.
my pics & stuff!

Same problem. I had a friend wanting to sell an older javelin and there was a nick in the lateral. I told her to send it back to sunpath to have it looked at. She got raped. They replaced the BOC, bridle cover, several grommets and told her the lateral was fine.

Did they call and get her approval before doing all that?

No one should be performing work on someone's rig without the express permission to do so. If they turn it over to them for one thing, and they want to do more, they should request the customer's permission first. The customer should have the right to say "no", and to have their rig returned to them as-is if they don't want to pay for that extra work.

The customer should have the right to say "no", and to have their rig returned to them as-is if they don't want to pay for that extra work.

I agree with this.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I have used Sunpath many times in the past. In every instance, an email quote has gone out regarding the work to be done and the cost. Nothing has ever been done without my permission. I find it hard to believe that all of that work would have been done without you or the rig owners permission. Maybe instead of spouting off about the problem, to anyone who will listen, why don't you bring it up in a professional manner with Sunpath directly? I have always found them very fair and professional. Just a thought.

I have used Sunpath many times in the past. In every instance, an email quote has gone out regarding the work to be done and the cost. Nothing has ever been done without my permission. I find it hard to believe that all of that work would have been done without you or the rig owners permission. Maybe instead of spouting off about the problem, to anyone who will listen, why don't you bring it up in a professional manner with Sunpath directly? I have always found them very fair and professional. Just a thought.

Just for the record: you responded to the wrong person. I am not the person who is having the problem.

Maybe instead of spouting off about the problem, to anyone who will listen, why don't you bring it up in a professional manner with Sunpath directly? I have always found them very fair and professional. Just a thought.

Just a thought. Try not to imply the original poster is being a tool. Not everyone here has had fair and professional interaction with the manufacturer. Besides, his question is quite valid.

Cadmium Residue in and of itself is not a problem. The grey stuff on your risers and the chafing straps that buffer the Type 8 from hardware is Cadmium residue. Unless the hardware is stainless steel, it's there.

Perhaps there is something missing or misunderstood but I would want to see the actual hardware and the webbing that was removed.

I understand requiring that the rest of the harness, (reserve risers) be inspected therefore opening the reserve container is necessary, but the rest of the work should have been performed only with consent.

TheDonMan, was there consent for all the work to be performed prior to actual work being performed or was it done first and you were billed for it?