gq108100

mPOD...

Looks like d-bag goes from the container to line stretch really fast without the usual stows slowing it down, wonder if this increases the snatch force on the jumper.

I know the concept of tail pocket types are successfully used in BASE and CREW.

Any riggers have thoughts on this system?

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Do a search on "berger bag" and "bergerbag" to get some history on this idea. SunPath was going to start offering it as an option on their systems back around 2003. There have also been others who have made similar versions of this idea as well. All slightly different but fundamentally the same animal. I know of a few people who are currently using this kind of system that got them back in the day and have continued to use them.

Some of the issues that eventually came to light was as the bag wore out/ broke in, the bags closing mechanism, usually a tuck type tab, became less effective and or took on a shape, just like the same issues with tuck tabs on your riser covers.

Also, it can limit your ability to change out canopy sizes as it creates issues if you go too small or too big and the bag cannot be properly closed, which can have consequences if the canopy starts coming out and inflating before full line stretch.

Some packers are familiar with the system but not all, so for those who don't always do their own packing it may be a show stopper.

Overall, it never caught on as it was seen as "gimicky" and it was a bit pricey, which is why you didn't see any of the manufacturers offering it for very long after they finished testing it out back in early 2003.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

which is why you didn't see any of the manufacturers offering it for very long after they finished testing it out back in early 2003.

if I am not mistaken, BASIK Air Concepts has that type of D-bag on the Seven.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

The big difference with the "7" from Basik is that this bag is closed with magnets where as the bag from Basik is closed with 2 rubberbands and the rest of the coverflap is closed with 2 magnets...Good idea but mine is better...No rubberbands at all...
Aliquando et insanire jucundum est

We have this concept idea somewhere in the manufacturing since years and maybe we will use it. We have to take care of the minus and maximus canopy size to be fit into the bag. The volume issue is very important with such bag. Then the design of the container is important either because the lines volume is display to another part of the container tray....
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

Talk to Mike Vogeleer ([email protected]) about this matter. He's got approx. 1000 jumps with the mPOD and as far as he's concerned there is no noticeable difference on usage between rubberbands, Lazy Bag and mPOD...Skydiving is not a scientific matter...It's hard to measure line deterioration...
Aliquando et insanire jucundum est

Magnets are the modern equivalent of Velcro.

Back in the 1980s, I made a few hundred jumps with main d-bags that had Velcro-closed line stow pockets. Never had a painful opening, but when the Velcro wore out, I reverted to rubber bands because it was too much of a hassle to replace the Velcro.

Maybe (magnetic) technology has caught up with the concept.