abyzet

Packing - Line Order

Ok, so when I was learning to pack I was taught to start with my D lines and work back (or rather forward toward the nose of the canopy) to the A lines. It is my understanding that the 'preferred' method is starting with A lines and working to the D lines. I have had wonderful openings with my current packing method, and see no reason to change it. However, I wonder why this is not the preferred method. Could there be any problems (ie Mals) packing with this method? [:/]

the reason is very simple. Assuming you are PRO packing.

once you put the D lines in the center, the rest of the canopy covers up the C/B/A. Once you work your way back to the As, you will need to go back and pull the B/C/D sets back into the center, thus forcing yourself to do extra work.

Keep in mind - it's how the packjob looks at the end, not how you got there what makes the difference. If you spent 20 minutes mindfucking yourself and used a fucked up super uncomfortable way to get the lines in the center and the material to the outside, you just achieved the same that an experienced packer will do in 5 mins. The end result is the same, but you spent
4x the time doing it :)

On the final note - Please drop the attitude of "if it works, lets not change it" - innovation is the reason we are jumping F111 square reserves mounted on our backs, though twill unsteerable cotton rounds worked (most of the time). Or don't listen to any advice that you don't like , it's a free world.

Ah ok, this makes sense. It may take some getting used to, but I'll give it a try. It's not that I wouldn't change methods, its just this method has worked well for me personally. It does take me a bit longer to pack (not much longer), but I like being thorough. Thanks!

You just don't see the forest from trees. It does not matter from A-D or D-A, the result is the same. If you start with A, you organize your lines at once in place, with D you hold them together and put it in the center when you folded that side ready.

Could there be any problems (ie Mals) packing with this method? Unsure

Sure, many.;)

A/B then B/C then C/D makes for the most efficient pack job.
As long as it ends up with all the lines straight and to the inside, and all the fabric neat (more or less) and to the outside, it will probably open ok.

When I first started, I had trouble seeing the A/B and C/D groups individually. So I was taught to do the B/C divide first because it is the easiest to see because of the slider. Then I went back and did the A/B, but had to neaten the B/C after doing so. It took a little longer, but got the job done.

I don't do it that way anymore, mainly because of efficiency and speed.

I don't see any reason you couldn't have nice openings doing it "forwards" instead of "backwards" as long as it ends up the same in the end.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Please drop the attitude of "if it works, lets not change it" - innovation is the reason we are jumping F111 square reserves mounted on our backs, though twill unsteerable cotton rounds worked...

But experimentation often also kills.

Therefore, it should be done thoughtfully and with all due caution.

Please drop the attitude of "if it works, lets not change it" - innovation is the reason we are jumping F111 square reserves mounted on our backs, though twill unsteerable cotton rounds worked...

I agree.

For example, just because someone has been happy jumping a spring loaded main PC for 30+ years, it does not mean that it's the best tool for the job. Since we have 20+ years of throwout experience in the market, going to a BOC/ROL would be a safe choice. Neither one is a bad choice.

Both methods work well. I prefer to start with the D lines and go up to the A lines because when the D lines are done (more exactly the fabric between the D and the C lines) while gathering the C lines, I keep the D lines in my hands; then while I gather the B lines I still have in hands the D and the C lines and so on...(one side at a time). That way, the lines are maintained in the center of the pack and therefore are less likely to spread out.
A malfunction cannot be the result of any of these two methods provided you keep the lines as much as possible in the centre of the pack. Going from D to A is just a more simple way while using the method I describe. ;)

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

...Since we have 20+ years of throwout experience in the market, going to a BOC/ROL would be a safe choice. Neither one is a bad choice.

That 20-years of throwout pilot chute experience came at a hefty price. When jumpers first started using them as an alternative to spring-loaded pilot chutes, they were mounted on a belly band, and many people died because of the problems that created. Then they switched the location to the leg strap, and still more people died because of loose bridles running around to the pack. And finally, we arrived at the current location, on the bottom of the container, where you can't see what you need to pull, and if you're right arm is disabled, you can't deploy your main canopy. And all for what? To save a few ounces of weight.

Yep, experimentation often kills. Those who want to do it, should proceed with all due caution.

I don't intend this to devolve into yet another "ripcord vs. throwout" debate.
My intended message is that one should not undertake experimentation lightly or in ignorance.

For example, just because someone has been happy jumping a spring loaded main PC for 30+ years, it does not mean that it's the best tool for the job

So, have a hand deploy reserve do ya?

no, I have a ripcord activated reserve. but unlike jumpers of many years past it's located on my back instead of my chest.

things change.

Ok, so when I was learning to pack I was taught to start with my D lines and work back (or rather forward toward the nose of the canopy) to the A lines. It is my understanding that the 'preferred' method is starting with A lines and working to the D lines. I have had wonderful openings with my current packing method, and see no reason to change it. However, I wonder why this is not the preferred method. Could there be any problems (ie Mals) packing with this method? [:/]

There you go. You answered your own question.

The 'preferred method' talk is all ego driven. Either way works well as the other and it doesn't take any more time a-d or d-a. Time comes with experience...plain and simple. D-A simply lets you see and take up the line groups more easily.

Mals caused by packing happen from carelessness...not from proven packing methods.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

the reason is very simple. Assuming you are PRO packing.

once you put the D lines in the center, the rest of the canopy covers up the C/B/A.

BS

Once you work your way back to the As, you will need to go back and pull the B/C/D sets back into the center, thus forcing yourself to do extra work.

BS

Keep in mind - it's how the packjob looks at the end, not how you got there what makes the difference

True

On the final note - Please drop the attitude of "if it works, lets not change it" - innovation is the reason we are jumping F111 square reserves mounted on our backs, though twill unsteerable cotton rounds worked (most of the time).

True up to a point. You gotta add..."but give the innovation to those who know what they are doing and can innovate in a controlled manner."

Or don't listen to any advice that you don't like , it's a free world.

Unfortunately, all too common these days.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I like to start at the left side A-B fold then the left side B-C fold, and around in a clockwise circle. That way you can have the best of both methods.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.