Evelyn

Employee Reviews

Does your company do employee reviews? My company does them twice a year. We fill out an evaluation and our supervisor does the same and then we sit down and discuss it. I've always gotten really good reviews, but got one negative point on my latest review. My boss said to me "I think you should try to cut down on your swearing." He said "I've seen the way the guys cringe when you start to swear." (I didn't tell him that's only because they're waiting to see in what direction I'm going to throw something".) I work for a general contractor and I am at a jobsite office with a bunch of guys. I am not a girly girl, I'm more like one of the guys. The boss is kind of a prude and is not around very often. Anyway, just wondering if other companies do these kind of reviews and what kind of comments you've gotten.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

Is it against some -written- company policy?

Be creative and think of -all- the policies this may be against. Possibly a "hostile workplace" policy?

I used to work for one of the most politically correct and repressive companies possible when it came to this sort of thing. Then again, from a legal liability stand point, their policies made -perfect- sense.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Yeah, they're great!!!:P

Got to have mine with my line manager, and his boss. When I was asked if I had met my objectives I said that my line manager had never bothered to set me any.

It then got real funny when my line manager got a severe verbal thrashing from his boss, right there in front of me.B| I should at this point add that my line manager is a complete buttplug.

I of course got the whole show for free from the front seat. Funny enough I got a really good review.

The next one I expect to be even more fun since I STILL have not been set any objectives. :P
Blue Skies
SoftNotes
"That's not flying.... that's falling with style!"

yup my "company" does them for every person it employs... sucks too cuz they have to be done by a certan date every year dependingon the person and they take a lot of time to do, and the wording has to be just right........ but i bet it's far difrent than anything you have ever gotten... it is the military......lol.....

My boss said to me "I think you should try to cut down on your swearing." He said "I've seen the way the guys cringe when you start to swear." (I didn't tell him that's only because they're waiting to see in what direction I'm going to throw something".) I work for a general contractor and I am at a jobsite office with a bunch of guys. I am not a girly girl, I'm more like one of the guys. The boss is kind of a prude and is not around very often.

For some reason, people feel as though they must find something "wrong" on employee reviews. I think its a lack of training in personnel counseling. We all have strengths and weaknesses and as long as the strengths outweigh the weaknesses, then one should leave the counseling session on a high note.

For example, rather than saying you curse too much, he could have said, "You are a very effective employee and accomplish most of the goals placed before you in a timely and efficient manner. As such, you are a little more under the microscope for promotion consideration than most. If I could share with you one thing that could improve your chances in that consideration for promotion, would you be interested? As one moves up within the organization, they will find themselves interacting with those more at the executive or architectural level. You're going to find that indulging in vulgarities may be effective amongst the contractors and you have demonstrated that situational effectiveness. Perhaps you could begin to practice ways of communicating the same intensity while concurrently reducing those vulgarities so that when the time comes for you to interact with those at that executive or architectural level, that transition will be much smoother."

Situationally, one should emulate the communication patterns of the environment and needless to say a female who indulges in vulgarities within the construction arena is going to be more respected by the ranks as one who does not need to be walked on eggshells around. I would venture to say, the guys admire you for not being one of those prissy girls that is offended by vulgarities and makes the majority of the "guys" feel like THEY might be creating the "hostile workplace."

Your job is to be effective amongst the majority and not reactive to the prudish minority. Having said that, he is your boss and perhaps just while he's around, you could tone it down. He is entitled to his perception and you don't want that single thorn to fester into reasons for dismissal.

Better to find something else on your terms, than have to find something on their terms.

I really don't mind those reviews, besides, I always get the same "advise", "...Dude, you better learn how to delegate better, and STOP being a PERFECTIONIST and a CONTROL FREAK, by the way...good job" :)

We do it once a year. I have been through it once so far and it got me a raise and promotion after being at the company for only 9 months. I was pretty floored by the review my manager wrote, but it was also right after my program was cancelled and he knew there were going to be layoffs.

Dave

Does your company do employee reviews?

My boss gets pissed off about something and gives us a review right then and there. When she calmes down, she usually drops it and gives us constructive critisism. I've just learned to take these things in stride.:)
=========Shaun ==========

We get ours done in March pretty much bullshit. Our boss types up something, gives it to his boss who signs it. Then we get a raise if the company is giving one that year on April 1st. Pretty fucked up ya ask me. The raises are best when given on April Fools day though. Some sick twisted human res. mgr came up with the day of April 1st to hand out raises.

7 years with present employer have gotten 12% worst year was a 1% and best was a 6%

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Does your company do employee reviews? My company does them twice a year. We fill out an evaluation and our supervisor does the same and then we sit down and discuss it. I've always gotten really good reviews, but got one negative point on my latest review. My boss said to me "I think you should try to cut down on your swearing."

Tell him to fuck off.

Supposed to. So far they're pretty informal discussions, we're a pretty informal office. That has good points and bad, it makes it hard to bring up my concerns, but goes good on my ego, since I generally get told I'm doing great.:):$

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein