240m3srt

Viso II questions

I jumped a digital altimeter for the first time over the weekend, the Viso II. I love it so far but have some concerns.

I noticed that when the plane first takes off it will not start reading until around 270-320 ft...is this normal?

Also, the thing works great for datalogging, with one small issue. I did one hop and pop and it did not record free fall speed, yet it recorded the jump altitude and deployment altitude. It even recorded the freefall time as 8 sec(didnt feel that long:|)...so is it possible that unless you hit a certain speed for a certain amount of time that it will not record the speed(such as a hop and pop).

Mine works the same way.

The manual that came with your Viso explains this and the varying settings.

Since you are relying on this for accurate information to save your life, it would be a good thing to read before jumping it again. I'm just saying.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

I know in the Protrack it will not record speed unless you are in freefall for over 20 seconds. I am guessing it's similar with the Viso. Think about how the speed is done - it's averaged from the time you leave the airplane (very little vertical speed, mostly bleeding off the forward movement of the plane), to the time you deploy, at which point you are going at or close to terminal. If you do a 4 second delay your average speed will be very inaccurate relative to the speed you were deploying at.

I jumped a digital altimeter for the first time over the weekend, the Viso II. I love it so far but have some concerns.

I noticed that when the plane first takes off it will not start reading until around 270-320 ft...is this normal?

Also, the thing works great for datalogging, with one small issue. I did one hop and pop and it did not record free fall speed, yet it recorded the jump altitude and deployment altitude. It even recorded the freefall time as 8 sec(didnt feel that long:|)...so is it possible that unless you hit a certain speed for a certain amount of time that it will not record the speed(such as a hop and pop).

The Neptune has the exact same issues, and yes it is normal.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

I made 3 jumps this past Sunday with my new Viso II...My instructor jumped it for me the first, then I made 2 jumps after that with it...She jumped from 11K and it recorded her altitude, deployment, speed, time (51 seconds)...my jumps were only from 7K and I logged 16 second freefalls...in the logbook, it displayed her speed...on my jumps, it did not record a freefall speed...BUT, when I went back to the "Last Jump Playback Feature", it did give me a freefall speed, but only on the playback, so I'm not sure...I sent an e-mail to L&B to see what's up...

if it's like the viso (original), there are 3 different jump types. freefall, for normal jumps, slow fall for wingsuits, will log really long freefall times and student, which will record hop'n'pops. i noticed that my freefall time seemed long, and as near as i can figure, it sort of splits the difference on the time you pull to the time you're in the saddle as freefall.

ymmv.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

if it's like the viso (original), there are 3 different jump types. freefall, for normal jumps, slow fall for wingsuits, will log really long freefall times and student, which will record hop'n'pops. i noticed that my freefall time seemed long, and as near as i can figure, it sort of splits the difference on the time you pull to the time you're in the saddle as freefall.

ymmv.

Thanks for the replies guys. I actually did read the manual multiple times but it took me a few days of playing with viso II before i felt effecient going through the different screens and knowing what was what.

Im wondering if your right about it splitting the time between when you pull and when your actually under a fully inflated canopy, especially on hop and pops. The reason i say this is because im almost certain i was not in freefall for 8 sec and only dropped 500 ft.

ymmv.

Thanks for the replies guys. I actually did read the manual multiple times but it took me a few days of playing with viso II before i felt effecient going through the different screens and knowing what was what.

Im wondering if your right about it splitting the time between when you pull and when your actually under a fully inflated canopy, especially on hop and pops. The reason i say this is because im almost certain i was not in freefall for 8 sec and only dropped 500 ft.

Your free fall 'end-time' and 'altitude under canopy' is after you are under an essentially fully inflated canopy.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

splitting the time between when you pull and when your actually under a fully inflated canopy

I just got a new Viso II also. I must be missing something when I read through the manual. How do you tell your Viso that you are removing the pilot chute from the BOC, i.e. pull?

That low, huh? I have had mine start reading as high as 500+ feet. As everyone else here mentioned, it sounds like your Viso is working just fine. Maybe even better than mine becuase I didn't record any data for my h&p jumps.

Make sure you go in and manually adjust the jump number. Also, keep a pair of extra batteries in your bag. They aren't the kind you can just bum off a buddy since they are expensive little critters.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

[reply Also, keep a pair of extra batteries in your bag. They aren't the kind you can just bum off a buddy since they are expensive little critters.

+1
I can only find them locally at Radio (what the hell is that, we are a cell phone store) Shack. If travelling, you don't want to have to spend 1/2 your jump day hunting a pair. About $5 each.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

The Viso does the same, it "feels" the snatchforce from the canopy (sudden loss of speed)

Wrong.

Just a little change in air pressure.

There are little changes in pressure during the whole jump, so what makes it notice the pull?

When you lose so much vertical speed that you cant do while still in freefall the Viso records it as you are under canopy.

The Viso does the same, it "feels" the snatchforce from the canopy (sudden loss of speed)

Wrong.

Just a little change in air pressure.

There are little changes in pressure during the whole jump, so what makes it notice the pull?

When you lose so much vertical speed that you cant do while still in freefall the Viso records it as you are under canopy.

Its not magic, its a barometric device.

+1
I can only find them locally at Radio (what the hell is that, we are a cell phone store) Shack. If travelling, you don't want to have to spend 1/2 your jump day hunting a pair. About $5 each.

psst... Cell phones are radios :D:D:)
"Damn you Gravity, you win again"

psst... Cell phones are radios :D:D:)

Indeed. In fact, any cell phone with Bluetooth is two radios. If you have a fancy smartphone that has WiFi, it is three radios! ;)
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

hello everyone. i was wondering that if viso in student mode can identify hop n pops is there some reason not to use student mode all the time.?

what i'm trying to say: is there some negative things about using the student mode in "normal" lenght freefall jumps?

thanks..