obid

Student Gear

Adjustable main lift webs are problematic on Javelin, Sidewinder, etc..
A few years back I had to replace frayed MLWs on twenty Student Javelins.

Telesis student rigs (from Rigging Innovations) include tuck tabs on their MLWs, eliminating slippage and minimizing fraying.
Even though I worked at Rigging Innovations, I cannot remember replacing a frayed MLW.

When I was a student I jumped Mirage RTS's, and I can't remember if it happened on all the rigs I jumped (probably not) but the 150 I was jumping right around jump 20-25, one side wouldn't stay tight and I'd have to check it multiple times before and after the jump to readjust it.

Pointless post since I don't have any other comparison ha [:/]

Stay high pull low

Our DZ had a mix of older Vector 2 student rigs and telesis student rigs. We got demos of Student Vector 3 and Telesis 3 rigs and the staff preferred the telesis 3. They are really nice. They are both nice, but it came down to the MLW adjustment. It was just easier on the Telesis. Of course I liked the Vectors because of the skyhook, but we've proven that the Telesis 3 RSL/reserve system works just fine too.

It's great having some new student rigs that fit smaller students well (belly bands seem to help) and that have flaps that stay closed!

Dave

Hi!
We use Vector Student Gears DOM 2004 and are very happy with them. The MLW can be adjusted exactly as you like to do, but you need to be careful to insure that It's the same on both sides.
Where I did my AFF instructor course in 2003 they used pretty knew Telesis gears and they had flaps for about 4 different length, so easier to make it symetrical, but not as much choice as the Vector.
in fact we do not adjust the length for every student. We kind of use an average position and only for realy big or realy small people use the MLW-adjustion.

Have fun buying new gears - I love it :-)
blue skies ffg

We have had our new student equipment at Skydive Spain in Seville for about 6 months now. All Vector student editions, all with adjustable main lift webs. Container sizes range from 220sq ft to 300 sq ft. All the gear has now done about 200 jumps each and we as a centre and me as the rigger are very happy with them.
What I liked about these containers was the flap security, so when you have a student unstable for a while, you are sure the flaps and pins are not moving. Also pleased that all vector student editions come with the skyhook as standard.
And finally from a riggers point of view this container is build modular from lots more pieces. So if for instance your student lands on the runway and rolls around and distroys the reserve flap then you just remove it and stick a new one on without having to rebuild the whole rig. same for the dust covers. genius...

Hope this helps. Jonno