sdctlc

Space Ship One

Yep, definitely cool stuff.

While Space Ship One gets a lot of the glory, one photo worth looking at from the Scaled Composites web site is an interior photo of the White Knight. Lots of really high tech flight control systems with really -low- tech backups.

Notice anything of particular interest to skydivers?

http://www.scaled.com/projects/tierone/photos/800/WK%20cockpit%20view%20800.jpg
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Really?

Because I think the photo -had- to be taken near sun RISE.

Yes, the answer IS in the photo, but you have to know what you're looking at.

I won't give the answer in the Forum because some folks might find this to be an interesting riddle.

PM me if you need claification on what you think might be the answer. ;)
quade -

I cant read the info on the GPS but if you can you shouyld be able to see the aircraft bearing, and then look to the suns side, left or right.
If the bearing is north thewn the sun is seeting and if it's right vice versa:)But Paul is probably refering to something else, us non-pilot types would not automatcally notice:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I cant read the info on the GPS but if you can you shouyld be able to see the aircraft bearing

But you can see his bearing.......hint:look out the window by his left foot.;)

But Paul is probably refering to something else, us non-pilot types would not automatcally notice

As a skydiver you better notice it!:P

The runway marker visible at the botom of the window to the left of the pilots left shoe could be a clue a clue, however the picture, and the altimeters just ain't jiving with me.

750 MSL? Is't Mojave higher than sea level? The picture out the windows looks quite a bit higher than 750'.

Maybe I'm reading them wrong.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Can you id the altimeter in question? Make/model?

How would it change your perception of things if that was -maybe- a metric altimeter?

I can't tell but does that maybe look like 2500 feet to you? That's -about- 750 meters.
quade -

Hey I could be wrong. I do recognise the make of alti, but that says nothing as that brand comes in both meters and feet. I was assuming feet as it is a US built A/C, and I was comparing it to the A/C's primary alti on the right side of the panel which I think I'm reading correctly. I've not seen a metric A/C altimeter.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Ha, looks like the gunner position in the Millinium Falcon, even has the display.

Only a true SF geek would clue on that!!! :D:D:D

Good call! B|:D

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I bet Beechcraft wished they had never heard of a canard wing aircraft

There's a bit of history on that obviously touchy subject (for Beechcraft) at that site. Beechcraft makes no mention of the thing on their own site,
and they're in the process of "de-commisioning" most of the run of 53. Sad.

Can you id the altimeter in question? Make/model?

How would it change your perception of things if that was -maybe- a metric altimeter?

I can't tell but does that maybe look like 2500 feet to you? That's -about- 750 meters.

If you look at the third needle on the altimeter on the right I think you'll see that this aircraft has just over 30,000 feet of altitude. The ALTI on the dash, however, will be giving the cabin pressure, which I'm guessing is about 13,000 feet. The needles on metric altimeters point in approximately the same direction as English-measure ones - it's just that the numbers are smaller on the metric dials.

Spencer

"Be braver -- you can't cross a chasm in two small jumps."

>If you look at the third needle on the altimeter on the right I think
> you'll see that this aircraft has just over 30,000 feet of altitude.

??? From the view out those windows, he's around pattern altitude. That's a wide angle lens.

>The ALTI on the dash, however, will be giving the cabin pressure, >which I'm guessing is about 13,000 feet.

I'd guess the baro altimeter on his right is reading around 700 feet, and he's getting ready to turn onto final (which, if that was the first flight, was runway 30.)