ryan_turner

Rigging and other airman certificates

There are numerous people on this board who are both riggers and pilots, so I figure someone will know the answer to this. Is your rigging certificate and pilot certificate on two separate licenses? I have had my rigging certificate for several years and recently earned my private pilot certificate. I was expecting that I would end up with just one license with multiple listings. Instead I have the same certificate number on two separate ones. Anyone else have a different experience?

It seems that you get a new card for each "certificate" that you are issued by the FAA. In my case I have a Private Pilot, a Rigger and a Repairman Certificate; each on separate cards.

When you obtain any additional ratings, the FAA then updates and reissues you a new certificate that includes your new rating as well. As an example, they would update your Rigger Certificate if you got a Lap Rating or became a Master Rigger. The same if you held a Private Pilot Certificate with a Single Engine Land Rating and added a Glider or Multiengine Land Rating.

It seems complicated, but that keeps the FAA busy.

One benefit that I have found with multiple cards is that I can keep one in my Rigger logbook and one in my flight logbook. I affixed one of the small USPA membership card sleeves in the cover of each logbook to hold the cards in place. That way I keep them available with my records.

nick

There are numerous people on this board who are both riggers and pilots, so I figure someone will know the answer to this. Is your rigging certificate and pilot certificate on two separate licenses? I have had my rigging certificate for several years and recently earned my private pilot certificate. I was expecting that I would end up with just one license with multiple listings. Instead I have the same certificate number on two separate ones. Anyone else have a different experience?

I've got two too.

Word of warning for our older card holders...
If you don't have a plastic license, your time is very limited... The FAA is requiring every one to upgrade to the new plastic licenses in order to continue exercising your privileges. I don't have the dates in front of me, and there are different dates depending on your license (pilot vs rigger vs a&p).

Bottom line - if you still have paper, ask for plastic.
(its free for those still using their SSN IF you simply request a change of license number)

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

I have two cards. One has all my pilot ratings, and the other has only my Senior Rigger certificate. When I check my record on the FAA web site it lists the two sets of ratings on two separate pages, with one for the pilot certificates, and one for the rigger rating. The pilot ratings were earned from 1993 through 1998, and the rigger certificate was earned in 1999.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Hi Jim,

If you don't have a plastic license, your time is very limited... The FAA is requiring every one to upgrade to the new plastic licenses in order to continue exercising your privileges.

You posted this tidbit of info on 2 Mar 10, I contacted the local FSDO the next day & they told me how to do it on-line.

I got my brand, spanking new, shiny license in today's mail.

Those fed can be quick on occasion. B|

Thanks for the info, Jim.

JerryBaumchen

I just learned about the mandatory change to plastic. According to this link

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/expiring_paper_certificates/

Riggers and other folks under part 65 (among others) have until 2013 to make the change. You can do it online for $2.

"Holy s*** that was f***in' cold!"

I just learned about the mandatory change to plastic. According to this link

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/expiring_paper_certificates/

Riggers and other folks under part 65 (among others) have until 2013 to make the change. You can do it online for $2.

However, if you are still using your SSN and apply for a non-SSN registration number, they will send you a new License (plastic) card for free.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...